1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 body listed as discontinued at B & H

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by iamwhoiam, Dec 24, 2014.

1. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    Only GX7s available are the kits w/ the 14-42 lens. Silver body still an active item at Adorama & Amazon.

2. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    The way pricing has been dropping on these it is not surprising, a GX8 with 4K and DFD focusing in the spring perhaps?

• Like Like x 1
  3. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    We may find out sooner than that. CES in Las Vegas is 1/6-1/9.

4. TucsonLawrence

TucsonLawrence Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2013
    Tucson
    Lawrence Richards
    That's my guess too... but unless they sell them for $372 or less I'll still feel like I got a danged good deal :)

Lawrence

5. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    Maybe a GX8 or a G7 with some of the GX7's features?
    Still OK w/ buying and not waiting for a newer model which will cost at least 2X as much for what the GX7 is going for right now.

6. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    They're definitely a bargain at the prices they've recently dropped to. I really liked the handling. Now if they put the viewfinder on the right side of the body in a GX8 then I might be sorely tempted...

7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    It was listed as discontinued last May.

8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I do hope there's a successor, but...the GX7 is not that old, it had a brand new sensor when it was introduced - so little hope of a better one in a new model - and at the $399 I just purchased mine for, I know that there isn't a better camera on the market.

The only thing that I think the GX7 desperately needs is Auto ISO in Manual Mode. It's embarrassing that it doesn't have it (and that it wasn't added in firmware), but to me that's it's only glaring flaw. Very much looking forward to taking delivery of mine.

Honestly, I think getting hopes up for a GX8 is too early, and won't necessarily lead to good things. The GX7 is still easily competitive with the best cameras in its class (A6000, X-E2, E-M5), and even after throwing every feature they could at it, I don't know if it sold particularly well. It was probably too expensive at launch, but the body is a very clear step above competitors like the A6000 that launched a cheaper price, so I don't really know if there's an alternative there. I wish it was weather-sealed, but M4/3 needs more weather-sealed lenses before that's a must-have feature. Even one weather-sealed normal prime (in the 17-25mm f1.8 range) would make a huge difference to the desirability of weather sealing for me.

9. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Mu-43 Regular

Nov 29, 2014
    The GX7 silver body?? Maybe in Australia but not in the U.S. I just bought one recently from B & H as did a few others here.

The G6 is now listed as discontinued on B & H and not even listed at Adorama.

10. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    My point was that we don't need to take these 'discontinued' things too seriously. There have been stacks of GX7s listed for sale in aust since it was 'officially discontinued' way back whenever.

11. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    That officially discontinued thing was a goof-up by 43rumors. It was one retailer in Australia or something, and then they immediately resumed selling...

12. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I talked to a Panasonic representative in Canada in November at a photo show and he told me it was already discontinued in Canada. Only the GX7 with kit zoom was still officially sold up here.

The G6 is now discontinued on B&H too.

That means either a G7 or GX8 in january/february or maybe both? Definately a 4K camera at a lower price point than the GH4 with some missing features.

13. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    • Like Like x 1
  14. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    Amazon noted 2 body-only GX7 cameras as of this morning via Adorama. Even the Amazon GX7 kit listings were/are showing low numbers available.

Adorama's actual website noted very low stock this morning and now says closeout for their GX7 body-only listing. Kits are noting limited quantities.

The rumor sites say a G7 will be launched soon this month. If the rumor sites are correct that the GX8 won't come out until September, it seems like Panasonic is giving up a lot of sales during the prime vacation season by not having any GX7s or GX8s to sell. Odd business decision. I am wondering if there was a delay in the supposed new sensor (from Sony?).

15. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    just noticed yesterday that all of b&h's gx7 kits are now discontinued. hopefully we'll have more rumor updates and/or leaks on its successor. ;)

16. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I was in Japan recently and wondered why the prices were so low. I was mostly looking at the used prices in camera stores. I saw a GX7 with the 20mm lens for about $300. I took a day to think about it and it was gone when I went back the next day. I guess the used market is anticipating a drop of the new prices.

17. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    The GX8 has already been announced for September, it seems a bit early to drop the GX7, but maybe they want to avoid the big markdowns we have seen in the past (both Adorama and Samys show it as available).

18. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013