GX7 auto focus modes

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by aeromonte, Jun 25, 2014.

1. aeromonte

aeromonte New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2013
    I have been using the 1-area auto focus mode and moving the autofocus area (medium size square) to where I want to focus. It works pretty well.
    What does it do when you enlarge the focus area (square)? When you make it as large as it goes (which is a pretty large portion of the screen), does everything get focused in the entire area or is the center of the area more in focus and gets less sharp as you go towards the border?? Does that make sense?

Also, what would the 23-area mode be useful for? I can't see how it could be useful compared to 1-area and the GX7 owners manual is pretty much useless.

2. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    I imagine it is the largest area of significant contrast anywhere in the box. But might well include some preference to closer objects over distant ones.

Shooting with a large focus area is bound to lead to many shots where the wrong thing is in focus, hence why most here would likely use the smallest AF box. Or face detection.
  3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    It will generally focus on the nearest object in the AF area that has sufficient contrast for AF lock.

For 1-area AF, the bigger the square, the less precision is available for you to select the exact spot of sharpest focus -- but the faster the AF. On the smallest 1-area square, AF is noticeably slower and sometimes doesn't lock.

23-area AF allows you to select any one of 9 zones in the image for AF, and it will only look there for AF and generally pick the closest point that falls in it.