GX7 back from the dead

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jcarrith, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Jcarrith

Jcarrith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    In May I dropped my GX7 and 100-300mm in a saltwater lagoon in Costa Rica. After drying them for a few days they both appeared to be toast. I brought them back and put them away. I was looking in the storage today and noticed them. The lens had lots of salt deposits inside and did not work. I put a fresh battery in the camera and it fired right up. I had to go through set up like it was a new camera but everything appears to work. This is not the first time this has happened to me I had a G5 lost in a house flood that also returned to life but that was fresh water.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    I hope the lens can be restored by a good service tech!
  3. Jcarrith

Jcarrith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Me to laing it in to a camera shop in a nearby town to see if it can be repaired if not will consider sending it to the panny repair center in Texas.
  4. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Heck, I'd be tempted to soak and agitate the non-working lens in successive baths of distilled water to get rid of the salt, then dry the exterior as much as possible before putting it in a box full of those desiccant packages for a week or so. I suspect repair costs would be near-equivalent to replacement costs, but it's certainly worth a try. Congrats on the GX7 returning from the dead!
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 3