GX7? Awful!!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by oldracer, Oct 4, 2013.

1. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Well, not really.

Mine came a few days ago and like it quite a bit. But the posts here that laud it as the photographic equivalent of the second coming, are I think, a little over the top. So I'm starting this thread for folks to register criticisms and complaints. Here are my top two:

1) No articulated LCD. Panasonic already has very nice designs for articulated LCDs. Using one probably wouldn't increase the camera thickness more than a millimeter or two, but NOOOOO! We have an LCD that is no use for low angle vertical-format shots and, worse, the LCD glass is vulnerable to damage at all times. It cannot be reversed to face into the camera for protection.

2) Lousy grip. Or, maybe, "barely tolerable" grip. Had the grip been made larger, at least to the same height as a pancake lens, the handling of the camera would have been substantially improved at no real cost in bulk. Further, the dinky grip means we get a dinky battery --- 25% smaller/weaker than the batteries in my G1s.

So, I guess we wait for the GX8 and hope to have these things fixed.
  2. Westcoast

Westcoast Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 3, 2013
    I think everyone was enthusiastic but I don't think any one said it was the second coming... :)

As for the articulating screen, it probably would have added a lot of bulk to a camera they were trying to keep small. If you need a vertical shot try using a smartphone and the image app to frame your photo. It works pretty good once you get it set up.

No camera will be everything to everyone, but for me it's a perfect fit between smartphone snaps and my 5DM3.
  3. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    That's hardly a reason to claim its awful, geez.

1st.. Everyone buying this camera knows the screen setup! Which is by far common for this form factor. Zero reason to complain. If its an issue for you, donbt buy it. Hardly a shocking find if you bought it.

2nd. As for grip, seriously. For a rf like bidy its actually very well regarded.

Seems to me you simply don't like rf like bodies, so why did you buy one?
    • Like Like x 3
  4. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    I finally got to play with a GX7 and, as far as M43 compacts go, it has one of the better grips out there. Certainly whips the Pen series and GX1. I find an articulating EVF greatly preferable over an LCD screen but then I don't like using screens for composition. If RRS comes out with an L-plate for the GX7 I'd buy the camera just so I can use that plate. Pretty sure the E-P5 will never have a dedicated L-plate due to the moving LCD.
  5. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't have the GX7 yet, but I handled one recently, and I do have a GX1. IMO, the GX7 is a substantial upgrade from the GX1 in terms of both the LCD and grip.
  6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I agree on point 1.

As far as grip goes, this is all going to be personal choice, and its all going to depend on when it gets into one's hands. Some of the lighter models don't need much grip, but some of the heavier models require a more substantial grip. For example, I'm really disappointed that the E-P5 didn't allow for interchangeable grips like its predecessor did.
  7. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    As an user of Sony nex 6 & Oly e-p/e-pl/omd series, the grip felt awkward, which makes the camera bulkier then it is, maybe I get used to it, maybe not... I have to try it with bigger lenses and see. I use the grip upgrade for e-p's but Oly dropped that option w/ e-p5... Nex-6 has the most comfortable grip of all rf style cameras esp using w/ big lenses...
  8. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Do you know what is so bad about this camera? I do not have one and I know its a form factor I would be comfortable with.
  9. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    If they were going to make it fully articulating, something would've had to give. Either the screen would've been smaller or the body would've been bigger. The reason manufacturers use this design is because it has such a small footprint. Who needs an articulating screen anyway, when you can connect your phone and use one that isn't even attached to the camera.

I had only heard good things about the grip previously, but I guess it just goes to show you need to try a camera before buying. It can be the little things that kill the experience.
  10. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    You can't want the GX7 to have a G or GH -series grip, you're asking it to become a new GH-series camera essentially. I say NO. Let those of us who want a small rangefinder in Panasonic's top-tier to remain so.
  11. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    +1 :thumbup:
  12. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    :biggrin: And after all most of us have two hands any way :biggrin:
  13. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    It's not the second coming, but its the first Panasonic m43 body since the GF1 that I've actually enthusiastically LIKED - I never bonded with the GH2 or G3 and sort of gave up on them for a while.

And your two weaknesses are two real strengths in my opinion - I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Regarding the flip up screen, Pany already has numerous cameras with fully articulating screens. This is their first flip up screen and this type of screen has obviously gotten popular - it hasn't seemed to hurt Nex or Olympus or now Fuji any. I prefer being able to down at the screen without having to pull the damn thing out to the side first, like some appendage. A flip up is perfect for me and I'm glad Panasonic joined in and finally offered one.

And the grip feels great to me. I'm shooting with an EM5, an RX1, a Fuji XE1, a Nikon A, and I'm demo-ing the GX7 and EP5. The GX7 is the only one with an even remotely substantial built-in grip. I'm ok with the lesser grips of the others, but I find this one comfortable and useful - I wouldn't want a full grip on a small camera like this.

Sounds like you'd be a LOT happier with a G5 or G6 - they both have exactly what you're asking for, no?

• Like Like x 3
  14. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Couldn't agree more. I went to look through the rest of the thread just to see if anyone else had made note of this. Fully articulated screens tend to be antithetical to quick shooting, particular for street shooters. There's no way to move the screen up or down without wasting time opening the screen, unless you leave your screen open all the time. I thought I'd miss my G3s 'fully articulating screen when I got the OM-D, but it's been quite the opposite. When I'm out on the streets, I simply push the screen down or up, and then put it back in place when I'm done. Unless you leave the screen hanging out all the time, this is too flow on a fully articulating screen (note, I haven't really tried Sony's on the A99, which seems like a better implementation). I miss it for "selfies" and group shots, but that's about it.
  15. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    A tilting screen isn't just a poor man's version of an articulated screen. It has it's own utility. Yes, an articulated screen is more flexible in terms of the ways it can be oriented, but it also uses more real estate to do so and the screen can be a long way from the axis of the lens which some might find disorienting.

The tilting screen is a more discrete device but where I find it's greatest usefulness is in operating the camera via the touchscreen while still keeping a stable grip on the camera. This means that you can do instant and pinpoint focus selection and shutter release with the gentlest tap of your finger or thumb rather than applying force on the camera via the shutter button. Of course an articulated screen can be touchscreen operated as well but it is more difficult when it is off to the side.

This new way of shooting a camera may not appeal even if it does have some advantages over traditional methods. However it is not as if articulated screens have been replaced. The G6 has one. The GH3 has one. In fact, despite my like of the tilt and touchscreen I think that the E-M1 possibly should have had an articulated screen because the design of the grip and location of controls means the I would be less inclined to use it as a touchscreen operated device. The smaller bodies with minimal grips like the E-M5 and GX7 however are just perfect for a tilt-only screen. These are fundamental things to consider before choosing a camera.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I appreciate your input Old Racer! I was resigned to buy one of these and then the Feds shut down (I am a federal contractor). I would still like ISO100 and 1/8000 shutter speed, but I can't afford the price they want for it now. Your post helped me overcome my disappointment.

17. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Most of what's being discussed is a matter of personal preference. Some will like bigger grips, others prefer cameras with no grip, or almost none. I personally prefer articulated screens, but realize not everyone agrees. I don't use the screen to compose often, but when I do it's usually because I want to shoot in a position where I can't look through the EVF, and the more flexibility the better.

But I have to admit that I find the answer is to use a smartphone screen to be more than a little impractical. Holding the camera in one hand, a phone in the other, and trying to aim the camera while looking somewhere else, and hold it all steady at the same time, hardly sounds practical.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
  19. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    He never said it doesn't:biggrin::wink:
  20. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer