GX7 Field Reports

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by PanamaMan, Sep 12, 2013.

1. PanamaMan

PanamaMan Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 4, 2013
    • Like Like x 7
  2. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Weird...

If it's true, it's not a such a big deal.

3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Yikes, no auto ISO in M mode. Hopefully fixable with firmware upgrade.

4. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Same as with the GX1. I personally do not mind it - M gets used for flash or long exposures, never felt the need for auto iso.

• Like Like x 2
  5. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk

personally, for me, that sucks... just as well i buy an oly pen everytime... :tongue:

6. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Agree, there is just no reason for it. Its not like some amazingly complex formula is required to make it happen.

7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I agree. Fortunately for me, I don't care about auto-ISO in manual mode - since Panasonic doesn't offer it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I prefer M mode when I actually want to ignore the meter for studio, fireworks, startrails and assorted night photography so I'm glad autoISO is disabled. Otherwise I'd probably forget and end up with a bunch of images at ISO 12800!

I think the mode should stay fully manual and a new metered mode with user selected aperture/shutter but exposure controlled via ISO should appear on the mode dial. Call it AM or IP or whatever and keep everybody happy without menu surfing to disable/enable options.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    that's why I don't understand the "autoISO" requirements for manual mode. you're right, there should be another setting for that, as you called it "AM", meaning Almost Manual :biggrin:

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    To me, manual means manual. It means I want to control all aspects of the exposure myself. But to be honest, I'm not sure I remember the last time I used fully manual, other than just testing equipment.

With the controls on Panasonic's GH cameras, at least, it's easier and faster to use A or S mode, combined with exposure compensation, to get exactly what I want. Heck, even P mode with program shift and EC gives you nearly as much control as manual exposure.

I also don't see the issue with IBIS not working with OIS equipped lenses, even if you turn lens IS off. Who cares? It's not like the IBIS would give you some capability that OIS doesn't (It's not 5-way, remember.) But the comment on IBIS performance should satisfy a few worry-worts, although I'm sure there will be those who will trumpet "Oly's IBIS is better, nyah, nyah, nyah!"

I'll have to read the full review when I get home. I like MR's reviews more than most, because he (a) focuses on how well the camera handles and works, rather than specs, and (b) evaluates image quality based on real world photographs, not test charts and computer software.

• Like Like x 2
  11. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    http://www.sulantoblog.fi/panasonic-gx7-kokeilussa-osa-2/

A few translations from Matti Sulanto's blog:

GX7 has better and more reliable focus in low light than O-MD.

Panasonic IBIS was disappointment, nearly non-existent, OM-D IBIS is light years ahead. IS in Pana kit zoom works well instead.

Battery life poor.

Best Panasonic MFT so far. Good, but not revolutionary.

12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I wonder if Sulanto was testing IBIS with Panasonic lenses......

MR certainly got different results.

13. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

If you go by MR's results, it seems like a very competent implementation for a first generation product.

14. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    The test was done with M.Zuiko 45 mm f/1.8.

Other than that he was quite happy with it.

15. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    My quick take from this:

1) jury still out on IBIS. If it's even CLOSE to the IBIS on the OMD then that's incredible news, and will have me very interested in a (used) GX7.

2) Auto-ISO in M-mode, no big deal. I used to be a big proponent of this, but then I realized that with the flat ISO noise curve of the Sony sensors it doesn't matter. I just shoot RAW in M mode at ISO 400 (where the curve flattens out) and "brighten" things up in post. (The flat noise curve means that whether you brighten things up in PP via software or in-camera by jacking up the ISO, the results look about the same.) So, assuming the Panny sensor has the same flat curve, no Auto-ISO in M mode doesn't really matter.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Auto ISO in M is useful for street work, particularly with quickly changing lighting conditions. Set the aperture of a 14mm lens at f8, shutter to 1/250 or 1/500, and let the auto ISO adjust itself to provide the desired exposure.

Pentax/Ricoh has an "almost" manual mode called TAv in the PASM dial.

I believe camera makers should leave it up to the user to choose whether or not to use a feature. If someone doesn't like the option of auto ISO in M, don't use it. No harm, no foul.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Regarding auto-iso in M-mode, I was referring to this diagram:

http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Charts/PDR_Shadow.htm#OM-D E-M5,EOS 5D Mark III

The point is that, for the EM-5, pushing ISO past 400 offers no real gains in noise/detail vs. underexposing and lifting the brightness in post. So instead of using Auto-ISO in M-mode you can just fix ISO = 400, aperture = whatever, and speed = whatever and 'correct' for underexposed images in PP. The only disadvantage of this approach would be when the image is so bright that the camera wants to select an ISO less than 400, but in my experience Auto-ISO in M-mode is almost always used when the light is dim as a way for the camera to choose whatever high ISO will make the exposure 'right'.

18. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Strange. On our road trip Rob Knight and I would often shoot from about 8AM till 2am the next day on two batteries. As far as IBIS goes I get acceptable shots down to about 1 second which works for me.

I guess I'm pretty easy to please growing up shooting film and all the short comings that came with an analog system.

Best bet is to shoot with the GX7. I'm booking more dates for Panasonic sponsored workshops which you can find on http://www.smallcamerabigpicture.com/events/

• Like Like x 2
  19. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Strange with so many reviews out and folks are still are not sure about the IBIS...what review will give an official analyst? I wonder...

20. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    If Panasonic thinks the IBIS of GX7 is "nearly as good as Mega OIS" then I think it's STRANGE when that "down to 1 second" IBIS goes off when Mega OIS lens is attached. I know MY Mega OIS lenses are next to nothing for stabilizing anything.

So down to 1 second? Handheld or tripod? Would you define "acceptable" again? :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1