GX7 IBIS logic annoyance

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by tkbslc, Dec 29, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've been getting annoyed at the shutter speed decisions my GX7 is making. It is almost as if the camera just uses the same exposure logic as any other Panasonic without IBIS. For example, I have my 75mm prime on the camera, shooting indoors and auto ISO, and it still picks 2x EFL as if it had no stabilization. I know I can get at least 2 stops, if not 3. But it picks 1/160 no matter what the light is. The only way I can get it to actually use shutter speeds that make use of IBIS is if I use manual or shutter priority.

Is there a setting I'm missing, or is it just the way the exposure program works?
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The same thing is true for just about every ยต4/3 camera I have. The only exception is the E-M1 in silent shutter mode. You can also use Program mode and then shift it to a shutter speed/aperture combination you like. (people seem to like 17 different means to the same end).
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, in my experience with the GX7, I really don't think the IBIS is doing much, so maybe Panasonic are playing it safe ;)
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I can at least get 2 stops. I just wish it would better sense when the light is low and try to use it more. Rather than jump to Auto ISO 8000 and 1/160, why not ISO 3200 and 1/60?

I guess I just need to be less lazy and take over the ISO and SS control when I'm in low light.
  5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Or you could just set an upper limit for ISO or set it manually and then use the "Programme Shift" function. A couple of clicks on either wheel gets you your two stops slower shutter speed.

Verify this on your camera; I'm 200 miles from mine. "Programme Shift" is a neat option that I keep resolving to make more use of.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    If it makes you feel better, even my Olympus cameras do this. They'll bump ISO up to keep shutter speeds higher than necessary, at least for how I photograph. (It could benefit the average user that's shooting a lot of pictures of people.)

To counter this, I set the high end of auto-ISO to 800. If the camera really needs 1600 or 3200, I usually know before the camera does. I do wish I could set some rules for when it switches ISO, my Ricoh allows me to set a minimum shutter speed.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    On Oly bodies, lowering the min flash sych speed will help.