GX7 Issues?!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rabican, Dec 3, 2013.

1. rabican

rabican Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2012
    All,

I wanted some feedback on some issues my new GX7 (less than a week old) is having.
    I've been playing lightly (going through the features mainly) and so far it's had two minor issues listed below:

1) I took a photo (creative mode) and right after snapping it the LCD screen went blank (off) and the EVF went black (black image). I couldn't fix the issue (switching dials or turning it on/off). When I switched it off the camera light remained on and didn't seem to respond to any inputs. I finally pulled the battery to resolve the issue.

2) A day or two later I was playing around and after taking a photo (P mode) the screen turned purple (lines of purple running up and down). I turned it off and on and it resolved the issue.

My question is:
    - do you think this is a bug with all GX7's that may be resolved with a future firmware update?
    - do you think this is a defect of ONLY MY GX7 and I should exchange it?
    - do you think this is a defect of all GX7's and I should return it and buy a different camera......EM1? :(

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions!

EDIT: Besides these minor bugs, I LOVE the camera!
    If anyone works at Panasonic reads this please PM me for contact info ;)

2. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Can't give you any definitive answer except to say in my 3 weeks of GX7 ownership I have not had anything resembling the issues you describe. Have you updated to the latest firmware?

3. rabican

rabican Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2012
    Yes, I updated the firmware the first day. Do you think I can call Panasonic about the issues to see there thoughts?
    I just need to exchange in time for the return period if infact it is my model...less work than warranty repair (if they can even reproduce) if it starts to happen more often.

4. natex

natex Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 22, 2011
    I would definitely call them. It can't hurt anything except a few minutes of wait/talk time. Make sure to tell them that what is happening is getting of the way of normal operation of the device you bought.

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I've not seen anyone else report this. I would return it for a replacement, and let the dealer deal with sending it back to Panasonic. If you return it to Panasonic for repair you could be without the camera for weeks.

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The first issue might not be anything, but the lines of purple running up and down the screen sounds like you got a bad one. I had that happen on a camera once and it was fried. It was a few years old and well out of warranty, but it wasn't repairable... Call 'em while it's all under warranty. Or if it's within 30 days and you can return it for an exchange, do that.

FWIW, I have a GX7 also and haven't had ANY issues at all...

-Ray

7. rabican

rabican Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2012
    Thanks for the input ray & others! I'm going to return it...I must have gotten a bad unit :(

8. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    I think that's a wise decision. I've had my GX7 for almost a month, and nothing like what you've described has happened to mine.

9. Ultbruin

Ultbruin Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 30, 2013
    I have had my GX7 for almost 4 weeks, taken close to 3000 pictures and have never had what you describe happen. Likely a defective unit.

10. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Mine is a first day ship in the US and haven't seen these problems.

11. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I had the first issue once. I don't remember what I was doing, but the same thing happened. I'll certainly keep an eye out for that or other issues.... I've had it about 24 hours

Edit: I have had issues with the wifi. It seems to connect to my iPad without problems, and transferring pictures to my iPhone works every time, but remote control with the phone is inconsistent. Sometimes, after connecting and telling me to start the iPhone app, it will not switch to remote control... It will just stay in the opening phase and I have to back out of wifi and try again. Renewing the lease on the phone seems to help, but I'm having trouble isolating the issue. iPad 2, iPhone 5, both running ios7. Any tips or insight?

12. rabican

rabican Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2012
    The wifi seems to work fine but NF doesn't appear to work at all on mine.
    Mine does something that I thought was weird also, sometimes the screen would get choppy like it's lagging behind real time, My old EPL2 never did anything like this...at first I just thought it was normal but now I'm thinking it's another sign that it's defective.

I contacted Amazon and they're shipping me a new one (free 2 day shipping, comes tomorrow) and I'll return this one when it arrives. Amazon has the best customer service :)

13. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    On M, live view slows down on slower shutter speeds. It's like SS frame rate. So you would think it's freezing when you have the shutter speed at 10 seconds because it actually updates every 10 seconds. It's normal. But I don't know how to turn it off haha. And that's really just my issue with the camera. There are some menu options I can't find.

14. rabican

rabican Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2012
    I had a feeling it was something like that.
    I've noticed it in P though...

15. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    The choppy screen sounds like you hit shutter speed effect twice. The first time you hit it (shutter speed effect on), it gives aperture preview, the second time you hit it (when it says shutter speed effect off.. counterintuitive huh?), it gives the effect of the shutter speed and the preview will be choppy. Choppy and sharp if you have a high shutter speed set, choppy and blurry if you have a low shutter speed set, giving you a preview of the effect of your shutter speed on your photos. I'm sure for someones photography its an indispensable feature, but I never use it, and its implementation seems to have suffered in the Japanese--->English translation.

The iPhone remote on mine via wifi can still be buggy, but renewing the lease on the phone seems to have fixed it for the most part. Im wondering if linking to 2 iOS devices of different tech generations is causing issues. They seem to crop up only after switching from one to the other.

Edit: shutter speed effect is pg 38 in the larger PDF manual and (I think) factory default assigned to Fn5

16. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    It apparently happens in every mode. If you turn it on. It happens automatically in M though. I found a function that I can assign to a button called 'Preview'. It toggles it but the on screen prompt is confusing. It says 'Shtr Speed Effect Off Fn5" but it seems to be turned on, and it locks the shutter speed (on A and P) even if I move the camera around. I have to have press the shutter or press Fn5 again to get it back to normal. Really weird.

17. rabican

rabican Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2012
    I reproduced the black screen vissue in creative mode. Had to pull the battery to remedy.

18. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    what did you do to reproduce it?

19. rabican

rabican Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2012
    I switched to each creative mode making minor adjustments then taking a pic. Screen went glowing black, evf off and power switch wouldn't work.

20. rabican

rabican Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2012
    I received my replacement and it just seems to work smoother and hasn't had a problem yet (shot a lot on sat). Ill keep you posted.