1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7...I want to shoot w/ EVF, but have playback/menu on LCD...how?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by LowriderS10, Aug 10, 2016.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi everyone,

So this will be the first of many questions concerning my new (to me) GX7. I have my E-M5 set up so that I shoot with the EVF (set on eye sensor, so if the camera is not near my eye, nothing is working, if my eye is near, then the EVF is working) and for menu and playback, I use the LCD. This is exactly what I'd like to figure out with my GX7, but so far all I've been able to do is to either have EVERYTHING (shooting, menu, playback) on either the LCD or the EVF...this is kind of annoying, because I hate shooting with the LCD, but playback on the EVF is a joke...as is menu diving...please help!!

Also, I seem to recall reading something about the GX7 having some sort of a special mode to focus on stars...how do I enable that?

(I know, I know, I should read my manual, and I will...but it's after midnight, and I just drove 3 hours to get this camera...I'll read it tomorrow! ;) )...thanks in advance!

2. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve here? Be default it's all driven by the eye sensor so, if you want to look at something in the EVF then just look through the EVF, and if you want to look at something on the rear screen, just look at the rear screen. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm struggling to understand what else you want to do :confused-53:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    EVF / LCD configuration options are a strong point on Olympus bodies and (IMHO) a weak points for Panasonic.

The best you can do with the Pan is push the display button until the blank screen is displayed. Then the eye sensor works to turn on/off the EVF while the menus and playback will still display on the LCD (and in the EVF if it's up to your eye or the sensor is blocked).

But if you hit the display button at any time while shooting you have to cycle back through to blank again. You can't disable individual display screens (EVF / LCD) as you can on Oly bodies.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thank you!! That did the trick! :) (Also, with cycling through these options I discovered the level...I think I like Olympus's unobtrusive implementation better, but hey...it's good to know this thing has one!). Thanks again. :)

5. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I guess I should have done a factory reset on the camera, but I started playing around with it as soon as I got it, so I didn't want to erase my own settings (I got it used, so some settings were his, some mine). The camera was basically doing either everything on the LCD or everything on the EVF...I wanted to shoot on EVF and review/menu on LCD... @davidzvi@davidzvi completely solved that problem for me, so I'm all good now. :)

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    One nice thing about the Pan displays. I have two of the on screen buttons set to turn on and off the level and histogram. While you can cycle through the display options for level on or off I hate doing it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah, that's pretty cool! Although, I've found that once I like a setup that works for me, I just leave it like that.

I have a question about the original problem, though...so I set it up the way you suggested, but like this, I need to cycle through the DISP options EACH AND EVERY TIME I turn the camera on or it comes out of Sleep mode...is this the only way to do it? Rather annoying... :/

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I don't use the blank screen option. But it seems to do the same on my GX85 as you're seeing on the GX7.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    You could set the blank screen mode to a function button (I have it set to f4) just to avoid the annoyance of going through the display options!

• Like Like x 2
  10. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks, that's good to know!

11. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks very much for your insight...I think you're right...that might be the only way to do it (how silly is that??!!) I've always had my cameras set up so that I'm using the EVF for shooting and the LCD for review and menus...oh well, I think this GX7 and I might part ways rather quickly...it's a nice camera, but I'm not seeing any reasons why I should keep it over/beside the E-M5. :p

12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm still not sure what you are asking. How could you review images on the LCD if your eye is in the EVF?

13. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    That's not what I'm trying to do. Basically, the GX7 lets you shoot/review/menu on EITHER the EVF or the LCD. The E-M5, lets you split up the tasks...so I can shoot on the EVF, and menu/review on the LCD (at separate times). With the GX7, if I am using the EVF to shoot, then I want to review or use the menus, that shows up on the EVF too. If I want those thins to be on the LCD, then as soon as I take my eye away from the EVF while shooting, the live image goes onto the LCD as well (which is what I don't want). Lol not sure if this is any more clear, I guess you have to use it to get it, but it's frustrating.

14. tkbslc

A little more clear. I'm envisioning that you want it to operate like an SLR.

And, Yes, on the GX7, the LCD/EVF switch is basically a full A/B toggle. I don't think there is a way around it. At the same time, I don't think there is any real problem with the implementation of the GX7's screens and MOST people would expect a mirrorless camera to operate the way the gX7 does.

• Like Like x 1
  15. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    While I don't disagree, it does work as many would think it should. But having it work DSLR like would probably extend battery life. And it's an option on Olympus bodies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yes, but not all. ;) There's obviously a reason the E-M5 is designed the way it is...one of the selling points of higher end mirrorless is the customizability, and they're also trying to attract current DSLR users...therefore, it would make all sorts of sense for as many functions to behave like DSLRs as possible. ;)

17. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Absolutely! Plus, I think (obviously haha) that it's the most sensible way to use it...using the EVF to shoot...makes sense. Using the LCD to review and menu dive...makes sense...quite frankly, I find reviewing photos and diving menus on the EVF very annoying; I'm sure I'm not the only one! :)

18. tkbslc

I've never changed the menu settings through the EVF. I pull camera away from eye and then press menu to change settings. Same with playback. I pull camera away from face and press play button.

19. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Do you have a GX7?

Here's the issue I'm having...I have two choices: EVERYTHING on EVF, or EVERYTHING on LCD. Which means, that if I pull my eye away from the EVF, the live image will appear on the LCD if I want to use the LCD for other stuff. If I have it set up so that shooting is solely on the EVF, then playback and menu are on EVF as well.

20. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Which firmware version does your GX7 have? Latest firmware is 1.3, the display does not have the blank screen anymore and whatever display you choose it remains when switching the camera off. You can choose the on-monitor recording information display (Olympus calls it Super Control Panel) so every time you take the GX7 away from your eye the relevant information is there.

It seems that Panasonic does listen to it's customers now and then. ;)