1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX7 Flashing Sections During Playback

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by arf1410, Mar 15, 2014.

1. arf1410

arf1410 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 25, 2014
    Just got my GX7 a few weeks ago, and am still trying to learn...do to weather and time, most of my testing has been in my house. When I take a picture, and view it sections tend to be flashing - typically a TV screen or light bulb. Today, I noticed that the sky in the background is also flashing when viewing a picture. What is that telling me?

2. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    These are "highlight blinkies," which show parts of the image blown out above 255 per color channel. There's a setting in your playback menu to disable this feature if it bothers you.

~Joe

3. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    That's good to know. I bought a G5 and my daughter was complaining about this. I'm assuming it is the same.

4. arf1410

arf1410 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 25, 2014
    Appreciate the feedback - but not sure I understand the comment " "highlight blinkies," which show parts of the image blown out above 255 per color channel." ????

5. JoeV

JoeV Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Joe Van Cleave
    When parts of the image are as bright as they can possibly be rendered by a digital sensor - termed "blown out" by the tech congnisenti - no further detail is visible in those areas. Some photographers get upset about large parts of their images lacking detail in the highlight regions, and so manufacturers have responded by offering visual assistants to show what parts of the image are blown out, giving you an opportunity to adjust exposure and retake the image while you're still on-location.

For others, it's less of a big deal having parts of the image blown out to total white with no detail.

~Joe

6. arf1410

arf1410 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 25, 2014
    ah ha ...that explains quite well the flashing lights in the ceiling when taking y indoor, no flash test shots, and today, in the dense pacific northwest woods, when the camera has adjusted to my shots of the mossy trees, they area of the visible white cloudy sky "blinking" during playback.