Gx7, Em-10 or E-m1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by a_hit_of_meth, Aug 13, 2015.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    It's not as straightforward as it seems. With my budget I can either get a parallel or grey import new GX-7 since there are no more official ones available locally. About 140usd more for either a new E-m10 with 14-42 lens or about the same price for a used E-m1.

I like the Gx-7, recently sold my E-m5 but there are lots of drawbacks in getting a grey import. First, being an older model there is a chance this is a returned or display unit, local stores that deal with parallel goods aren't exactly known for being up front about this sort of thing. Also, there is no exchange (even though they claim a 7 day return and 1 year warranty with the shop), so I would have to cover the cost of any failure on the camera. Add to that the fact that there is an extra 50usd for checking a parallel body over the normal cost as well as around 30-40% more for parts. Not saying something will go wrong but if it does, I'm down at least a few hundred.

Coming from an E-m5 I'm not too enthusiastic about the ergonomics of the 10 but it will do. The E-M1 is also quite nice but it costs more than my original budget for the GX7 and it's really a lot larger than what I would prefer.

I guess what I'm really asking is should I pull the trigger on a parallel GX7 or not?

2. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    E-M1 used, flagship PRO body with perfect ergonomy !!

3. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    It's not straightforward at all! Have you held a GX7 in your hands yet? I originally leaned towards the E-M5 until I got my hands on it and disliked the ergonomics. For me the later-model E-M10 felt better, but I had already pulled the trigger on the GX7 by the time the E-M10 was released.

Guess what I'm saying is if you haven't yet held a GX7 in your hands, you might want to do so first as it may make the worries about parallel/grey-market issues moot if it doesn't feel good to you.

I always try to buy refurbished to save money and have a warranty, not sure if that's an option for you but FWIW.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The E-M1 is a better camera In most ways than either the GX7 or the E-M10. Given the choice I'd go for a used one one vs the other two.

5. EricRose

EricRose Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    The upper 12
    Eric Rose
    Buy the one that fits best in your hand(s) and has that special vibe. You will make better photos with that camera irrespective of specs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    I went into the store prepared to the the GX7. Didn't like the viewfinder, but that's me. E-M1 seems like the way to go, of your choices.

7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Why are you not too enthusiastic about the E-M10? I've never owned the E-M5, but have owned both the E-M1 and E-M10. Without knowing what it was about the E-M5 that bothered you it's hard to say if the both the E-M1 and E-M10 will or won't have the same issues.

8. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    GX7 feels better in hand. I like it. But what makes me withdraw from buying it is that they can't raw and jpg edit in camera.

Also i missed the 5 axis that Olympus has.

EM10 is a good camera. It can do HDR, wifi connection and has new processor. It's little beast actually.

EM1 surely the best and the grip also feels right as the GX7 but then can u accept the size?

9. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    Thanks guys, I have held a GX7 and I like it better than the E-m5 or 10 both in ergonomics and build. I had a few issues with my Em5 and I'm aware of the QC issues with the 10 which I'm not willing to deal with in a new body.

I was actually looking to get a GX7 last year when I found the E-m5 on clearance for a very good price. It was a good camera but I decided to sell it off before it's resale value dropped any more. I didn't like the ergonomics but quickly got used to it, had three different shutters, replaced the top plate and had the cracked LCD which I didn't bother changing. At the end, I was just relieved to have been rid of it not knowing what would go wrong next. For a top of the line model (when it was released), marketed as a rugged and robust body with weather sealing and all that, it really felt quite delicate to me.

I like the idea of owning an E-m1 but it's actually quite the opposite of what I'm looking for both in pricepoint and usability since I'm leaning towards something more compact.

I've owned the PL3 for several months, PL2 for a few months, got to handle an EP3 and GX1 for a couple of months as well but the camera I keep getting back to is my GF3. My trusty old GF3, which I would happily keep using but I need a main body with IBIS, a tilt screen and a level which is why I'm looking one of these.

I'm also open to a fixed lens compact with level and a tilt screen.

• Like Like x 1
  10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Given the things you're looking for and that you enjoy your GF3 it makes sense to just pick a GX7 and move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Well, I faced a similar dilemma last year and I went with a used E-M1. What tilted the scale for me is that I had a couple of very good 4/3 lenses, including a 14-54 (version 1) and the 11-22, and these lenses work quite nicely on the E-M1, but don't focus decently at all on the E-M10 or GX7. I also was never able to get my hands on a GX7, so I couldn't evaluate it's ergonomics and performance - in particular the IBIS and it's EVF, which have both gotten mixed reviews from people, with some reviewers complaining about tearing and a small view image, and others saying it was fine. I really was unwilling to take the chance on it, sight-unseen. Which is not to say it wouldn't have been just fine - just that I could never make that evaluation prior to purchase.

The downside of the E-M1 is that it's rather bulky compared to both the E-M10 and the GX7 but I also own an E-PL5, so if I really need something smaller and lighter, that body can do the job for me when I need to go small.

12. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    I've handled both, while the E-m1 is better in my hand, it's heavier and bulkier as you pointed out which just makes it difficult for me. These larger bodies also seem to attract more attention when going around streets and markets like a DSLR does.

Yup, I guess that's really where I was headed anyway. I just need more input from you guys on the risks of parallel goods that I've outlined in my original post. That's really the only thing holding me back from going ahead with this since costs can add up should something go wrong.

13. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I've purchased a couple of direct imports over the last year, though mainly glass. But the places I have used deal in new or are clear about demo / open box status.

14. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    I have no problem with used or grey imports when it comes to glass, prices are generally lower for parts and there are various 3rd party repair places for them which do better jobs at fixing and cleaning them anyway.

Bodies are a different thing with so many different parts and the potential for failure. I guess it's no different than if I were buying a second hand unit when it comes to the uncertainty of these things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mannukiddo

mannukiddo Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 28, 2013
    India
    Never tried an EM-10, but when I was comparing the GX-7 and the EM-5, ergonomics, manual focus peaking and full compatibility with my favorite m43 lens i.e. the 7-14 F4.0 tilted it towards the GX-7. Yes IBIS and JPEGs on a EM-5 are probably better but now after extensive use I have found that the GX-7 has decent enough IBIS and since I hardly shoot JPEGs, I am very happy with my GX-7 decision. As for the EM-1, I did not want to pay extra for compatibility with legacy 4/3 lenses that I am never likely to own.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  16. undergrd

undergrd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Singapore
    I had the GX7 and sold it off due to the EVF. Got a EM1 after that and I am totally happy with what it can do.