GX7, Best video settings, post-production workflow, color grading

Discussion in 'Video Post-Production' started by delerdelarosa, Jul 8, 2014.

1. delerdelarosa

delerdelarosa New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2014
    Montreal, Quebec
    Hi there!

There have been some good threads, touching on different things about the GX7 and video. I'm curious about a few things as I'm new to shooting video on the GX7. I'm not new to video but haven't done any video work for at least a few years.

I have a few questions for you folks. I'll try to do this as sequentially as possible.

Before shooting
    Right now I have my video settings on the GX7 set to:
    1/50th Shutter speed most of the time
    Variable ND filter
    Contrast: -5
    Sharpness: -2
    Saturation: -4
    Noise reduction: -2
    Format: 1080 60p MP4

I've found a few other tips here and there, mainly from other forum threads:

What I would like to know is are there any other settings you guys use that is key for you?

Post-production & Color Grading
    My NLE is Premiere & After Effects.

When I bring in my footage, it's quite flat. I've read a bunch of different tips such as using FilmConvert to color grade, use Premiere's Effects settings for Auto-Color, Contrast and Levels, etc. However, I find the blacks get squashed a lot and FilmConvert doesn't have a way of bringing out more detail in the blacks.

Is this because MP4's dynamic range sucks? If I were bringing in data from a nicer codec (like what comes out of Black Magic cams, Prores, RAW) would it help? Maybe I'm shooting too dark?

Lobbamobba's tutorials are pretty useful but I'm not quite getting (IMO) footage that's as nice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. TonyZhang

TonyZhang Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2014
    New Zealand
    I have a g6, and I always find myself changing my picture style settings. I shoot either standard or natural, natural in my experience tends to have a slightly stronger green tint. Contrast is always kept at a minimum, sharpess either at -5 or -2, noise reduction at 0, and saturation at 0. I used to shoot completely flat, with saturation at -5, however I find that with these 8bit cameras, you don't want to throw away any colour information, it is far easier to desaturate in post than to saturate a washed out 8bit image. People shoot flat for more latitude in post, however with these consumer mirrorless and DSLR cameras, by shooting too flat, you throw away too much data which results in the breakup of your image when you colour correct. When shooting with contrast at -5, it is generally better to slightly overexpose than to underexpose, because by minimizing the contrast, you are already raising the blacks, and if you still underexpose the image, it won't look any good if you try raise the shadows further in post.
  3. delerdelarosa

delerdelarosa New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2014
    Montreal, Quebec
    Thanks Tony. I find with the tests that I did this week that you're right about not underexposing. For now I find myself setting the exposure as properly as I can (no under/overexposing).

The saturation issue is interesting. I'll do a few more tests maybe keeping saturation below 0 but not -5 points.
  4. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

In your setup your shutter speed is less than your frame rate. In the UK we have 50p so I would aim for 1/100 shutter speed. If you were shooting 24p I think the nearest frame rate would be 1/50 on the GX-7.
  5. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    your shutter should be double whatever your frame rate is example 24p = 50
    and id rather shoot avhd than mp4 and I only shoot 60p if its a lot of camera movement or your trying to use slow motion in post, 24p to look more like film