1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GX7 back from the dead

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jcarrith, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Jcarrith

Jcarrith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Colorado
    In May I dropped my GX7 and 100-300mm in a saltwater lagoon in Costa Rica. After drying them for a few days they both appeared to be toast. I brought them back and put them away. I was looking in the storage today and noticed them. The lens had lots of salt deposits inside and did not work. I put a fresh battery in the camera and it fired right up. I had to go through set up like it was a new camera but everything appears to work. This is not the first time this has happened to me I had a G5 lost in a house flood that also returned to life but that was fresh water.

• Like Like x 2
  2. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    I hope the lens can be restored by a good service tech!

3. Jcarrith

Jcarrith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Colorado
    Me to laing it in to a camera shop in a nearby town to see if it can be repaired if not will consider sending it to the panny repair center in Texas.

4. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Heck, I'd be tempted to soak and agitate the non-working lens in successive baths of distilled water to get rid of the salt, then dry the exterior as much as possible before putting it in a box full of those desiccant packages for a week or so. I suspect repair costs would be near-equivalent to replacement costs, but it's certainly worth a try. Congrats on the GX7 returning from the dead!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 3