1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX7 face recognition focus

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Frankgr, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Frankgr

Frankgr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2014
    with my GX7 (and fast primes) I often set the focus mode to face recognition; although I have not registered particular faces. In theory I find this a faster way to focus for when there are kids playing about. But I get way too many misses / out-of-focus results so I have to quit that mode unless someone can tell me what I'm missing or doing wrong? Of course I realise there are other factors such as subject movement and shutter speed. Is it a camera weakness or user error. Thanks

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Face recognition is looking for a 4 point pattern consisting of two eyes, a nose and the mouth. It operates on the basis of if the eyes are sharp, the image will look better. It's definitely not a "speed" feature, and often will take a moment to lock in on any camera I've used. If moving targets are you subject it may not be the best choice.

3. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    HiFrankgr
    I am no expert but Face recognition is unfortunately in my experience not a fool proof feature - it is in the nature of the system to be a little hit and miss
    The camera is only a piece of equipment and has no where near the capability of a human brain to interpret what it 'sees'
    My Olympus camera doesn't always react to a face presented and often goes into face recognition (displays the White boxes) when there are no faces in the scene - a strange anomaly - it is merely an aide
    Its unlikely that you are doing anything wrong
    It will work also work better when you are closer than when further away
    Regards
    Rob

4. Frankgr

Frankgr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2014
    I hear that the Fuji can even detect the eyes (Rt or Lft eye) to focus on

5. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    The Olympus cameras (OMD and PEN) can do that too !
    Rob

6. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    I don't have much confidence shooting kids with GX7's face AF. But I almost always use GX8's face AF and C-AF for kids.

Edit:
    What are the lenses you tried face AF with your GX7?

7. Frankgr

Frankgr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2014
    Usually, with the panasonic 20mm (vII) and the 42.5mm lenses.

So the GX8 face recognition is more reliable ? And then I expect the GX85 will be too

8. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Yes, GX8 face recognition and overall AF is more reliable. Thanks to Panasonic's DFD.
    And I'm expecting the GX85 will be the same.

Edit:
    Oh I won't bother trying the P20mm/f1.7 to photo moving kids.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  9. Frankgr

Frankgr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2014
    It's a brilliant lens. Love it.
    Which lens in that length (or v close) would be better ?