gx7 battery life

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Cederic, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    Allegedly the (Edit: Name of camera removed as I don't want to advertise some American fucking shopping site and someone's gone and updated my post with an affiliate link) is rated for 320-350 photos from a full battery charge.

I'd like to challenge this, based on two extensive photo shoots.

Conditions:
    - I shoot largely using the LCD screen (not the viewfinder - I like waist level shooting)
    - I have the LCD screen on the whole time, I have the artificial horizon enabled and the histogram on
    - Almost all shots involve autofocus
    - I have wifi disabled (although I turned it on briefly to show its capabilities to a friend)
    - Only 5-6 shots used the flash
    - I turn the camera off between shots

The first shoot involved around 40 minutes of video (e.g. ) and the battery lasted around 400 shots on top of that. I then switched to a second battery for another 40 shots.

On the second shoot, I used the battery in the condition with which I'd finished the previous shoot. In temperatures of around 6C (not including substantial wind-chill) the battery lasted around 600 shots. I then switched battery again.

On the second shoot I was taking a large number of images of the same subject in very short time - e.g. I took 65 photographs of the same baby seal (with two camera setting changes in-between) between 9.01 and 9.03am, which may have helped get the numbers up.

Still, I don't think 320-350 is an accurate estimate.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  2. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    So the actual results are higher? That's good. I haven't had the battery die on me since I get the chance to charge before it happens.

But doesn't it also depend on the lens? But I guess there wouldn't be much difference.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The Panasonic rating is based on a standard industry test which enables consumers to compare different cameras. As the saying goes, Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV).

4. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    The battery life is about as good as GH2 or EM-5 In other words I can shoot all day except in the afternoon you need to change batteries. So just own two batteries. And you can review your shots,magnify them show them to other people delete some of them and otherwise abuse the battery.

5. XenMaster

XenMaster New to Mu-43

Oct 22, 2013
    I've been pleasantly suprised by the battery life on my GX7.....especially doing nighttime long exposures and lots of on screen fiddling.....which on my D200 would suck batteries dry in a couple of hours (D200 was known as a bit of a battery hog, but given the smaller battery and heavier processing in the GX7 I was expecting roughly similar performance)....

So far I've not managed to use a battery up in a day, though I've not used the flash yet and only use wifi occasionally.....I got a couple of third party spare batteries which seem just as good so I think running out of juice will never be a problem (just hope they never explode in my camera!)

6. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I had a brand new STK battery swell up and overhead in my E-P3 this summer.

7. Ultbruin

Ultbruin Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 30, 2013
    I've also been pleasantly surprised by the battery life. Got over 600 shots.

8. deejayvee

deejayvee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    David
    Me too. After regularly getting 1500 shots from 1 battery in my GH3, I was preparing myself for much less with the GX7. It is, but nowhere near as bad as 300. Somewhere around 500-600 seems to be the mark.