GX7 Focus Issues

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DigitalD, Feb 11, 2015.

1. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    So Ive had the GX7 since xmas and I do love this little camera but I find that I miss more shots with Auto-Focus then other cameras I have used. I have done all sorts of fiddling with the AF features and also doing research online, I can't find anything definitive. I admit at the moment I am comparing its ability to the EM1 which is not fair, but thought I would post here to see if anyone has seen the same issue with their GX7 or any insight on this. I have done focus adjustments on cameras that had phase detect but the GX7 is contrast detect so, I don't think there is any way to adjust that. It isn't lens specific either and it does it even when there is a lot of light. If I was to guess I would say that 1 out of 7 shots are out of focus when I think they would be easily in focus. Do I have a real issue or am have I just been spoiled with systems with better AF? Its just been bugging me so thought I would ask the good people here :)

2. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I too got the GX7 around X'mas, I don't feel the AF system focus ability any less than EM5, but sometimes EM5 is better focus on dark colors in low light and EM10 has more accurate focus peaking than GX7.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    No issue for me either with my GX7. It's no worse than any Oly cameras I've used.

4. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Have you brought these into Lightroom or Aperture and looked at the focus point of the errant photos? I occasionally get a misfocus, and this is indicated by a focus point behind a face or on a persons clothing. Also, I am assuming you are using pinpoint focusing, so this may be a greater issue if you are sure of your focus target but the output is not what you'd expect.

5. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I've found the same thing with my GX7. Compared to my previous E-M5/E-P5 and the E-PM2 that I still own, I find the GX7 slower and less accurate, especially with face detect mode which I use a lot with my kids. I don't think it is bad, but I can really notice the improvements that Panasonic has made on autofocus speed and accuracy when shooting with my LX100.

6. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Thanks all. I'm going to do more controlled tests this weekend and see if it's me or the camera. I'll report back.

7. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    Which mode do you use? AFS, AFF, AFC? Contrast detection AF is not great for moving subjects. And which lens? Some lenses are quicker than others.
    I never noticed any real difference between the OM-D E-M5 and the GX7. Most reviews say that the GX7 is a bit quicker and more efficient in low light, IIRC.
    Maybe you got a defective GX7 ?!

8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Panasonic face detection is notably worse than Oly's implementation.

9. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    I haven't had any problems with speed or accuracy. I do use single point almost exclusively, and never face detect.

Dave

10. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Well over the weekend I did some more shooting with the GX7. The worst shots, focus-wise came from the Nocticron 42.5mm. However I dont have any focus issues with the E-M1 and the Noc. Strange.

The second lens I tested was the Oly 17mm 1.8. Was much more accurate and less misses.

Still a little bewildered on this.

I also do not use face-detect. I mainly shoot in AF-S with the medium sized focus point. I changed to the smallest focus point now and it seems slightly better.

Im hoping its just me at this point.. lol