GX7, e-p5, or GX1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ajk995, Nov 11, 2013.

1. ajk995

ajk995 New to Mu-43

Nov 8, 2013
    I am going to have a vacation early next month in Europe (France, Germany, and Italy).
    I already have a Canon 6D and a T1i, a 24-105/f4, a 17-85(on T1i), a Sigma 35/1.4, a 70-200/f4 with out IS, a 100/2.8 micro
    I do have a panasonic 20/1.7 and 45-200/4-5.6. (used to have a GF3)
    I am going to buy a m43 body, either the GX7($800 used or $900 new from amazon), or ep5 ($725 new without evf from Japan, ), or maybe a used GX1 for cheap (<$170 on ebay)

I am still strugling which one to go, as my budget is a little bit tight. Also Panasonic bodies, seems to me, depreciate fast. I have not had Olympus before, any compatiable issue with my panasonic lenses? Will GX1 do the work if I most time keep the 20/1.7 on it?
    I plan to take 6D/24-105, 20/1.7 for my trip, maybe the 45-200 as well.

2. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Have you considered getting a refurb or used olympis e-m5 it's a great camera and going cheap theses days you can easily find one someone is selling to find their em1 for around 550 and you could use the extra to get some more lenses. You might also consider a gh3 if you want a body with great vid capability.

Lastly if you can try and go find an e-m1 to try, you might find you like it better then all the other options even though it's a bit expensive.
  3. ajk995

ajk995 New to Mu-43

Nov 8, 2013
    Thanks a lot. I will look into your suggestions.
    I forgot to mention that I have Leica 35mm/f2 lens, prefer bodies with focus peaking. That's my most concern for the GX1 option and the e-m5.
  4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I started out looking at the GX7 and E-P5, but ended up getting an E-PL5. I couldn't justify paying an extra $4-500 bucks just for focus peaking.
  5. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

If your budget is tight and you're interested in the E-P5, let me echo someone else's commments - the E-PL5 is a great (and extremely high quality) alternative.

The body is significantly smaller than both the GX7 and the E-P5 --- and the cost is definitely higher than the GX-1 - but almost everything about the camera (from IQ to dynamic range to speed to....well, everything) is insansely stellar.

Additionally, the small size makes it a very cool travel camera.

6. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    You'll probably spend time in dark churches, bistros and historical sites where tripods are prohibited. So even with a fast prime you'd greatly appreciate IBIS so you won't need to crank ISO into a noisy mess. I have both an E-P3 and GX1. While the GX1 has a little better rez I find myself reaching for the E-P3 for most of the time. Having another stop or two of hand holdable shutter speed is a big deal (I seem to like Oly color a little more). Plus both the E-P3 and E-PL3 have a better LCD and EVF (if you buy one) than the GX1. So I second the E-PL5: 16MP sensor with IBIS and really light and petite, making an able complement to the 6D. However, that 6D is pretty much the ultimate low light camera...
  7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'd say cheaper body and faster lens the majority of the time, but since you have the excellent 20mm you have my permission to go for a more expensive body :p

You're right that Panasonic bodies depreciate in price quickly, however the GX1 is proof that they can hit on a winner sometimes. The GX7 is likely to come down in price further soonish, so I'd take that into account. If you can live with the idea of buying something now for slightly higher price and watching the price fall afterward, then it's a good choice. Personally, if it's meeting my needs, I say who cares what it's doing on the market.
  8. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Three thoughts: first, if you like to shoot manual focus lenses and you're traveling, you do want focus peaking. That's basically the only thing I think you'd lack with the GX1 (my first love, and a great little camera!), but you'd almost certainly run in to trouble without peaking OR a viewfinder.

Second, the 45-200 is an underrated lens and covers an excellent range of focal lengths for traveling and sightseeing. It can go wide enough for quick street shots at 45, and can get you a lot closer to some of the beautiful architecture and people you may encounter.

Third, and finally, they're All good cameras. The GX7 feels like a more serious GX1, but it still does feel LIKE the GX1—they're both excellent cameras, both react really well, both are super portable for travel, and one is just newer and has stabilization and peaking for use with adapted lenses. I haven't used an E-P5, but it's supposed to be easily the match of the GX7 image wise.

Get wherever you think will make you take the most photos :)
  9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

How will the m4/3 kit be used in relation to the 6D? The m4/3 bodies you're looking at are fairly high end ones, and will only lag behind the 6D in CAF, high ISO, and DoF control. If you're just taking the 24-105 f/4, that's not a particularly fast lens so the ISO and DoF points are bit moot. IMO the two kits should complement each other, rather than overlap...

Also, note that the P20 f/1.7 exhibits banding issues at high ISO on the E-P5, E-PL5, E-PM2, E-M5, E-M1, GH3.
  10. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I've never heard that the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 has any issues with the GH3.
  11. YZYgold

YZYgold Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2013
    the gx1 has terrible auto wb (in low light), but is a great deal for it's price. I own a gx1 and ep5.

Panasonic lenses tend to have some purple fringing on olympus bodys in some shots, and can be seen w/o pixel peeping

I personally like the feel of my gx1 more, tho the ep5 is a better camera, and also much newer
  12. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

DMC-GH3 Owner's Manual for Advanced Features, pp 288:

13. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    As an upgrader from E-PL5 to E-P5 I can vouch for any of the cameras.

E-PL5 very light, great for travel.

E-P5 100gr heavier (but at around 400gr I cannot consider it heavy), better IBIS and focus peaking (if using legacy glass FP is a must, I also thought I didn't need it before I used it :))
  14. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    I have never had any banding issues at high ISO with the 20/1.7 on my GH3.

15. Everhandy

Everhandy Guest

I had the E-PL5, wonderful camera but, I would have preferred the E-P5 (twice the price but, twice as nice).

I also owned the GX-1 and now regret selling. I sold it to finance the E-PL5 deal and now that's gone too.

My vote would be for the GX-1 even though the GX7 and EM5 are presumably more capable (matter of opinion). Here's why:

1. Lowest cost, highest value. In addition, depreciation has stabilized on that one.
    2. Built like a true camera. Very pleasant to shoot with. Rock solid build quality.
    3. The GX-1 with a pancake prime is a nice neat small travel package par excellence.
    4. For the money, you cannot beat the IQ for the GX-1. The DXoMark score is complete rubbish in my opinion. Here's a shot I took with the Panny 14-45 3.5-5.6, you can count the bricks in that building from across the street:

Plus, look how fine this camera looks with real glass on it:

To be honest though, if I had more pocket change these days, I would have to go with the GX-7. Looks like the camera that can do it all at a reasonable price. (and it looks fantastic!).

Have fun choosing. I'm envious.