GX7 Fail

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by MadProphet, Oct 17, 2013.

1. MadProphet

MadProphet Mu-43 Regular

I've read about this several places, wondering if others are having or have had this issue.

Powered up my 1 week old GX7 today, had a heavy vibration, which was new and then the message "Please turn your camera off then back on". I did. Several times. No joy. Greeted with the same message each time. Tried charging the battery full up (it was at 70% or so). No joy. Tried taking lens off. Taking out card and swapping it.

Basically, nothing worked. OneCall was decent enough to expedite my return, getting me a shipping label and creating a new order in just minutes - but I have to wait for my camera to get there before they will ship the replacement. I have a big event next weekend. I am worried.

So anyone else have this issue? I see the 1.1 firmware specifically addresses power on stability, but I couldn't update. Anyone have the issue WITH the new firmware?
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Serious bummer. Sorry to hear about this. Yours is the first post I've seen mention this problem. I recall seeing one that said their GX7 was DOA, but not this.
  3. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Sorry about the camera. OneCall has the best customer service (maybe tied with Crutchfield).
  4. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Sorry to hear about your camera's issue. I upgraded my GX7 to the 1.1 firmware a couple days ago not knowing what Panasonic meant by "improving operation stability when turning the camera on." Now I know.
  5. MadProphet

MadProphet Mu-43 Regular

OneCall has freakin amazed me today. I rarely say that.

6. MadProphet

MadProphet Mu-43 Regular

The problem is well documented and Panasonic has as much as acknowledged it with the explanation for the 1.1 firmware update fixes a startup power issue. One Call and Patrick went the extra mile to ensure I have the replacement before my event next weekend.
    It'll also be the first time I've shot m43 since the week I had my GF1 and kit zoom. Since I've sold most of my Nikon stuff, it will also be the first time it's been my only system. Total change from a D7100 and 24-120/4VR to the GX7, even with a 35-100 stuck on front.
  7. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    My GX7 Made a loud buzz when powered on after nearly two months of use. I upgraded to firmware ver. 1.1 and that seemed to take care of the problem. I also upgraded my other four bodies and five of my lenses.