GX7-EVF and LCD viewfinder very choppy in low light--is this normal?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by plungerjoke, Feb 14, 2014.

1. plungerjoke

plungerjoke New to Mu-43

Feb 14, 2014
    Recently upgraded from an EPL3 to a GX7--Mostly I love the darn thing, but the frame rate seems to drop precipitously on both the viewfinder and the LCD whenever there is less than ideal light. The EPL3 was smooth regardless of the lighting conditions.

I've been searching both on this forum and on the web for common experiences, but I'm not really finding anything (unless I'm just not using the right search terms).

A couple questions:
    1. Most importantly, is this normal for the GX7? If I have a defective unit, I still am very much in the time period where I can return it if not.
    2. If this is normal, is there a setting that can help make the issue better? I found the "shutter speed preview" option (assigned to function 5), and it seems to be doing something, but I can't really tell what...also when it is engaged the text displays on the screen and is rather intrusive.

2. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Normally the LCD and viewfinder are refreshed at a rate which is produces a good viewfinder image. Refreshing the LCD is done by taking a low resolution image, processing it, and displaying it, over and over in a loop.

So the camera is taking a stream of photos. The question is what electronic/virtual shutter rate should the camera use for these photos? Normally it picks this automatically so that the viewfinder is refreshed as quickly as it can display (I believe this is 1/60 or 1/120 depending on the body), and with a good exposure. The "shutter speed preview" changes the exposure time of these images to match the shutter speed you will use if you click the shutter now. That gives you an idea of how things will (or will not) blur.

Try it in S mode and vary the shutter speed while moving where the camera points and you'll see how it works.

As far as your other questions I have no idea, not owning a GX7.

3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Turn off Constant Preview (in the Custom Menu, page 5).

BTW is is nothing to do with low light, it is solely determined by the chosen shutter speed. Faster than about 1/8 sec and it is not noticeable.

4. plungerjoke

plungerjoke New to Mu-43

Feb 14, 2014
    Weird. It is behaving exactly the same with constant preview off or on. Might as well exchange it.

5. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    It must be pretty much defective if you can have 60frame rate at f16 at night with only a 5W light bulb 5 meters from the frame...

6. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Maybe try a full reset before discussing further. No telling what you have done.

7. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Do you mean EVF/LCD "refresh rate" rather than frame rate? Your description of reads like you're describing poor EVF performance in low light: smeared, gritty and jumpy images. I think some folks call it "tearing." I don't have a GX7 but my GX1 has terrible EVF and LCD performance in low light. The worse I've ever seen. Makes me feel a little seasick. Even my phone and P&S are cleaner in low light. Oddly, my old Olympus E-P3 is somehow a lot better. With the VF-4 EVF it's pretty amazing in low light. I can actually pan with the darn thing. Not as clear as an optical pan but the best I've seen from an EVF.