1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

gx7-gx8 long exp without dark frame

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mauro, Aug 29, 2015.

1. mauro

mauro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    near Venice, Italy
    Hi, I have a em1 that I love, I recently started to shot nightscapes like milky way etc. wioth a star tracker.
    As you know the em1 has poor performance in long exposures shots taken without dark frame subtraction.
    I recently sold my G6 and I'm searching for another Panasonic camera as second body, I like the gx7 and the new gx8.
    I haven't found on the net information about these two cameras how perform in this situation, I know that omd's with sony sensors do a excellent job (I owned a em5) but I don't like other things and I prefer a Panasonic body.
    Have someone tried to shot nightscapes with dark frame off with gx7 or gx8?

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think the GX8 is a bit worse thanks to its higher pixel density...

3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    That's only true for when comparing sensors using the same generation technology. The GX8 has a 3 year newer sensor, and may actually have less noise. Using a 1999 truism is probably not the best thing for 2015 devices.

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would agree, except for seeing actual samples like this:
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3884046

5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    S/N performance that most valid as a measured value. There are too many variables to draw conclusions from images posted on the web. I've seen samples from the GX8 on the web that favorably compares the noise to the D750 (processed from RAW). So what?

6. mauro

mauro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    near Venice, Italy
    Dpreview 's samples don't sokve the question about the long exposures noise level.
    For exhample em1 has better high iso performance than em5 but em5 has a way better long exposure performance than em1.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I believe that the GX8 performs much better than the GX7 at long exposures without dark frame subtraction. This is based on a hunch because the GX7 was not very good at it, and the GX8's bulb mode has allowed 30 minute exposures, up from 4 minutes on the GX7.

The main problem with the GX7 is that it tends to get prominent purple photon noise, usually along the edge of the frame, if you don't use the long-exposure NR. It's removable to a large degree with PP subtraction methods if you shoot a proper dark frame, but it does much better with the in-camera long-exposure NR. Not great if you're trying to do star-trails, obviously.

I haven't seen the GX8 in action here, but I think it will be up there with the E-M5 and GH3 at long-exposures. Like I said, just a hunch, need to get some samples out there.

8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    This isn't much of a test, as I think they are actually JPEGs, but there appears here to be very little difference between long exposure NR on and off with the GX8 @ 1 minute long.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56156257