GX7 Flash Issues

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Repp, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I'm having problems with my GX7 using an external flash (both the FL-360L and Cactus V5 Triggers). First, camera is not in silent mode. Both camera and flash recognize that something is attached to the hotshoe, but will not trigger anything. The flash symbol keeps showing as red. I can use the popup fine, and even use it to trigger the FL-360L remotely.

Also attempted a reset of user options from the menu setting. Nothing changed except for all of my custom settings... which I had to go change again.

Any thoughts?
    File_000.

2. Shadetree

Shadetree Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Butch
    I looked at the LCD on my GX7 and the symbols look exactly like yours. Was thinking maybe you had the electronic shutter activated but the pop-up flash won't work with the electronic or silent shutter. Don't have an external flash so I can't say about it.

3. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Well, spent an hour chatting with a panasonic rep, then took it into the not so local (4 hour round trip) camera store. They tested the camera a flash, apparently at least one of the connection plates in the hotshoe had gone bad. A year past warranty, estimated $180+ to repair... So, I have a new GX8. Yay unexpected new camera day!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  4. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Have you checked that the camera isn't in burst mode? It happened to me.

5. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Yep, single shot, not silent mode. Even did a full reset to default. Flash checked good on other cameras. Other flashes in the store did not work on mine. Flash would fire only if off-camera in RC mode triggered by popup flash.

6. kissel

kissel Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Kostya
    Hi, I had exactly the same issue with my gx7. Took it to the official service center (it was still under warranty), and they replaced something (supposedly, a flash controller board). a problem was gone ever since.