1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX7 - Bracketing and Flash Questions

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by GnedTheGnome, May 18, 2015.

1. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

I have a few questions about the gx7 that I haven't been able to find answers for yet:

1. How is the AE bracketing implemented? Do you have to dig through a lot of menus to turn it on and off? Can you set bracketing to a function button, without having that button change any other settings? Is bracketing on the quick menu? Can you set 3 brackets with 2 or more stops difference per shot? Can you set up a 2 second timer that will then take the full set of bracketed photos, for a quick, one-touch, shake-free set of pictures? In short, is it implemented any better than on the em5?

2. The flash bracket looks badly placed to me. When you put, for example, a wireless flash controller in the flash bracket, does it interfere with the tilting evf?

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

1: There are 5 physical Fn buttons and 4 LCD Fn Buttons that can be customized to any function. You could assign bracketing to one of those.

2: Yeah, with a flash on it isn't possible or practical to tilt the EVF very far up.

3. GnedTheGnome

But can you just set bracket on/off to the function buttons, or does it have to be a custom setting where it also changes a bunch of other settings, like Olympus's "mysets"?

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Okay I grabbed my GX7 and now I remember that it is even better for you than you probably would imagine. Bracketing is already directly accessible from the drive settings button which is a dedicated hardware button (the "down" on the d-pad). So you just push down on the D-pad on the rear, switch over to bracket setting and hit OK. If you want to customize it you can hit up prior to hitting OK and select anywhere from 3 to 7 shots separated by 1/3, 2/3 or full stops. Once you make a selection that is your default and you don't have to keep picking it each time. So you should just have to hit the down button on the pad, right 2 times and OK when you want to enable bracketing and the same key sequence to cancel it.

And while you can set it to a specific Fn button, the setting is actually the drive mode so it just would replicate that already dedicated button on the D-pad.

You could also set up everything you like for bracketing on one of the 3 Custom dial positions, but that is probably like the Mysets you were talking about.

Hopefully that makes sense. I'm finding Panasonic controls to be really well thought out and also very customizable.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  5. GnedTheGnome

That seems like a much better setup. Thanks!