1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX7 from sunset electronics or 6ave

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by yehuda, Apr 27, 2014.

1. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Hi.

I have a GX7+20mm order pending via sunset electronics on Amazon and after reading (sadly this was after making the order) the comments here in the forum I wish to cancel this order.

The order status is 'preparing to ship' and has been the same for 2 days now. The estimated shipping date (not delivery, shipping) is April 28,2014.

I sent a message to sunset via amazon requesting a cancellation due to personal reasons. Is there any way I can contact Amazon directly stating my assumption that this is false advertising etc. (gray market Japanese model) and have them force sunset to cancel the order?

I have also seen 6ave advertising the black GX7 for 621 USD (plus 10 dollars in the US using Fedex express 2-day).

I am slightly reluctant about this - does anyone have any concrete advice here (other than 'sounds fishy')?

Is this the same trouble I'm trying to avoid from sunset electronics?

I'd appreciate your sound advice as soon as possible... Thanks a lot!

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I have had issues once before with Amazon resellers, and Amazon made good and credited me a refund when the reseller was giving me the run around. Check and make sure everything is OK when you get it, check the shutter count etc. If its fine, keep it, if its not, return it. Most likely you will get a good, new camera. But if not... just be patient, try and follow normal protocol for returns if you have to send it back, and keep everything documented. Most resellers will try to keep you happy to avoid losing their ability to sell in the Amazon marketplace, but if they don't, open a ticket with Amazon and they will likely take care of you. So, you can relax. You will likely get a fine camera, and at worst you will have to deal with a little bit of hassle. At this point, I try and Avoid Amazon resellers, in fact I try and avoid Amazon for photo equipment and try and give B&H my business, even if its slightly more expensive.

I have no experience or knowledge of 6ave, so I can't help there.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  4. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    GFFPhoto, thanks for your advice!

The thing gets slightly more complicated - I'm on a business trip and the the camera is shipped to my hotel room.
    Even if I do have time to check this, I won't have time for the hassle of shipping it back and I don't live in the US... I was hoping maybe Amazon can force a cancellation since nothing was shipped yet.

But it already states that cancellation is not guaranteed. Well - I'll hope for the best.

Maybe I'll be lucky :)

5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Ok... at worst you will have a lot of hassle, but Amazon will try and make good. They want to protect their brand.

6. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Hi.

Sunset Electronics cancelled my order, no questions asked. That's good.

I've decided to buy from an eBay seller who seems to be OK - I'll update with my experience after I get the camera.

7. compute42

compute42 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2014
    I'm biting the bullet and going to samys camera here in LA next week to get another GX7. My sunset electronics one was the "japan only" model.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    I ordered a GX7 from 6Ave because of eBay Bucks promotion. I know the camera would be grey market for sure, but the saving was worth the risk. The only bad part was that It took them 10 days to ship out my order.

9. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    My eBay gx7 arrived and I only had time to try it today.
    Checking the vital statistics it has zero flash count, 40 shutter count, was powered on twice, the clock was not set prior to my use. Seems OK.
    It's black, was sold body only but the box was for the 20mm combo (probably sold separately). I was horrified to see the camera came bubble wrapped with no body cap on (it was in the box) but the sensor seems perfect.
    All in all an excellent buy for 600 dollars. Shot my kid's birthday and it's a very good camera. Only bad part (I knew about this one) is the pointy metal spikes for the strap . Really dig into your hand even after removing the triangles. But not as bad as it was with the omd em5. I kind of hold the camera in a way it doesn't bother me anymore. But it's a real design flaw.

Sent from my W200 using Mu-43 mobile app

10. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    I forgot to mention it's the american (NTSC) version which is too bad for me as I live in PAL territory... Does anyone know of a way to convert it to PAL so I don't get flickering with artificial lighting (via a hack?) ?

I know there's a flicker decrease function that helps, but sometimes I forget to switch it off when outdoors and get overexposed videos...

Thanks!

11. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm waiting on my GX7 from 6ave.. should be here on thursday.. paid $618 with fedex express shipping… I asked prior to buying if it is a US or Other model… and they stated it would be a US model… Hope that is true…

12. sLindbergh

sLindbergh Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    LI, New York
    S. Lindbergh
    More than likely it is a "North American" model from Panasonic Canada. I got my GX7 from 6ave and this was the case. Everything seems right with it, except the 2nd manual is in French [which means nothing more than it is a Canadian model and has no US warranty].

• Like Like x 1
  13. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Mine came from bigvalueinc. , is NTSC and has French and English on the box so I guess it also originates from Canada.
    Apart from being gray market which as a non USA resident I couldn't care less about the only thing that bothered me was the sensor not being covered. But as it turns out the camera is fine and for such a low price was worth it. The guys bigvalueinc were very helpful, answered my messages and shipped the camera in a very speedy and efficient manner. 6ave haven't answered my questions (2 weeks have passed). That's the main reason I didn't buy from them. The price was the same for both sellers - roughly 600$.

• Like Like x 1
  14. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just got my gx7.. charging the battery now.. I got it from 6ave.. They did say it was a US model, but i have both English & French manuals.. so i guess its grey market.. NTSC.. so I hope it all goes well! but for the cost… worth the chance..

• Like Like x 1
  15. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Was yours also originally a kit with the 20mm lens like mine (the 20mm obviously sold separately)? Just take a look at the box.

16. sLindbergh

sLindbergh Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    LI, New York
    S. Lindbergh
    Mine came in pristine condition, sensor cap intact. The only thing I wondered as I was opening the box was, had they sent me the correct color [black] as the image on the box was of the silver and black version. Is that common?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

17. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Mine was advertised as black and that's how it came (besides the body cap not connected it came in pristine condition). Obviously someone careless or with very little understanding of what he's dealing with was responsible for removing the lens and not fitting the body cap...

18. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah it was originally a kit with the 20mm..