GX7 Diopter Adjustment

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Levster, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

The diopter adjustment on my GX7 EVF seems to have a lot more adjustment in one direction than the other. I find that the adjustment that I need to make to get the EVF sharp isn't possible with the limited adjustment available. Is there a way to fix the diopter adjustment so it offers the same adjustment level in the + and - directions?
  2. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
  3. Levster

I did read that thread a while back but it didn't offer up any solutions. I bought my camera 2nd hand so I can't return it, and from what I've heard it does seem to be a common issue. With my glasses on the adjustment seems fine but with contacts on it looks a bit off.
  4. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    The adjustment is what it is. I shoot with my glasses on and am able to adjust it OK. I can adjust it to use with out my glasses but then I am unable to see the cameras controls or LCD clearly.
  5. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    Seems odd that it works with your glasses on but not with your contacts. Both must have pretty much the same correction. The only thing I can think is that your eye is further from the EVF with glasses on than with contacts. Perhaps the optional eyecup (Panasonic DMW-EC1) would keep your eye a bit further from the EVF when you are wearing contacts, and maybe that would help. This is just a guess as I don't wear contacts. You can get the eyecup at B&H, among other places. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/998484-REG/panasonic_dmw_ec1_eyecup.html
  6. Levster

I'm short sighted so the contacts and glasses correct for objects far away. It might be that my contacts aren't able to resolve objects at a close distance, I have found it uncomfortable trying to read with my contacts in. Looks like laser eye surgery may be the only answer!
  7. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Sounds like your contacts and glasses are slightly different prescriptions. I had a similar problem but the other way round.

I could read easier with my contacts in than I could with my glasses (I don't really need either for reading).

I queried this with my optician and after a lot of discussion his comment was they (the optician) can "chose" to bias glasses/contacts for near/ far performance.

Because I said I used my glasses mainly for driving and contacts mainly for indoor sports they were specified to be slightly different.