GX7 First Look!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by gsciorio, Aug 6, 2013.

1. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Hey everyone. I'm finishing up a in depth review on the GX7 for Small Camera Big Picture but in the meantime I wanted to make a quick post for MU43.

First of all..its AWESOME.

Now that we got that out of the way let me dig in for a few.:smile:

Body wise its a good size - About as wide as the GH3, shorter and thinner. The grip is very nice. It's a nice grippy rubber and texture. I have big hands and found it easy to hold but not as easy as my GH3. That's to be expected since the GH3 is a larger camera with larger grip.

The LVF is the best I used. It's gigantic! The color and sharpness is awesome. I can't see pixels. I would say the closest I've seen to the LVF in a camera is the EVF on the Sony A99.

LCD wise it's also a nice improvement over the GH3 which already has a nice screen to begin with. The LCD on the GX7 seems sharper, more contrasty and more responsive. I'm not surprised as the GX7 is newer so it should have newer tech.

All the nobs, dials, hinges for LVF/LCD are tight and will move but take a bit of effort. I like this - it tells me the body will wear well over time.
    Speaking of which the silver body is beautiful. Much better in person than I've seen online. Ill do my best to reproduce the beauty of the camera for my full review on SCBP.

There are some surprises with the camera that I'll also address in the review.

Overall this is a killer camera - fast, responsive, great handling and beautiful.

There is not mic port and this is not weather sealed but neither is my G5 and I used it in light rain before. The GX7 does have a mic onboard which I'm sure will work fine. I don't imagine this would be a camera someone would want to put a mic on.

The GX7 is a street camera to the bone. It's designed for shooting fast, capturing both still + motion with ease. I'm looking forward to rocking out some motion street portraits along side my still work.

Before I got into commercial work I was a street & fine art photographer. The GX7 is rekindling my love for street shooting again. That alone, for me, is a big plus and I look forward to using and abusing the GX7..once I get a final. The version I got is a hand made prototype but I'l have a final Sunday, Aug 11th.

Starting Aug 14th I'll be hitting the road touring the US with the GX7. I will post full details on SCBP later this week if anyone wants to meet up and try it out.

FYI I'll do my best to answer any questions on this thread but please understand that I just moved into a new place and have my photography business to run so if I don't respond fast don't take it personally. I'll do my best to follow up at least once a week. I will not be able to answer private messages at this time. Thanks for understanding. :thumbup:

If you follow me on G+ you'll see more pics from this series and I'll have another, higher quality gallery with a bunch of lenses mounted on the GX7 posted there later today.

Happy to be back on Mu43

2. jpark1982

jpark1982 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2013
    Fantastic! I look forward to seeing what you have to write but by all means it looks like a great camera.
  3. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Thanks for the heads-up.

I guess the big unknown for the GX7 is the 'sensor quality'. Are we looking at a ...

...in terms of overall quality. Presumably it is unfair to judge based on a pre-production model.

I see you also have the new 20/1.7 there. I think the general view is that there is no improvement in focusing speed over the old model. Is that broadly correct.
  4. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Any thoughts on the in-body IS?
  5. hoyarnold

hoyarnold Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2013
    everybody is focused on the gx7, how bout the new 20mm panasonic lens? how does it perform against it's older sibling? thanks!
  6. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

How does it compare to the GF5 size and grip wise? Also, how is the menu system against the GF5?
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    What you're really saying to us is "yuk, yuk, yuk, I have one"...:biggrin:
  8. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Yes indeed. How many stops can it give you, and is it better than lens IS? How handy is it while shooting, e.g. when trying to focus looking through the viewfinder? Thanks for the taking the time to share / brag.
  9. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    I'm jealous that you're using one. A couple of questions of you don't mind:

1. How much of the silver parts are plastic? I'd hate to get a gouge and then see black plastic underneath. Wish the black body was being offerred!

2. How good is the grip against something like an FL-50R flash on top?

3. How well do you see the full EVF screen with glasses on? People are (pre-emptively) complaining about the eye point. I have glasses, so I'm curious about this issue in particular.

10. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    hahaha :biggrin:
  11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Panasonic, in its press release, already said it's less effective than OIS.
  12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
  13. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Quote - Happy to be back on Mu43-

Very Happy To Have You Back
    Thanks For The Report
  14. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I'm not sure we can really take them at their word though, they may not want to make their OIS enabled lenses seem obsolete.
  15. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X2, its not as small as I hoped. I was ready to run out and get one to replace the G3, but that urge was calmed when seeing the size
  16. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    How's the flash, it looks a bit flimsy, and does it tilt back for bounce?
    How's the wifi control from a smartphone?
    How is the IQ at base ISO? I ask b/c the gx1 was actually worse at base ISO than the GF1 it replaced.
  17. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Thanks for the Infos G

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app
  18. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    It focuses a bit faster but that can be the GX7's AF which is quite snappy. My 20mm MKI is out on loan so I can't test.
  19. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    WiFI seems to be the same as the GH3 but I have not tested every feature yet.

IQ is the best I've used in any M43 and I'm looking to test a final GX7 against a XPro 1.
  20. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Well Camerasize goes by specs and what I did was based on the actual units but I did not do it accurately. Like I said though the GX7 is about as wide as the GH3. Exactly how they compare in size I really don't know. The GX7 feels smaller than the GH3 but it's quite easy to hold. Not slippery at all.