1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX7 Focus tracking

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Frankgr, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Frankgr

Frankgr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2014
    When one sets the focus mode to auto tracking does it work on one or both axis? Subjects coming toward and retreating from camera position. As well as horizontal / left right movement ?
    If I were photographing children playing and they are going back & forth, also side to side, zig zagging about. Does it lock onto them in all directions?
    Or if I were photographing from a moving car, and if I pointed ahead through the windscreen that would be one 'axis', or out the side passenger window the world would pass by on the other axis.
    Question make sense? Attached image of p.150 pdf manual Screen shot 2016-02-28 at 8.01.46 AM.

2. PJ McKenna

PJ McKenna Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 23, 2015
    PJ McKenna
    If your camera is anything like my G7 then tracking should work in all three planes of movement including depth. How well it tracks in depth is determined at least in part by the qualities of the lens - wide-open aperture and focus speed.
    In other news AF doesn't work too well out a car side window as the background moving horizontally can seem to the camera to be vague horizontal lines and so confuse the AF algorithm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk