GX7 Flashing Problem

yoper

New to Mu-43
Hi to all,

I recently bought a Panasonic GX7 with 14-42mm lens, and a Panasonic 25mm 1.4.
Yesterday I noticed that when coming from a dark scene to a brigh scene or vice versa, the LCD flashes as if the camera was taking a picture (not the same but similar).
Note that since I tried the 25mm, I've never took it out, so I will test if this happens also with the 14-42mm.

I've searched and found nothing regarding this. I've read many reviews of the camera before buying and no one mentioned this "problem" before.

I wonder if this is a "normal behaviour" or if I should return the camera. And it happens almost of the times I cycle between dark scenes to bright scenes.

Thank you!

yoper

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Are you sure you are not accidentally covering the eyepiece while moving around, which turns off the LCD? That's the only thing I can think of that might be causing the behavior to a new GX7 user, and takes a little getting use to. Some folks prefer to turn down the sensitivity to prevent the switch from happening as much.

When I first got my GX7 I had all manner of weird-to-me behaviors due from accidental button pressings and unfamiliarity with the system and had to reset my camera a few times. Now I've gotten used to holding the camera and know the innards enough to fix my still occasional trip-ups. Anyway, hope this helps a bit.

jamesgehrt

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
James Gehrt
I have seen something similar in very bright sunny situation. I was shooting my daughter's soccer game with a telephoto manual focus zoom. Very contrasty scene. It has only happened maybe twice in the past 2 months. A very quick flash of the evf, much faster than the sensor switch. I chalked it up to swinging the camera up to the bright sky. The pixels needed a split second to adjust. A flash of bright light only a fraction of a second and then adjust back to the scene. It hasn't been a problem for me so I didn't worry about it. I'll keep an eye on it (pun intended) and see if it happens more often. Thanks for the reminder.

yoper

New to Mu-43
Are you sure you are not accidentally covering the eyepiece while moving around, which turns off the LCD? That's the only thing I can think of that might be causing the behavior to a new GX7 user, and takes a little getting use to. Some folks prefer to turn down the sensitivity to prevent the switch from happening as much.

When I first got my GX7 I had all manner of weird-to-me behaviors due from accidental button pressings and unfamiliarity with the system and had to reset my camera a few times. Now I've gotten used to holding the camera and know the innards enough to fix my still occasional trip-ups. Anyway, hope this helps a bit.

Thanks ex machina, is different from that king of changing between LCD and EVF. Actually I deactivated the sensor, and use the fn button to change between.

I have seen something similar in very bright sunny situation. I was shooting my daughter's soccer game with a telephoto manual focus zoom. Very contrasty scene. It has only happened maybe twice in the past 2 months. A very quick flash of the evf, much faster than the sensor switch. I chalked it up to swinging the camera up to the bright sky. The pixels needed a split second to adjust. A flash of bright light only a fraction of a second and then adjust back to the scene. It hasn't been a problem for me so I didn't worry about it. I'll keep an eye on it (pun intended) and see if it happens more often. Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks jamesgehrt, this was between very bright sunny sky and a dark shaddow, and is a blazing fast flash on the LCD, didn't try it on EVF will try today to see if it also happens. But I will do more tests today to check this.

orfeo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
You say you desactivated the auto switch between evf and lcd, but it just looks like you are covering the evf sensor. If you can't redo the symptom, that's it.

jamesgehrt

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
James Gehrt
The flash that I saw had nothing to do with the evf sensor. It happen while looking through the evf. Also it doesn't sound like it is going dark as in the evf sensor. This is a bright flash of light seeming like there is a fraction of a second lag to adjust from a dark situation to a bright one. Mine was from a dark grass scene to the bright sky, maybe even direct sunlight. It felt like the viewfinder remained on a good exposure for the ground. This is literally a fraction of a second flash and then normal. I have not seen it in other situations. I really don't think it has to do with the evf sensor. It only happened 2 times for me. I'll do some testing... In my situation thought it had something to do with using an old nikon zoom. I actually forgot about it until Yoper brought it up.

Latest threads

Top Bottom