1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 - concern about tripod mount

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ricoh, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I recently purchased a used GX7, principally for use with the P7-14 lens, but apart from that I'm liking the user interface, the feel of the camera - as some have said elsewhere - it fits perfectly in the hand and has a number of features I like such so the auto/manual dedicated switch.

Apart from all the good bits, I have some concern when attaching my tripod. It seems to me that the bottom LCD bezel is either flush or slightly over-flush with the base plate, such that the tripod head will stress the bezel (and screen) when torquing up. Ok, manufacturing tolerances and all that, I would have expected the bezel to be under flush, even on adverse tolerances.

2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Tilt it up a touch

3. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I had no problems with my first tripod, but my newer, sturdier one requires me to be a bit more careful with how I seat the quick release plate; usually sliding it towards the front of the camera a bit before tightening down leaves just enough clearance for the LCD to travel without problem.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    It is a tight squeeze to move the LCD when attached to a tripod.

5. trakmasterrs

trakmasterrs Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 18, 2014
    this...usually the quick release plate will have some room to allow you to slide the plate a little forward before torquing the allen bolt so it doesn't interfere with the LCD.

6. ccrider

ccrider Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 15, 2014
    Idaho
    Curtis
    I was able to file the back edge of the quick release plate on my Manfrotto. This lets the LCD flip up with out catching.

7. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    +1 to both tips. As said above, with smaller release plates you can just mount it slightly forward. I actually haven't taken my plate off since initially mounting it, but it's on the smaller side:

image-2784272724.

If your tripod uses a larger plate, do try tilting the LCD a up just a bit before mounting it. You won't be able to close it fully with the plate mounted, but the plate shouldn't provide too much pressure and you'll have full use of the screen's articulation on the tripod.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Thanks to all for the replies.
    I suspected I wasn't alone in this, i.e. have a rogue model. The monfrotto quick release plate I'm using is quite large, so I'll have to tilt the screen unless I go for option B, that being a Gariz half case, which will offer protection to boot.

9. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Yep, easily dealt with. Mine is definitely under flush BTW.

10. trakmasterrs

trakmasterrs Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 18, 2014
    if the screen is barely scraping, then have you thought about making a spacer? Cut up some aluminum sheets to the size of the tripod mount.

11. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    That's a good suggestion.

12. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    The Kirk PZ-130 camera plate is a perfect fit for the GX-7. Mount the plate with the anti-rotation flange snug against the front of the body. There is absolutely no interference with the LCD.

Kirk PZ-130

Mike

13. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    This.

Ricoh, if you're not used to doing this type of thing here is the way I would attack it: Clamp the plate to a small block of wood either in a vise (best) or with Vise-Grip type locking pliers. Locate the wood so that the edge of the wood is a depth guide -- depth being the distance back from the edge of the plate that you need to cut. Now carefully use a file to cut the plate down for the clearance you need. It probably wont' be much. The more carefully you are able to work, keeping the file parallel to the plate and sliding against the wood, the better the result will look. But, hey, even if it's ugly it will not show in your photos! :)

Another option: If you don't mind paying a few bucks for round-trip postage I'd be happy to make the cut on my milling machine. I have a couple of GX7s so it will be easy for me to get the cut right. PM me if interested.

trakmasterrs, sorry to say I think shimming is A Bad Idea. It's hard enough to keep these plates from pivoting on the lock screw without introducing one more place that it can slip. Filing or milling the plate is so easy that there's just no reason to use a micky-mouse solution.

14. ccrider

ccrider Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 15, 2014
    Idaho
    Curtis
    Here's few pics.
    1st I trimmed the rubber base. That didn't quite do it, so then I filed the back edge of the base. Now the screen can open n close without hanging up. I'm sure some bases may vary, so your mileage may vary....
    When it's on the camera, with the screen closed you don't even see it. I put function before form here.

[​IMG]

PC050020-M.

PC050017-M.

Hope this helps

Milling machine would be kinda snarky

hmm, guess I could have centered the wind chime better, that thirds thingy

15. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    That's a very nice of you oldracer - what a great forum this is!
    I'm actually thinking of getting a Gariz half case, which should sort the problem.
    Cheers.

16. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Like many have said, move your mounting plate forward away from the screen as much as possible. It's a common problem with these cameras and other similar ones. Some of the tripod adapters are much better than others, maybe you need to find another.... Also, don't be afraid to modify (cut, grind, etc.) the shoe. I did that with one of my tripods and it worked out pretty well.

17. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Been following this. With my Manfrotto quick release plate there is no play to adjust, and it does foul slightly. I might file it back, looks less than 1 mm needed. On the other hand, I don't do a lot of tripod work so I don't think I will be leaving the plate permanently on the body, so just easing the screen out a little before fixing the plate seems to work fine, too.

Dave

• Like Like x 1