GX7 Firmware wish list

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mronen, Dec 31, 2013.

1. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    I've been spoiled by the EM-5 - the shutter half-press freezes the image in the view-finder (activates the stabilizer) and it's fantastic for long lenses.

This is the only fault I could find so far, comparing the GX7 with the EM-5. I wish they will add it in a future FW update.

2. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    in-body IBIS in video

more manual settings in panorama mode

auto ISO in Manual mode.
  3. leuallen

leuallen Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2010
    Mackinaw, Il
    I was shocked when flash exposure compensation disappeared when switched from Aperture to Manual. I want FEC in manual.

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    You're not likely to see these as a FW upgrade. None of Oly's 2-way IBIS camera provided these features, either. The general belief is that keeping this type of IBIS on too long generated enough heat to impact IQ.
  5. leftnose

leftnose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    The ability to have different "displays" for the LCD and EVF. In the EVF, all I want us shutter speed, Aperture, and exposure compensation. I want more than that when I'm chimping on the LCD but I don't want to have to cycle through the different DISP modes when I'm switching from one to the other.
  6. HarryBinNNC

HarryBinNNC New to Mu-43

Clarification, please

I am not sure what you are describing there. My GX7 works like my other cameras with IS - I can clearly see the stabilization locking in as soon as focus is acquired. I haven't tried it with anything longer than the 14-140 yet. I am so shaky these days, I doubt that any stabilization could compensate for me with a really long lens!
  7. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    The only other camera with stabilization I had is the Olympus E-5. If I remember correctly, it was possible to see the effect in Live View, of course not in the optical viewfinder.

On the EM-5, (depending on the settings) stabilization goes into action when you half-press the shutter button and you see the image freeze in the viewfinder. I find the effect quite dramatic with a 150mm lens. With the GX7 stabilization acts only during the actual time the picture is taken, you don't see anything in the view finder.

8. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    As an EM5 owner, and having owned a GX7 for a week, I agree it would be nice if the IBIS worked in the viewfinder and in video mode.

However, the biggest issue I had with the GX7, the only reason it didn't replace the EM5, actually could be easily fixed with firmware. I want the ability for the EVF to stay on when the camera is on! None of this eye-sensor stuff, let the option to turn off the eye-sensor actually turn off the eye sensor! It would also be nice if, like the EM5, you could set it to do all shooting through the EVF, and image review on the back screen. These things done the way the EM5 does makes for a very DSLR like experience and great for quick shooting.