1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 Firmware recommendations

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by NikonD300, Jun 23, 2014.

1. NikonD300

NikonD300 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2011
    I know this will never happen as Panasonic never seems to listen to their customers and doesn't seem to have any avid photographers in their engineering and development department, but these are the changes I would like to see in future GX7 Firmware updates:

1. Option for 2+ or 2- EV bracketing. I don't often do HDR, but when I do it would be nice to just take 3 shots, one at normal, one 2+ and one 2-. Why is this so hard for Panasonic to get!? Right now I have to take 5 images(!), to get 0, +1, +2, -1, and -2. This is crazy. Let ME decide what I need!

2. Eliminate the absurd delay when going to the eye level EVF! Give me a choice to turn off the LCD display and just leave on the eye level EVF. It's crazy that they put in a delay until you raise it up to eye level! Can't tell you how many shots I've lost due to this. I do mostly street stuff and this delay was almost a deal breaker for me.

I love the camera, and especially the electronic shutter. Why can't Panasonic just listen to the needs of their customers!?

Any Firmware updates you'd like to see?

2. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    A quick tip on avoiding the EVF delay. Change your eye sensor sensitivity to high, keep your left thumb near the EVF sensor as you are moving the camera up to your eye, once you are by the eye slide your thumb off and you are ready to go with no delay. I can it even do this quickly with my sensitivity set to low which is how I always have this setting. However adding an on/off EVF setting via a firmware would be nice.

• Like Like x 1
  3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Don't hold your breath

They do listen to customers, but it has not been their practice to add functionality through firmware updates. So don't hold your breath --- but there are hints that they might start doing it in the near future, according to a recent interview of Panasonic technical executives by Dave Etchells.

My wish list would be for
    • auto ISO in Manual mode
    • ability to name each Custom mode, briefly displayed on screen. I keep forgetting what I set each one up for.
    • remember whether touchscreen-shutter is turned on
    • a second assignable function for each button with a quick double-press. I need more buttons! :rolleyes:

I don't have any issue with the viewfinder switching speed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Yes I too find that works. Another option is, after taking shots and taking my eye from the EVF and it promptly goes off, to double-click the LVF button. This turns on the EVF and it stays on for as long as you like -- or at least as long as you have set for the camera to go to sleep. Now the camera EVF is instantly ready to go.

• Like Like x 1
  5. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Yes, autoISO in manual. Plus, live blown highlights/shadows display or zebras. I really can't think of anything else I miss!

6. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

That's an interesting observation

Really? Why would you conclude that?
    GH4 has many features that GH3 users were asking for. Adding functions (to an existing model) is very likely a time consuming process that would require a total reevaluation of the camera. Perhaps it's simply a decision where to allocate the available resources? Things take time to happen ... just like a sign I saw in a restroom... "One minute can be a long time depending on what side of the restroom door you are on" !

• Like Like x 1
  7. NikonD300

NikonD300 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2011
    Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of Panasonic, owning a GF1, GX1, GH2, GX7 and many, many Panasonic lenses. But excusing Panasonic for obvious omissions ("very likely a time consuming process that would require a total reevaluation of the camera"), is how we got here in the first place. What I'm asking for should have been in the camera from Day 1. I dare say anyone out there who participates in this forum would have made them part of the camera too, which leads me to conclude that real photographers were not part of the camera planning crew.

So now that I own the camera, Panasonic can forget about me?

8. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I shoot HDR, so the +/- 2 option would be nice. However, I have more friends that hate HDR, and would not have any use for this option. What's important to one person, may not be for another. Today, big business runs on "ROI". The consumer electronics business is too competitive, and their profit margins have shrunken to all time lows. If the return on the financial investment for any project is low, it's a good chance it won't happen. Can you blame them? I think it comes down to deciding what you can do to satisfy the most people for any given project. If they added your suggestions we'd have a dozen other people complaining about some other feature that was more important to them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NikonD300

NikonD300 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2011
    re: I think it comes down to deciding what you can do to satisfy the most people for any given project.

My Nikon and Canon equipment, which I sold to pay for my Panasonic equipment, all had the +/- 2 option. Like I said, I don't shoot HDR often, but it's nice to have the option to do it efficiently. This would be a very small, tiny thing to have added. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a company to listen to it's customers. Have you ever received a survey request from them? I know I haven't.

10. lcsolla

lcsolla New to Mu-43

Jun 3, 2014
    T N Args: "ability to name each Custom mode, briefly displayed on screen. I keep forgetting what I set each one up for".

Could not agree more. Remembering what we have in our custom modes is really hard when (a) you are over fifty, (b) you have not touched your camera for the last four weeks or more, (3) you have several cameras, each of them with its custom modes. Yes, I am talking about me.
    And, on the subject of age, it would be so nice to have an option for big and bold letters on menus, so that we did not have to keep putting on and taking out our reading glasses all the time. Why is it that electronics companies always presume that we have 20-30 years? Most consumers are older than fourty nowadays.

11. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I suppose you could do all your menu browsing on the EVF, without your reading glasses. :biggrin:

But yes, agree, I have to use varifocal eyeglasses with my camera for maximum ease. Otherwise I can't use the back screen for anything critical, e.g. checking focus points.

12. krixoff

krixoff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2013
    Perpinya
    I hope they improve focus peaking in flat profile in videos modes.

And hope news videos mode like 720p120 :D