gx7 battery door will not close

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by westcan, Feb 17, 2014.

1. westcan

westcan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2012
    Can anyone help before I go to Panasonic?

Charged my battery the other day, then after I opened the battery door and replaced the battery, the door won't close! Seems the sliding catch will not slide anymore.
    Right now I am using duct tape on my new camera....bummer! everything works, I just can't keep the battery door closed.

Any ideas? The slider has a little leaf spring on the inside of the door, could this be blocking something?

2. RobR

RobR Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Connecticut, USA
    Robert Reinhardt
    Do you have any pictures?

• Like Like x 1
  3. westcan

westcan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2012
    see if this works.
    2 pics, one of the outside showing the sliding catch, and one of the inside showing the leaf spring.

Attached Files:

4. RobR

RobR Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Connecticut, USA
    Robert Reinhardt
    Does the sliding catch work when the door is open?

-Rob

• Like Like x 1
  5. westcan

westcan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2012
    no the catch will only move a millimetre or so when I slide it, and will immediately return when I let it go.

6. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    [​IMG]

[I'm not sure if the image will show...]
    But there should be two circles, one red and one green. The black plastic on those circles move when you move the sliding catch. The lock mechanism is on the green circle. Basically, the thin metal strip is the one locking it in and is the one that makes the clicking sound with the plastic. It should fit nicely into two "sockets" or recesses.

I can't see the picture clearly due to the flash, but yours look fine... the metal must not be "jumping" completely to the lower socket and thus not locking properly. Must be getting stuck on the "ridge"? Did this happen just recently? Or was it a recurring problem?

[If the picture is not showing, the black plastic I'm talking about is a little bit on the upper right, the one that breaks the metal at the top. And the thin metal strip is the vertical strip on the right that's slightly bent inward.]

• Like Like x 1
  7. westcan

westcan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2012
    I can't see your image but I think I know what you mean. Yes, it looks to me that the thin metal strip is not letting the switch "slide".

If anyone wants to try to post a pic of one that is working, please do. It is a little difficult to do that here as you will have to set up a photo album with your username. (at least that is the way I did it)

8. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Might be time to use your warranty.

• Like Like x 1
  9. greenarcher02

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Apparently SkyDrive/OneDrive can't work that way...

I'm at home now so here it is: 02172014521_edited.JPG

video:http://youtu.be/oVC-l1uf0d0

biomed may be right. Time to use your warranty if it's really broken.

• Like Like x 1
  10. westcan

westcan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2012
    thanks, that video really helps. I am travelling right now but at home I have a magnifying glass to check, but it looks like the leaf spring won't let the switch slide forward. i will have to find a pin somewhere, see if I can lift it.

11. greenarcher02

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Careful not to void your warranty...

• Like Like x 2
  12. westcan

westcan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2012
    lifiting it did not do anything, which means it was not the leaf spring.

but...a friend of mine I am travelling with had a small screwdriver for their eyeglasses which also fits the 2 screws of the metal plate on the inside of the door.

I shouldn't have, but I took it apart :eek:

13. westcan

westcan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2012
    so....
    after you remove the screws, you have to remove the plate by (see pic)
    1) lifting up the hinge spring (purple circle)
    2) while lifting up the hinge spring, slide the plate to the left because it is slotted under some plastic bits (red square)

Once the plate was off it looked like there was a small black plastic post (green circle, either the post you see or now it is hidden) with a tiny tiny coil spring on it. So tiny I couldn't really see it with the light I was using.

Unfortunately at that moment Switzerland scored a goal in the Women's Olympic bronze medal game so I went over to the tv to see the replay, when I came back I forgot about the coil spring, lifted up the camera, and turned it over to look at it. At that point I remembered the coil spring, but it did not look like there was anything there. Oh well, maybe I was mistaken.

But I looked on the floor beneath my chair anyway, and saw a small piece of black plastic. hmmmm I thought, what's that? It looked like a rectangle with a horseshoe on the end. I figured out it would fit on the black post, and then a bit on the side of the rectangle would sit over the side of the sliding switch, maintaining another pressure point on the switch, but beneath the metal plate.

Too bad I lost the spring on the floor......

Amazingly, I looked under the table, and there it was! (it really is very tiny)

So, I put the sliding switch in the locked position, the spring on the post, the horsehoe over the spring, and the black rectangle over the side of the switch, then the plate on top.

Had to figure out how to lift the hinge spring up and slide the metal plate back on first though.

Screwed the screws back in....and now it works again!

I am guessing the little horseshoe plate had slipped off of the side of the sliding switch and so I could not move the switch back into the locking position because it was jamming agains the horseshoe plate.

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

14. greenarcher02

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Good thing you were able to fix it! That was suspenseful reading that.. You voided the warranty AND almost lost parts! But good job! I'm glad it's fixed now :D

• Like Like x 1