1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 Comparometer Test Shots up at Imaging Resource

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by TBK, Aug 28, 2013.

1. TBK

TBK Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
    Imaging Resource:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Jpeg only so I'm not jumping to any conclusions yet...

Haven't pulled it up on a large monitor yet, but from what I've seen and in comparing to DPreview's controlled environment shots with the GX7 and EP5... to my eyes the GX7 images on Imaging Resource seem softer compared to Dpreview's. I'm somewhat questioning the point of manual focus on some of the Image Resource images.

Hoping others with a better monitor currently in front of them might weigh in...

Cheers

2. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Looks pretty good! Now all I need is for Lightroom and/or DXO to add it to their RAW converter and we can see what that looks like. Can't wait for mine to ship!

3. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Great IQ, too bad the GX7 only have 2 axis image stabilized and unstabilized when shooting video.

4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Nooo... thats a good thing! Smaller crowds at the camera store on release day :thumbup:

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Not everyone cares about video, and all of my lenses that really need stabilization have OIS. I can already hand hold my 7-14 down to about 1/15th (at 14mm), and that's already too slow if your subject is moving at all. Even if Panasonic's IBIS only give me 1 stop, I doubt I'll ever really have a need to shoot slower than 1/8th second hand-held.

I won't say IBIS has no value with wide angle lenses, but it is certainly far less important. As for video, I could just as easily say "Oly's IBIS is great, but it can't turn Oly's poor video capability into something better."

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Not always about "need" Bob!

OMD, 12mm, 8/10 of a second, handheld...
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/8289828028/" title="Rush Hour... by ramboorider1, on Flickr"> 8289828028_022b3e17be_b. "1024" height="819" alt="Rush Hour..."></a>

-Ray

7. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    this is like from the future! Great syfy shot!

8. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    GX7

IS doesn't help me. My old man's shaking hands, are just too much for IS to cure. My camera is almost always on 2 second timer, and most of the time tripod mounted. Doesn't work for most people's style of photography, including mine a few years ago. Was always envious of the great Outdoor Photographer's needle sharp photos. Could never come close with my old OM and other 35mm equipment. But, now , with more patience (translation Tripod), I am getting better quality than ever before.
    So, the GX-7's IS is of no concern to me. I just want it. But don't need it, and won't be buying it any time soon. As if any one cares. :smile:

9. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Perfect! Now, based on lighting conditions, I know which camera to select when shooting silver buttons! :wink:

lol

10. TBK

TBK Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
    I finally pulled the images up on my larger/more accurate monitor. There's definitely a difference. Exif data indicates manual focus and it truly appears the focus points vary. To excerpt a bit from what I commented on Imaging Resource:

The manual focus point on the GX7 in the comparometer does not appear correct, or at a minimum, is not in line with that of the E-P5. Look at the mannequin/green jacket shots. Look at the watch and forearm sleeve on the right arm of GX7 vs. the E-P5. The GX7 is visably sharper. Now look at the silver jacket buttons on her chest, and you will see the E-P5 is now sharper. Look in the top right corner where the green plant is. A little less than a third ways down, there is a lighter colored, large leaf pointing towards the camera and protruding into the foreground (which appears to be on a similar focal plane as the watch). That leaf is noticeably sharper on the GX7. So, it seems to go back and forth depending on what part of the image you are looking at, which in turn indicates different focus points.

Again, these are jpeg images and for me more weight will be given to raw comparisons. But still, how do you have an accurate comparison (be it jpeg or raw) when the focus points appear to vary to such a degree?

11. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    I think if you have to blow the images up that much to see any differences, the real answer is that either camera will produce results that are near indistinguishable at normal sizes.

12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    ...which is true of an awful lot of cameras these days! :biggrin:

13. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    A German site (www.chip.de) has a test of the GX7, with quantified, numeric test results. I don't know if the numbers are derived from RAW or JPG (looks like JPG). They do state what lens was used for testing. Translated:GX7, EP5 & D7100 (for reference)

14. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Comparing the images at base ISO of the regular IR images which contains the color yarns. The colors of the GX7 images , in the yellow yarns, is a little different compared to the E-P5's. The E-P5 was recently tested by IR and it's color accuracy was above average. I'm hoping the GX7's jpg color accuracy is better than past Panasonic models.

15. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Hope it does not take forever for lightroom to have the GX7 raw decoder. As it is, dxo is is just adding EP5 profiles next month....so I believe it will take them quite a while!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Mu-43 mobile app

16. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    Just looked at that, picked the house photo and noticed a clear difference...I picked the ISO200 sample, clicked on each so they are by side...Wow huge difference...Then I did click again for full 1:1 version....Super big difference, the panny is very soft imo lots of mushy detail...Not good at all...

17. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Panasonic color ACCURACY has always been excellent, technically better than Oly.

Olympus intentionally boosts yellows because their research shows that delivers a more emotional impact to the viewer

18. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Once again, folks, comparing OOC jpegs tells you nothing without knowing what the sharpening and NR settings are, and how they compare across cameras.

And while I certainly agree with ~tc~ that Oly colors are over-saturated and anything but "natural" I can't agree that Panasonic colors have "always" been accurate. The GH2 tends badly toward magenta, and the G2 isn't much better. The G3 is better than the GH2, the G5 better still, and I have no real complaints about the GH3.

I do think that Panny jpegs are easier to manipulate in post, though, because colors that are highly saturated in nature tend to blow out more easily on Olys, at least based on the OM-D I used to own.

19. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Well I'm not an expert but If I had to guess I bet the guys are IR might know a little more than you on this subject.

20. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    So you are insinuating that the people from Imaging Resource go through all this trouble, but it means nothing? Really meyerweb? You know what I'm in a generous mood today, possibly like with the panasonic evf being the very best in the business, when challenged the goal posts seem to shift a little...I guess you actually mean something else here as well, correct?

I mean a lot of people have been waiting for reviews, slating others when they have been critical that theirs isn't a review...So here are some examples under controlled conditions, results aren't brilliant (in my opinion of course) and yet again instead of accepting it, the test methods are being challenged.