GX7 and PocketWizard Issues

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mgulls, Jan 28, 2016.

1. mgulls

mgulls New to Mu-43

Jan 28, 2016
    Michael
    Hello --

I recently picked up a used GX7 and so far have loved it. This past weekend I was going to use it to shoot some portraits in my studio set up. Typically I shoot Canon (5DIII) and have no issues. I pulled the PocketWizard off the 5D, placed it on the GX7 and it won't fire.

The GX7 recognizes when the PocketWizard Plus II is on the hot shoe as it changes from no flash to force flash. I haven't used an external flash with the GX7 as all I have are Speedlites so I'm not sure if this is a settings issue or a hot shoe issue. The PocketWizard works fine on my Canon bodies.

Any ideas? I tried emailing tech support and didn't get much help.

Thanks!

Michael

2. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Are you still able to fire a flash directly attached to your hotshoe? I actually had my GX7 hotshoe go bad on me about 2 weeks ago. See if you're able to fire another hotshoe mounted flash (speedlite in manual should fire?). It could be as simple as your camera's contact plates needing to be cleaned to remove oxidization/buildup, but apparently mine was going to require a repair... out of warranty... so I got a new GX8. Apparently @kissel@kissel had a similar issue. GX7 Flash Issues

3. mgulls

mgulls New to Mu-43

Jan 28, 2016
    Michael
    Thanks for the reply! I'll try the Speedlite later today or tonight and see if it'll fire. I also noticed in the thread you linked a comment about burst. I do have high burst on, so maybe that's it? I didn't even think of that being an issue.

It's still a great camera but if it is the hotshoe that would be disappointing.

4. mgulls

mgulls New to Mu-43

Jan 28, 2016
    Michael
    I just checked with a Speedlite and nothing. Camera recognizes it's there but doesn't fire. No oxidation or buildup on the hot shoe that I see either. :(

5. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Just to make sure.... you're not in silent mode or electronic shutter, correct? It sounds silly, but I've made that mistake more than once. If not, the next option is to contact Panasonic help via their website (fairly friendly) or to take it in to your local camera store for assistance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mgulls

mgulls New to Mu-43

Jan 28, 2016
    Michael
    Nope, those are both off. I've sent off an email to Panasonic. We'll see what they have to say. Thanks for your help!