GX7 image stabilization shooting video

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by aeromonte, Nov 5, 2013.

1. aeromonte

aeromonte New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2013
    Sorry for the newbie question...

I pre-ordered a black GX7 with 14-42 II lens from B&H (still waiting) and have a question about the 14-42 II lens and shooting video:

I know the GX7 can not take advantage of it's in body image stabilization while shooting video. I have read that you need a lens with IS built in to the lens for it to work with video.

My question is: It appears to me that the new 14-42 II kit lens says OIS on the lens. Does this lens have stabilization? If so, why wouldn't it work in video?

Does the Panasonic 14-45 (that most people say is better) have in lens stabilization?

Basically I'm wondering: how do you know what lenses have the proper "in lens stabilization" to work with the GX7 while shooting video?

Any suggestions?

2. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    The 14-42 II has lens stabilization, all Panasonic lenses has OIS do have Image Stabilization (IS), All Olympus M4/3 lenses do not have any IS, you can enable GX7's in-body IS and use any lenses that without IS for still, you need Panasonic lenses with IS for video.
  3. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
  4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    NOT all Panasonic lenses have OIS. Most do, but not all. The 20mm and 25m, for example, don't have IS. Nor does the simply brilliant 7-14.

But I believe all the zooms do, and any lens that says OIS on it will provide IS for video with any Panasonic camera.

As for comparing the latest 14-42 and the older 14-45, I don't think there's much to choose between them optically. The new 14-42 seems to be very good indeed for a kit lens.