GX7 Image Stabilization

mark111

Mu-43 Rookie
I own an Olympus E-PL5, currently I have a set of unstabilized primes Olympus 45 1.8, Panasonic 25mm 1.4 and Panasonic 20mm which I use for most of my shooting. I am not planning to buy any other lenses.

I mainly shoot on the street at night time with hand held shots so I find that the E-PL5 I get about 2 stops of stabilization so this is great, but I got the chance to use the GX7 a few weeks ago and I really liked the controls, the grip and the EVF (although I wish the EVF didn't protrude so far as it makes the camera too big to fit into the pocket) I did not get to test the image stabilization on the camera.

So I just thought i'd ask about user experiences of the in body IS system say compared to an Olympus E-PL5? worse/better/equal?

Thanks

mark111

Mu-43 Rookie
Very nice picture, from what I read on the internet (from early reviews a year ago) the consensus seemed that they could not consistently get over 1 stop which was a bit disappointing for me. I can usually get 2 with the E-PL5 which is extremely useful for night shooting.

mark111

Mu-43 Rookie
It can just about fit into a very large coat pocket with the 20mm 1.7. I also own a GX1 which can fit into my pockets with the 20mm 1.7, however the GX1 is noisy at night above ISO 400 and has no IS. I know this sounds like complaining (which it is!) but I like everything about the GX7 apart from the way the EVF protrudes, the compactness/pocket size is important to me as I already have a DSLR kit and if I need to bring a seperate camera bag I would just use the DSLR kit.

I did a check on camera size comparison which I posted in another thread to check my own sanity .

You can see the difference here

http://j.mp/1qcDHkf

39mm vs 54mm so it's quite significant nearly 40% deeper.

CiaranCReilly

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ciaran Reilly
I don't think one would be advised to switch from Olympus to Panasonic and expect the same level of in-body stabilisation, an OM-D or E-PL7 + VF-4 sounds like your best upgrade path

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I've had an E-PL5 and now have a GX7. The EPL5 had the older Olympus 2 axis IBIS. The GX7 is comparable to that, i.e, 1-2 stops. It's not as good as the 3 axis IBIS in the EM10/EPL7 or the 5 axis IBIS in the EM5.

Serhan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I guess my experience was a little better with gx7 then epl5. EPL5+evf with 14-150mm at 150mm and over 1/300 sec day time shot had vibr. With gx7+75-300 I can do at least or better w/ e-shutter then e-p1/2/3... GX7 is definitely better w/ bigger lenses as I use with Oly 75mm also...

Grinch

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I haven't used an epl5, but have an E-m1 and a GX7 and find that a lot of the time the difference in stabilization is minimal. By the way, my hands shake constantly due to medical reasons, and I can't use a cam without stabilization.
If it works for me, it should probably be fine for you.
Your issue with the viewfinder could probably be resolved by putting a leash( a string) on the eyecup and remove it when not shooting. It will still be attached to camera but will make it less cumbersome to fit in a pocket.

Tinderbox (UK)

Mu-43 Regular
I have had the GX7 and upgrade to the EM5 for the 5 axis IS it`s supposed to have up to 5 stops of IS, if you have a steady had you can get a sharp image with an 2" exposure and that is amazing

John.

Dave Lively

Mu-43 Regular
I usually find I get about 1 stop of improvement with the IBIS on my GX7. That helps but not as much as what most people seem to get with the 5 axis IBIS on Olympus cameras. That seems consistent with what I have seen on the internet too.

I have read a few people that get better results with the GX7 than 5 axis though. It might have to do with the nature of the camera shake with one system being better able to compensate for large but slow and steady movement and the other being better at small but fast and erratic camera movement. So while most people are going to get better results with 5 axis IBIS you might be one of the lucky few that gets similar results with the GX7.

The GX7 does pretty well at high ISO values too. I suspect it is similar to the EPL-5 but you should check to see if you will be able to shoot at the same or even higher ISO values to compensate for not having as effective IBIS.

In general I really like my GX7. Lots of controls, electronic shutter, an EVF and still pretty compact.

Tinderbox (UK)

Mu-43 Regular
Looks like he had a faulty EM5 or incorrect settings is my only explanation for the results as there is so many glowing reviews of the EM5 IBIS

EDIT : I just did a 1" exposure at f16 at 50mm with my arms out stretched holding the camera and the image was sharp

John

Fri13

Mu-43 Veteran
Looks like he had a faulty EM5 or incorrect settings is my only explanation for the results as there is so many glowing reviews of the EM5 IBIS

EDIT : I just did a 1" exposure at f16 at 50mm with my arms out stretched holding the camera and the image was sharp

John
It depends from objective too.

I get handheld outdoor photos easily 3-4" with 50-75% success rate by standing. If it is 1-2" then it goes around 80-90% success even by taking from extended arm standing.

But when it comes to Olympus 60mm Macro, E-M1 IBIS is almost ineffective for me.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
If you want good in body IS get the Olympus OMD's but having tried all of them in a shop I feel that apart from the EM1 the GX7 seems a better built body. I would not turn my nose up at the EM10 though it is a very nice body and from the sounds the more ideal camera for you, actually the EM5 might be a better choice if it gives you a stop or more extra. I think a used EM5 is slightly less than a new EM10 nut then with the EM10 you can use all your batteries from the EPL5 which is a bonus.

westcan

Mu-43 Regular
here is a general question for everyone - how do you know when the camera decided to use the IBIS?

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
here is a general question for everyone - how do you know when the camera decided to use the IBIS?

There's no "deciding to use", it's either on or off and when on is constantly adjusting -- this is why the manuals tell you to disable stabilization when on a tripod.

mark111

Mu-43 Rookie
If you want good in body IS get the Olympus OMD's but having tried all of them in a shop I feel that apart from the EM1 the GX7 seems a better built body. I would not turn my nose up at the EM10 though it is a very nice body and from the sounds the more ideal camera for you, actually the EM5 might be a better choice if it gives you a stop or more extra. I think a used EM5 is slightly less than a new EM10 nut then with the EM10 you can use all your batteries from the EPL5 which is a bonus.

I prefer the GX7 design over the Olympus EM10/EM1 it's very understated and it looks like a regular point and shoot which I like. I have the E-PL5 and I am not keen on the Olympus menu system.

Having looked at prices from the online store I purchase my cameras from I get

GX7+20mm = £539 (I already have the 20mm so I could sell this for £180) giving around £370
EM10 +14-42 = £519
EM1+kit lens £890

At those prices the GX7 seems like a no brainer
EM10+

hemuni

Mu-43 Regular
I have both a gx7 and an ep5 and for me the ibis performance is abot the same, when it comes to stills. My unscientific tests has been with an oly 40-150 and a 40mm legacy lens and I get just as many keepers on both systems. The ep5 ibis is subjectively better because it stabilizes the viewfinder, but I don't see it giving me better results in images. I find the gx7's ibis, electronic shutter and option to release on half press, to be very stable for handheld night shooting.

Latest threads

Top Bottom