GX7 Field Reports

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
Now we have product 1 made by company A and it's well established to be *much* better than product 2.

Except that this particular assertion is not supported by the facts, and it's specifically why you were called out for demonstrating bias, and deservedly so.

LovinTheEP2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
For me, the way pana put the Evf is on the gx7 with it protruding out the back end and its moveable feature Akers it a no buy for me. I it was more like the Fuji x100 then yeah it would be a really tidy rf m43 solution but as is, I feel ep5 is a neater presentation with the addon Evf.

gsciorio

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm sure no one. But since your a pano luminary perhaps you could provide your opinion on the GX7 IBIS vs a pano OIS lens as to which provides better stability.

Optical will always provide superior IS because it is optimized for each individual lens. That said the IBIS of the GX7 works well enough for me.

Faceinthecrowd

Mu-43 Regular
Optical will always provide superior IS because it is optimized for each individual lens. That said the IBIS of the GX7 works well enough for me.

Thanks. That what some of us suspected.

Hopefully panasonic will be able to firmware upgrade to also support video

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I am not biased about anything - I actually would love the GX7 to have 5 axis stabilization built-in. If it did it would be my choice above all other mirrorless models (EM1 included) as the GX7 package is very much to my liking.

No, not biased at all. Except that you've assumed 5-axis is dramatically better than the GX7's without any hands on experience. There are two "reviews", one of which says the GX7 IBIS is very good, one says it's poor. Without any other information, you choose to believe the one that says it's poor.

In my book, that's far from objective. Lack of objectivity = bias.

Like it or not, that's what the words mean, and those words pretty effectively define your mindset.

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sorry, but that's not a comparison, it's a statement of belief. IBIS is "optimized" for focal length, too, as the camera reads FL data from the lens and adjust itself. If using a lens that doesn't communicate with the body, you can set FL manually. There are respected photographers who have compared the EM-5 to, as an example, the 12-35, and found the EM-5 to be a little bit better.

Parroting Panasonic's official line does nothing to enhance your credibility. Doing a real comparison, and posting some sample images, would.

gsciorio

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Sorry, but that's not a comparison, it's a statement of belief. IBIS is "optimized" for focal length, too, as the camera reads FL data from the lens and adjust itself. If using a lens that doesn't communicate with the body, you can set FL manually. There are respected photographers who have compared the EM-5 to, as an example, the 12-35, and found the EM-5 to be a little bit better.

Parroting Panasonic's official line does nothing to enhance your credibility. Doing a real comparison, and posting some sample images, would.

My opinion was asked and I gave my opinion. I find spending hours testing something like IS a waste if time. I prefer to shoot, which I do a lot, and when my opinion is asked I'm going to give it. If that does not "enhance" my credibility with you I'm ok with that.

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
There have been a number of tests since the beginning showing the Panasonic mega OIS was superior to Olympus (2 axis) IBIS by a small margin (1 stop or a little less). Power OIS in the 12-35 and 35-100 increased that to two stops, and then 5-axis came out and was slightly better (less than 1 stop) than Power OIS.

While I haven't shot with a GX7, it sounds to me (and would be reasonable to believe) that the IBIS is equivalent to the Oly 2-axis, which many claimed (wrongly IMHO) was The Second Coming, and now its "junk"? I don't think so. It's still better than nothing, and considering the fast apertures in the primes that its intended to be used with, will result in a great low light system.

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I just love all the people who haven't shot with, or even touched, a GX7 but are ready to reach conclusions about it's performance, and discount the opinion of multiple people who have shot with the camera.

Michael Reichman, who nobody can accuse of being a ****** for any brand, says the GX7 IBIS is very close in performance to the EM-5's 5-way. But apparently his actual hands on testing is less valid than your "reasonable to believe" assumptions.

No wonder some people believe man coexisted with the dinosaurs. Evidence means nothing compared to preconceived beliefs.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
My opinion was asked and I gave my opinion. I find spending hours testing something like IS a waste if time. I prefer to shoot, which I do a lot, and when my opinion is asked I'm going to give it. If that does not "enhance" my credibility with you I'm ok with that.

Giulio,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you had a GX7 with you when you were speaking in Seattle. Would it be reasonable to assume that you have spent some time shooting with it?

--Ken

gsciorio

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Giulio,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you had a GX7 with you when you were speaking in Seattle. Would it be reasonable to assume that you have spent some time shooting with it?

--Ken

Hey Ken,

Yup still have it actually. Shot thousands of frames with it, a bit over 5K, and hours of video too.

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green

You were asked to review the camera, to give OTHER potential users information to make a purchase decision. And you find giving other users the information that they are seeking to be a waste of time? Unbelievable.

Al.

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alan
I don't know what all the fuss is about, panasonic are not claiming there 2 axis is better then the olympus 5 axis, just some testers saying its nearly as good, but 2 axis is better then nothing and whose to say that there 2 axis is not equal or better then the olympus 2 axis.
Panasonic are not new to IBS as they have 5 axis in some of there video cameras and tz40 compact.
Plus how can you do a comparative test as the results are subjective, how can you replicate camera shake? the only comparason could only be done under laboratry conditions

caimi

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Caimi caimiphotography.com
"No wonder some people believe man coexisted with the dinosaurs. Evidence means nothing compared to preconceived beliefs. "

Latest threads

Top Bottom