GX7 EVF question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by _Matthias_, Jan 4, 2014.

1. _Matthias_

_Matthias_ Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 4, 2014
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Matthias
    Hi, I was reading here for some time but now that I have a GX7 I have a question about the EVF.

I'm nearsighted (-1dpt) and I have trouble getting the image in the EVF sharp. If the correction is totally on the right it's almost sharp but not completely, with glasses on it's only sharp if the correction is less than 1mm from the rightmost position. Is this normal? The specs give a much higher dpt value that can be corrected.

I also get kind of a halo around the displayed numbers/settings that moves around when I move my eye a little. Looks like there's a reflecting layer short distance below. Do you have the same?

I'm suspecting (hoping, actually, since I like the camera otherwise) there's a problem with my EVF. Do you think so, too? I tried to contact Panasonic support but they seem to be rather slow responding ...

2. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Actually mine is the same, I usually leave my glasses on but I still thought the adjustment seemed wierd. It definitely has far more adjustment in one direction.

3. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Does the GX7 have more + than – diopter adjustment? Do either of you have any experience with the LVF2?

Personally I need + adjustment (far sighted now, don't see close/small well), but it appears the LVF2 on my GX1 has lots of adjustment for both + and – needs. Can anyone else comment on this?

I prefer to use my naked eye with a camera diopter adjusted for my eyesight instead of glasses, yet I wear glasses most of the time now due to middle-age.

4. _Matthias_

_Matthias_ Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 4, 2014
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Matthias
    Mine has definitively more + I would say that more than 90% of the adjustment range is on the + side, I'm just trying to figure out if that's normal or if mine is faulty.
    I have no experience with the LVF2 but I had no problem with an e-p5 and VF4 in the default 0dtp setting, it was just too bulky with the VF on and the camera sensor had faulty pixels from the start, so I returned that ...

Are the others just quite or is everybody having the same? I found somebody describing the same issue in another forum but he never got a reply there.
    So it would be a great help if everybody who is reading this would just give a short reply how far right they are with the adjustments when they put it to 0dpt (because they wear glasses or they don't need them). On mine, 0dpt seems to be at 95% right (about 1mm from the rightmost position) and I think the -1dpt would be at about 110% so I can't get there...

5. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    In addition to +/- diopter correction, there is also astigmatism ('cylinder' correction), the halo may very well be due to it. To correct for astigmatism you need your regular glasses.

I also noticed that the eye position, a few mm to the left /right or up/down, makes a big difference.

Moshe

6. _Matthias_

_Matthias_ Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 4, 2014
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Matthias
    That's what I first thought, too, but it's still there with glasses on. At least I don't get the rainbow effect, only very lightly when I try very hard.

And you are right, shifting the eye makes a difference, that's when I first saw the halo, it's like an unsharp reflection of the displayed item is moving around beneath it.

7. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012

Understood.

I've read several posts that say the VF4 is the best (or one of the best) viewfinders out there and I have no reason to doubt that, I'm sure it is. I have zero experience with modern Olympus m4/3 cameras, but I've looked through enough viewfinders to know that the Panasonic LVF2 is a very good viewfinder under real-world conditions, though possibly not (nearly?) as good as the VF4. Sadly the LVF2 only works on one m4/3 camera, plus it's an expensive 'accessory'.

There is at least one other thread here that I also participated in, with at least a few posts, where members were commenting on and complaining about the GX7 viewfinder. As I remember it, they were saying that while the viewfinder is 'okay' overall, yet it seems a bit narrow (or something similar), maybe with limited eye relief too? From pictures of the GX7 I observed the diopter 'slider' under the viewfinder appeared to have limited throw compared to the massive, circular adjustment of the LVF2. I need a fair amount of + adjustment but it seems I only have to move the large diopter wheel a few detents, there appears to be much more adjustment available.

I'm guessing that due to design limitations Panasonic needed to make a decision to limit the diopter's total range, and possibly chose to offer more + than – adjustment. It would seem that such a decision would/should be based on the number of people that need + instead of – adjustments, but I have know idea if that is the correction more people need? Ninety percent of the GX7 adjustment on the plus side seems very limiting for those who need minus.

As a GX1 fanatic, I'm interested in the GX7 because it's both the GX1's replacement and I prefer smaller, rangefinder-style bodies. I love and the 90-degree tilting viewfinder as I use this feature regularly with the LVF2. However, the only real draw for me to buy a GX7 is that it would allow the use a hot shoe flash and a viewfinder at the same time. Currently I have a 'spare' G3 I use for this purpose, and it's needed infrequently.

8. frank2

frank2 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Have you tried the accessory large eyecup? I think it necessary on this camera.

9. HarryBinNNC

HarryBinNNC New to Mu-43

GX7 EVF Diopter Correction

=========================================================

My GX7's EVF seems to be working very well indeed. I have pretty severe myopia in my Right Eye, which is my best eye for photography. My distance vision correction is close to -3 diopters. Without glasses, I have a sharp view in the EVF with the slider just shy of full right - I can still move it enough further to blur the image. With glasses, the diopter setting is close to the center of the range, which it should be with good distance vision. That tells me that MY GX7 probably has an approximate range of + or - 3 diopters, unless the +- settings are asymetrical from center. From what you are describing compared to my GX7, I would suspect that your finder has an issue. I also have no vignetting, halos, rainbows or any of the other aberrations that some users have reported. The superb EVF of my GX7 is one of the main factors in this becoming one of my favorite cameras of all time.

Just for comparison, I have 4 other cameras with eyelevel finders that have adjustable diopters that I use regularly: Nikon D800, Coolpix 7100, Lumix GH2, and a Fuji X100. All but the Fuji (wouldn't you just know it?) performed very similarly to the GX7 - clarity was acheived near one end of the range when I wasn't wearing my glasses, then near the middle of the range with glasses on. The Fuji went from one end of the range all the way to the other with/without glasses, which tells me it probablly has very little + correction. I have noticed in reading camera specs in the past that it is fairly common for cameras to have less positive correction than negative, so I guess the Fuji shouldn't be castigated too much for that minor shortcoming.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    My GX7's EVF also seems to be pretty well calibrated. I wear glasses, and when the viewfinder looks in focus to me, the slider is slightly to the right of center. There is still plenty of room to slide it further to the right and make the image quite blurry. Without my glasses, I need to move the slider further to the right, but there is still a little room for further adjustment.

11. _Matthias_

_Matthias_ Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 4, 2014
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Matthias
    Thanks for the last two posts, you seem to confirm what I was suspecting, so I'll try to have it swapped or return it and buy a new one. I think that there are two elements not as close together as they should be and the gap is responsible for both the halo and the missing - range

Apart from the sharpness and the halo, I like the viewfinder, the size is ok and the clarity is great andI like all the feature for manual focusing and that it can display the complete menu and all.
    As I said before all the reviews that complain about the EVF mention only the rainbow effect and problems with glasses, both of which I don't get at all, so I still hope that with a fixed EVF this is the camera I was looking for for quite some time.

12. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    My eye glass prescription has -0.50 diopter for Presbyopia. I am able to see the entire image in the EVF. As I have mentioned in other posts, the GX7 EVF is the only EVF that does not vignette when I am wearing my glasses. I have tried them all in various camera stores. My GH3 presents darkened corners as do all Olympus and Panasonic EVFs except for the GX7. This is probably due to a combination of the EVF magnification and my glasses prescription. This is one of the many reasons I like the GX7.

GX7 EVF Specifications:
    Diopter adjustment -4.0 to +3.0 (dpt)
    Magnification Approx. 1.39x / 0.7x (35 mm camera equivalent) with 50 mm lens at infinity; -1.0 m-1
    Eye point Approx. 17.5 mm from eyepiece lens
    FOV Approx. 100%

13. _Matthias_

_Matthias_ Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 4, 2014
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Matthias
    Ok, so here's an update: In Germany we have the law that you can return stuff you buy online within 14days and you get your money back, you can try the purchase but not heavily use it. So after Panasonic support told me they won't replace it and that I should go through their repair process, I decided that I don't want that and within the timeframe Ireturned the camera to the online shop that in this case was the Panasonic shop directly. Today I get it back from a support center telling me everything ist working, no problem found. So they totally ignored that I wanted to return it and not have it repaired, even though sent it to their return address and not to their service address and even though I added a letter telling them, I return it because I don't want to go through support and I think there's a problem with the diopter adjustments in this camera. And they confirmed that returning it is the right strategy since they obviously don't include checking the diopter adjustment in their checks and they don't read the problem description, since the problem is still there. But what makes me really angry at them is that they just ignored the law that they have to take it back and sent it to me unchanged. So now I have to make them take it back anyway and I know for sure that it was the last time I bought from them directly. If I didn't like the GX7 so much, I would really consider scratching Panasonic from my vendor list...

• Like Like x 2
  14. _Matthias_

_Matthias_ Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 4, 2014
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Matthias
    Another update: go the issue sirted out, they are going to pick up the camera tomorrow and refund. So after that, I got another GX7 from another online shop (that I used before and that had a nice deal with the lenses I want). Guess what! The EVF was dead on arrival, eye sensor works but nothing whatsoever in the viewfinder, not even light. I'm getting really annoyed now, either I'm really unlucky, quality control doesn't exist anymore or something is trying to tell me to keep old stuff and stay away from mFT. Not sure yet, which of these three options I consider the worst.

15. _Matthias_

_Matthias_ Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 4, 2014
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Matthias
    Final update: got a working GX7 now, the diopter adjustment is still all the way right without glasses but at least it's sharp in that position. I guess that there are other eye problems that add to the -1dpt.
    So I'm happy now and I really love the results that I get from the camera.

• Like Like x 1