GX7 Ergonomics and issues....

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Bl0at3r, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Essex, UK
    I've had an OMD (well 2 actually), a G1, a G3 and am on my 3rd GX1 (just don't ask !!).....

I am interested in the GX7 - mainly for the 1/8000 shutter as I like to shoot fast lenses wide open in daylight. The EVF and other bits will be a bonus.

But I am struggling with the ergonomics of the body style and larger zoom lenses - as I do with the GX1.

Primes like the P20 and P14 suit this body style perfectly. IMHO the OMD and G 'slr' style bodies work great with the O12-40, P12-35, P7-14 etc.

How many GX7 (and GX1) owners regularly or exclusively use the bigger zoom lenses and how do you find the ergonomics - does the body/lens combo not become front heavy and difficult to hold steady?

It also detracts somewhat from the 'pocketability' (relative clearly) of the smaller body/pancake lens combo.

Also, has anyone discovered any humdinger issues with the GX7 now that it has been out for a few months and more people seem to have one?

• Like Like x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Hi - I spent an hour in B&H last week looking at both the GX7 and EP5. I bought the EP5, but mainly because I'm an Oly user and I'm used to the menus etc. Regarding using larger lenses on these larger m43 "rangefinder" bodies, this is my view...

- I agree with you that the EM5, GH3 etc are better with the 12-35, 12-40 etc. I never found my EPL5 to carry them well at all.

- The same isn't 100% true of the GX7 and EP5 though - their larger size fits the bigger lenses better, but the lack of a grip still leaves them lacking compared to the more DSLR-style u43 bodies.

Either way, the GX7 is a nice camera. The EVF is a bit tunnel-like IMHO, but it's entirely usable and nice that it's integrated without the retro bump found on the Oly EM5 and EM1.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. deejayvee

deejayvee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    While I prefer the feel of the P12-35 on my GH3, I often have it on the GX7 so that the GH3 can have the P35-100. But I don't find the P12-35 on the GX7 to be uncomfortable at all.
  4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Two thoughts on this:

First, unless you use the additional grip, the EM5 hardly has a grip to speak of, certainly no more than the GX7. If you've owned the M5 and found it ok then I think you'll be fine.

Second: I've never really understood the 'front heavy' argument. Unless you're shooting your large lenses one-handed, your left hand will be supporting the weight of the lens anyway, so what's the issue?
  5. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    I think the NEX-6 has a better grip than the GX7; it's not a huge difference, but I'd feel pretty comfortable one-handing the NEX and not quite so with the GX7. I've found a leather half-case makes the GX7 just that bit more comfortable for the right hand. A thumb rest makes it more comfortable, and because the GX7 is thicker I actually think it's more comfortable to hold two-handed than the NEX-6.
  6. Jimwest

Jimwest New to Mu-43

Jan 20, 2014
    I upgraded from a GX1 to the EPL-5 and I'm thinking of getting the GX7 as the UK price for the GX7 has dropped very quickly.

Last week I went to an electronics store to play around with the GX7. It feels nicer in the hand, like the GX1 it has a solid bulky metal feeling which is reassuring. Personally , I prefer the Gx1 to the EPL-5 , the EPl-5 body has left me quite underwhelmed, the EPL-5 although metal feels a bit more "toy like" and is harder to hold, I'm also not keep on the menu system and to me the tillable screen isn't great.

The main gripe I have from playing with the Gx7 is how far the EVF protrudes out of the camera. Now, the Gx7 is already bigger than the GX1. The EVF actually makes it almost twice as wide at its maximum. One of the reasons I liked m43 is because I liked to carry my camera in my pockets (separate the body/lens and carry them in different pockets or in the same pocket with the small 20,mm 1.7 or PZ 14-42.) The EVF on the GX7 makes the body way too wide to fit into a pocket now, it would go into a large coat now with the EVF but that's not ideal.

The GX7 reminds me a lot of the NEX 7. I've noticed on the images of the NEX7 the EVF does not protrude as far if you remove the rubber eye pad/rest. Is the same thing possible on the Gx7?
  7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    That's what I was going to write. I spent last night and this morning in the floating markets of Cai Be in Vietnam, using the Panasonic 100-300 OIS lens on my GX7, in complete comfort and with no handling issues whatsoever. Of course, I carry the weight of the lens in my left hand. I am used to doing this from my years of DSLR ownership. It makes no sense to me to wish for a very large handgrip on a rangefinder-format CSC so you can carry the weight of a large lens plus body in the right hand only (does the idea come from people used to P&S cameras?). Handle with two hands.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Compared to which EVF camera?
  9. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Why don't you add a GX7 to your vast collection of camera bodies to find out? :tongue:

Sorry, couldn't help it...

but seriously, if the lack of grip is a concern, why not get an E-M1 instead (I assume you're referring to the E-M5 when you mentioned you've 2 OMDs). It has the 1/8000s shutter speed that you are looking for, and ergonomics that I haven't heard anyone complaining about...
  10. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    The only problem I have with the GX7 is that I am left handed so my nose hits the screen and moves the focal point all over the place. Ergonomics on the Panny G H and G series differ because the camera is rounder and the screen swings out. "Balance" is a non- issue since when the lens is big you hold it with the lens. I never use an auxiliary grip except a sawed off tripod shaft that works with all cameras and costs practically nothing. EM5 and EM-1 are compact, heavy and angular. Ergonomics are different as the grip on the EM-1 is bigger but the shooting button is way out to the side,so your hand has to twist to the right to fire it. You just have to get used to each camera. They won't changes so they are perfect for each individual.
  11. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    GX7 feels better in my hand than EM5 because of the bigger grip. Granted the largest lens I tried it with are 12-35 and 75, but overall the bigger grip really makes a difference.

the protruding eyepiece is my only complaint so far, I love that there's no hump like the omd so it's a better fit into bags, etc, but that added depth presents a new challenge. and no, you can't take off the rubber like nex6/7.
  12. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    There should be an option somewhere to turn that off (i.e. setting the focus point using the touchscreen).
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Lensman

Lensman New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2012
    St. Marys Ontario
    Get yourself the eyecup for the viewfinder. Then your nose won't touch the screen. I have one and I'm left handed as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    I use the GX7 with some relatively heavy Nikkor SLR and Voigtländer RF lenses without balance issue. I find the ergonomics of the GX7 to be excellent. They are not quite as good as those of the GH3 by a hair, but the lighter weight of the GX7 more than makes up the difference. I am right eyed and don't have the issue with my nose and the LCD that some left eyed shooters have mentioned. I have seen posts from lefties that recommend slightly tilting the EVF up a few degrees will eliminate the problem of nose to LCD contact. The GX7 is the best handling digital camera I have ever used, IMHO.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Drdave944

Feb 2, 2012
  16. Drdave944

Feb 2, 2012
    Yes, you can turn it off but you also turn off stuff that you want such as screen adjustments. You are supposed to be able to separate this but I haven't figured it out.
  17. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    That's odd. I don't have a GX7, but I've been able to turn off just the touch-to-set-focus-point option on other Panasonic cameras.
    On my GH3 it's the 'Touch AF' option under 'Touch Settings' towards the end of the Custom menu.
  18. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Got a GX-7 this past December; already had an E-M5 with grip and batter pack before then, precisely to use with longer lenses like the 75-300 Mk II or my longer legacy OM lenses. The GX-7 is perfect for use with the smaller primes as you've noted, but my favorite lenses to mount on it are my legacy Pen-F lenses----the GX-7 body is pretty much the size of the original film Pen-F, hence the great match. I love the ergonomics of the GX-7 more than the E-M5 without the grip, but I have never considered using it with the bigger m43 zooms for the reasons you riased. Re: OPs second question, no issues come to mind.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    The GX1 has been my preferred digital tool since I converted to m4/3 about 13 months ago. I own and use several of them, mostly with the LVF2, which I find to be very functional and comfortable to use. My lens collection is quite extensive and includes the 100-300, 35-100, two Voigtlander f/0.95 lenses, etc.

While I love my GX1s and don't see replacing them soon (likely for the GX7 some day), one of the complaints I have is that sometimes they are a bit too small. I like a small body, and digging out my other cameras and lenses recently reinforced how small it is; smaller than my Leica M6 TTL, smaller than a Contax G2 rangefinder. The little grip on the front seems 'enough', but there have been numerous times when my right thumb has unintentionally hit buttons on the rear or atop the body. I’m able to avoid the rear buttons most of the time, and can now find and press most of them by feel when I want with my eye to the viewfinder. The top buttons (video & iA) often get hit when I'm looking down into the LVF2 and the top of the body is the natural place for my right thumb to clamp the body.

Recently I believe I've found a place for my big right thumb (size 11.5 mitts) on the rear top edge of the body. If/when I can train myself that this is home for my right thumb, I should have less issues with unintentional button pressing and resulting changes.

The above, along with some past inadvertent LCD pressing and changing my focus point (I typically have the touch screen off), are things I have learned to live with or am still sorting. These complaints aside, I still find the GX1 (and I assume the GX7 would only be better) to be a fantastic tool for my purposes, and continue to be impressed with the ridiculous value this camera offers for little money.

Larger lenses don't seem to be a problem. In fact, I think bigger lenses actually help me handle a smaller camera like the GX1 better (presumably the GX7 too). The larger lens actually allows me to cradle, carry, and control the camera mostly with my left hand, letting my right hand carry less of the weight and concentrate on the finer controls.

• Like Like x 2
  20. ymiclassroom

ymiclassroom Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 19, 2013
    Darien, CT
    Thought you might like to know that there is now a grip for the EP5 on ebay...I've been searching high and low and came across this a month ago---ordered it and it feels GREAT and fits like a glove....a bit pricey but well worth the investment...http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UN-Hand...ens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item4ace2af9bc

Attached Files: