1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 and shutter shock?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by darzur, Aug 5, 2015.

1. darzur

darzur Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 5, 2015
    Darek
    Hello u43 community,

I'm totally new here and for now I don't even have a single piece of u43 equipment. I'm in the process of selling out my Nikon DSLR gear and was about to buy kit of GX7 + Pana 20/1.7. Well, I was... until accidentally read about this entire shutter stock issue somewhere. Then I've started digging deeper and deeper and now I'm not so convinced to GX7. Is here somebody who can tell me how GX7 + 20/1.7 behaves in this regard? In the future I plan to buy Pana 12-35/2.8 (and some cheapo telephoto) but read somewhere that there is no issue with it.

BTW. I'm wondering why there is no FW update to address this issue. It's obviously doable (to some extent at least) as shows E-M10. Now I'm a bit hesitant which one to choose - I like GX7 much more but on the other side IQ is most important factor for me.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  2. Svereb

Svereb New to Mu-43

Aug 5, 2015
    Steve Vereb
    I did the same thing after hauling my Nikon gear on a 10 day trip. I got the GX7 with the kit lens (for now). No problems and IQ is very good. Chose GX7 over GX8 since I don't need 4k or computer upgrades to handle it.

3. darzur

darzur Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 5, 2015
    Darek
    I know that quality is very good but my concern is shutter shock. Maybe this whole thing is exaggerated, but on the other hand some examples (found on this forum too) makes me worry a bit.

4. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I've never noticed shutter shock on my GX7 - or rather, nothing I would specifically attribute to that, rather than some other minute bit of carelessness when shooting.

If you're concerned about it, use the electronic shutter. There is zero degradation of RAW quality when using it on the GX7 - they only started binning the bit rate with the GM1 and GH4 to increase read-out speeds.

The only times when you don't want to use it are if you're trying to capture very fast motion or are working under fluorescent light indoors (in which case you will see banding due to the flicker frequency of the bulb). Other than that, you really can use it full time, and never need to be concerned about shutter shock. It is also not usable for very long exposures, but shutter shock isn't a concern for those, either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. darzur

darzur Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 5, 2015
    Darek
    Can enabling/disabling e-shutter be assigned to a button? I was convinced that it degrades RAW quality lowering available dynamic range. If it's not the case then the other limitations are not a big issue for me. Indeed I use fill flash quite often, but then I can simply switch to mechanical shutter.

6. tkc9789

tkc9789 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I have e-shutter enable/disable assigned to f2. Assignment is made under custom>Fn Button Set.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    http://m43photo.blogspot.ca/2014/05/worse-image-quality-with-e-shutter.html

That shows the difference with the GX7 when pushing the shadows 3 stops. There is a slightly different WB, but the actual quantity of luminance noise when pushed (i.e. DR) seems trivially different to me.

I have also assigned Silent Mode to Fn2 on my GX7. Very useful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. darzur

darzur Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 5, 2015
    Darek
    Thanks to all of you. It looks like SS can be easily avoided if it will be there, so I'll give a go to GX7. Besides I have 14 days return period in case something will be horribly wrong with it.

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I had a GX7 and did some testing for SS. I found some slight blurring with the Oly 45 lens at around 1/125s, but it was a lot better than I saw on the E-P5. I did a thread on it here. My last post summarises my thoughts:

Shock news! - the GX7 suffers from shutter shock!

Bottom line - it's not an easily repeatable problem, the effect varies by lens and holding technique, the impact is often quite subtle and in any case, using the GX7's electronic shutter completely eliminates it.

10. addled

addled Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 1, 2011
    Marbella, Spain
    And remember, every camera not using an electronic shutter suffers from shutter shock, and in the case of DSLRs, mirror shock as well. All that varies are the details, it will be there.

11. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    I've never noticed it. But, I always attribute my bad photos to my own poor technique.

From now on, I'm going to tell models that I lose 90% of my images to shutter shock :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've never noticed shutter shock to be an issue on my GX7 in mechanical shutter mode. But it also does have an electronic shutter mode that you could enable in the rare case that you noticed it.

13. darzur

darzur Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 5, 2015
    Darek
    The problem is that you can only notice it when you are sitting home in front of your big monitor and then it's way too late. So the best way is to take few shots in controlled environment just to know if it's present and if it is then stick to e-shutter where applicable.

14. tkbslc

All I know is that my shots sure are sharper on my GX7 than they were on my Canon 60D due to the improved focus accuracy, light AA filter and crazy sharp m4/3 glass. Haven't thought about shutter shock once!

• Like Like x 1
  15. darzur

darzur Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 5, 2015
    Darek
    No doubt. :) And what glass are you using? For start I want Pana 20/1.7. It's perfect FoV for me and from various sources I know it should be razor sharp.

16. tkbslc

I bought the 20mm as of my first lenses. It is very sharp! But I've swapped a few lenses out and now I have the 15mm f1.7, 25mm f1.8, 45mm f1.8 and 75mm f1.8. Ended up spending about twice what I thought I would when getting into m4/3, but the glass is just so good! The 45mm f1.8 is probably the weakest of the bunch and it's still sharper than pretty much anything I used on Canon... :)

20mm f1.7 is excellent, but for me the deal breaker was that the AF can't do continuous focus and I have small kids. It's one of the only m4/3 lenses with slow AF, unfortunately. Optically (and size-wize) it's a absolute gem otherwise.

17. EricRose

EricRose Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    The upper 12
    Eric Rose
    I've shot my GX7 in both shutter modes and have never experienced what you are describing. Both on and off a tripod. I have used the e-shutter with a Nikkor 50mm f2 lens (making it 100mm) and nothing showed up. I have also used the kit 14-42 and the 20mm f1.7. Never a problem.

18. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The EM10 is a similar price to the GX7 right now, and has electronic first-curtain shutter, effectively eliminating any shutter shock.

19. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I sold my E-m5 primarily because of SS, I have checked and tested a GX7 at a Panasonic store locally and compared them directly but only at the speeds that affected my E-m5 (1/80 to 1/125) and saw no indications of it.
    I can't say that they don't occur above or below the speeds I tested but from my own research on the topic, I don't seem to have found too many complaints of SS affecting this particular model. In fact, apart from the occasional GX7 SS question like yours, I don't think I've found any at all.

20. darzur

darzur Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 5, 2015
    Darek
    #agentlossing I know about recent implementation of EFCS in E-M10 but I like GX7 much more (and pana lenses are cheaper, especially 12-35/2.8 and 20/1.7 in kit) so it's why I've started this thread. Anyway it's good to here that GX7 is most probably free from this defect.