1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 IBIS, missed the boat...?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    From.....
    Lumix GX7 Review Part 2 - Sensor, Shutter and In Body Stabilization - Small Camera BIG Picture

Don’t expect the GX7 IBIS to be as effective as what you might be used to in the Olympus OMD system if you currently have one but this is a effective IBIS system.

One of the very best features of 'any' camera, IMVHO, is the IBIS of the EM5.

Pity, because I'd fallen in love with the GX7.

EDIT.

From....
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-gx7-vs-olympus-om-d-e-m5-comparison-review-22646

If you shoot video, the GX7 has more options and settings as well as a full range of frame speeds, however as the in-body image stabilisation isn't active in video mode, you would be best investing in optically stabilised lenses. The Olympus OM-D E-M5, with 5-axis image stabilisation, does an excellent job at stabilising the video, regardless of what lens is on the front. Choosing between the two is an extremely tough choice, as the cameras are extremely closely matched, and I think it would be difficult to be disappointed with either of them.

2. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Don't you worry, GX8 will have it and it will be better than all present ones :thumbup:

Only uncertain thing is how Panasonic will draw the line between IBIS and OIS.

3. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Why have you posted two separate threads about another member's review? We can discuss it here.

4. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    For sure! How does the ISO performance at ISO 51200 in the GX8 compare to the GX7 @ 25600?!?

5. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I agree with the review. Having Wifi in the GX7 made me immediately think of Starsky and Hutch and Chuck Norris right away.

What's next? IBIS reminding me of Mister Bump?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQs9fW9AgpPNIpb1hLWteEgTXBQ5Ok4zXRrbR5_NylMwOiB0_LDaw.

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    GX8!!!!??? Where in the heck did that come from? Is there even any rumor (aside from this post) of such a thing!?

7. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Snip

8. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I don't understand the title?

9. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    "as the in-body image stabilization isn't active in video mode"

This is the main thing keeping from ordering the GX7...

10. wreckless

wreckless Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2011
    Michigan
    Mike
    Does there need to be? I mean really, Tom, are you expecting progress to stop with the GX7...?

11. Magnus

Magnus New to Mu-43

Aug 16, 2013
    I've heard from people that have used it that it only gives you around a stop of IS, not nearly what I had hoped for, but hopefully they'll be able to soon catch up with oly

12. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    So buy a tripod.

MAN does the whining and hand-wringing about IBIS get old.

13. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I haven't seen any rigorous reviews of the IBIS that clearly demonstrated that the reviewers knew what they were doing. I would agree that IF the IS is only good for 1-stop, compared to more like 2-stops on the 2-axis Olympus models, then that would be next to useless, and certainly quite disappointing, and be a big issue for me in choosing this camera - especially compared to a G6 that will no doubt cost quite a bit less. For me, if it really is about 1 stop, I would effectively discount the feature and treat the camera as though it didn't have IBIS at all - which means to me, it's simply not worth $1000, when I can get a used or refurb OM-D for well under $700 now - and maybe $500 by early next year, or, probably a new E-P5 with a viewfinder for not much more than $1000 by the beginning of next year.

I don't need, nor expect the GX7 IBIS to be in the class of 5-axis IBIS of the OM-D or E-P5. But I DO expect it to be in the class of 2-axis IBIS of the E-PL5 or my current E-PL2. And if it's not, I would have to conclude that Panasonic's implementation of IBIS to be a failure. I await the comprehensive, competent reviews to answer that question, as well as the Sensor quality, with some rigor. It would be a genuine shame if Panasonic really nailed the feature set and ergonomics of the GX7 as they appear to have, and then botched the execution of the camera's internals.

14. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    If you use non OIS long glass or video then the lack of IBIS might be a break the deal feature. In any other scenario IBIS is not that important, I am using G5 without IBIS and not suffer from blur. The IBIS and OIS are over emphasized you can take great photos with some care taking.
    The picture bellow was shot handheld using 50mm at 1/20 second

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehudlavon/9366988140/" title="Night Shift by Ehud Lavon, on Flickr"> 9366988140_9dd181c418_b. "1024" height="640" alt="Night Shift"></a>

15. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Actually, this kind of post gets old. If you don't value IBIS, fine, but stop criticizing or belittling those who do. One of the key selling points of the GX7--probably second only to its built-in EVF--is IBIS. I can certainly see how someone contemplating this camera would be concerned about how well the IBIS works, which is all this thread is about.

But as dougjgreen says, let's wait for the rigorous reviews before really kvetching.

16. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    For the hundredth time, this depends on what you shoot. The notion that IBIS is "not that important" for shorter lenses is completely wrong for some people, like me. Here's an example. This shot (with the 17mm) would not be possible without IBIS.*

PX100052-bw-cor2.

*the only way to shoot this otherwise would be with a tripod, and a tripod was 100% out of the question in this environment for cultural reasons.

AGAIN, it depends on what you like to shoot, and how you like to shoot, and when (light) you like to shoot. I find that IBIS is incredibly useful with WA and normal lenses, but that's me. As always, YMMV.

• Like Like x 1
  17. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Nice shot, how long was the exposure.

18. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    17mm, 1/3 second

Thanks! 1/3 second, but I also got sharp ones down to 1/2 second. As I've written elsewhere, the percentage of keepers drops at speeds this slow, but you get some, and that's the key. About 50% of my shots in the 1/3-1/2 second range were sufficiently sharp to keep.

19. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    And with proper technique, I can get 1/3 to 1/2 second shots without IS (20mm pancake and 28mm adapted). While it is nice to have, I do understand the people who freak out if it doesn't have it, but overall, it is not a necessity.

I think this is where I substantially disagree (and so do most other people who don't worry about IBIS). I am sure it helps, but it is possible to handhold.

20. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Yes, I use fast legacy glass from 50mm to 300mm. That's the reason I need IBIS. BTW, I use my G5 without it. But the degree to which the GX7 would give me something my G5 does not, is mitigated if the IBIS is worthless - right now, I use an E-PL2 when I need IBIS. I'd like to get something with better IQ, that also works well with my 7-14mm and 20mmm lenses.