1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX7 AE/AF Lock button

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by aeromonte, Mar 17, 2014.

1. aeromonte

aeromonte New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2013
    I'm a newbie to photography and the GX7 - so please bear with me..

Does anyone have the AE/AF lock button mastered and is willing to give better instructions than the full manual has for the GX7?? I'm confused..

For example: If I were to take a picture of a sunset in A mode (F4-5ish) with the14MM Panasonic and want to focus 1/3rd up from bottom - what is the best/easiest way to use spot metering and the AE lock button to meter the sky so the pic doesn't come out over/under exposed?

Any bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

First off select Spot Metering from the Metering Mode menu.
    Second, your focal point is the position where the spot metering occurs. Move the camera so that the spot is on the sky (or wherever you want to meter) and then press and hold the AF/AE button.
    Third, recompose shot with the horizon positioned as you wish and the take the shot (whilst continuing to hold the AF/AE button).

For all of this to work you need to have selected "AE Lock" within the "AF/AE Lock" option within the Custom Menu.

3. aeromonte

aeromonte New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2013
    Thanks for the fast reply! So you can't meter for the sky and then focus on the foreground (beach 1/3rd up from bottom of frame)? So basically where you spot meter is where you have to focus??

4. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    you can refocus if you use another button for auto focus or use manual focus. I use the half-press shutter for AF, so just hold the AEL button and recompose, half-press to focus, full press to take pic.

5. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

As above, yes you can. The shutter is completely separate from the AE/AF button. You use the AE/AF button to set the exposure and then you can half-press the shutter to focus on whatever you want. You need to keep holding on to the AE/AF button the maintain the selected focus though.

6. aeromonte

aeromonte New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2013
    Thank you! I'll have to give it a try again..
    I think when I spot metered the sky and then held the AE Lock button to recompose - when I touched the screen to focus where I wanted, it also changed the metereing spot (blue cross) to the spot where I wanted to focus. Maybe I was doing it wrong or have to look at the settings again.

7. leuallen

leuallen Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2010
    Mackinaw, Il
    Use manual exposure. Set your exposure as you wish. It will not change as you move the camera around or press the shutter button. Contrary to popular belief manual exposure is not difficult. Do not be afraid to set the exposure indicator bar in the EVF to plus or minus values. If I meter off the sky the indicator may be set to 1 stop or more than the zero index. Grass or normally lit area are usually at or near zero. I generally meter snowy scenes1 2/3 -2 stops more. For dark area metering the exposure will be in the negative territory. It takes practice to learn this. Meter a scene, make an exposure, check the histogram. It should go very close the right side but not over (unless you want areas of pure white). Remember the camera meter is trying to make the area you meter on 18% gray. So if you meter on white, it will come out gray, not what you want. So you have to increase exposure (about 2 stops) to get the white white. Counter intuitive but that is the way it works. You soon get use to this.

Program the AEL/AFL button to AFL. Choose your focus point and line up the focus rectangle on it, press the back button. The focus rectangle will turn green indicating focus. It will stay this way until you change it or press the AFL button again (toggle) to revert to half press focus (next item). OR, if you prefer, with the camera not focused, no green rectangle, focus by half pressing the shutter button. This is probably the most versatile and fastest mode of operation. With aperture exposure, the exposure will depend upon where the camera is framed often leading to undesired results. Note that reviewing the image will also release the locked focus, wish it didn't.

It will take some practice to become fluid with this procedure. Generally use back button for static subjects and landscapes and half press for action where the subject is moving. This method allows instant change between focus methods. Note: wish Oly worked this way. It is far more cumbersome to switch using Oly.

As to your sunset question. There are many valid exposures for this situation. I would get the exposure I liked with manual mode (matrix not spot) by chimping. Then I would take my keepers using back button focus. I would vary the exposure up and down by about a stop for different effects, there is no correct one, just the one you like.

If the sun is in the frame and visible, it complicates things. In this case the histogram will go over the right edge. You want to find a balance where the sun is not too blown out but there is still good detail in the other areas. The sun will be a white disk. For really good results, advanced techniques such as HDR are needed using bracketed exposures, camera on a tripod. Another technique is to wait until a dark cloud covers the sun, which often happens on spectacular sunsets. Then the exposure is much more manageable.

Larry

8. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Press and hold AE Lock to lock the exposure, then reframe for focusing and use shutter button half way to lock the focus where you want it, then frame the shot and 'click'.

9. aeromonte

aeromonte New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2013
    Thanks all! I'll play with it a bit more!

10. absolutic

absolutic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I am a relative newbie of gx7. Is there a full ael lock without need to keep holding ae button, like on many other cameras? Basic scenario: I want to take a photo of my wife at wide aperture at sunset. I want to lock metering off the sky and then not worry about it for next 2 minutes just focusing on my wife and using HSS flash to light her up? Most dslrs and mirrorless will let me
    Set a button as aelock without having to keep holding it? Is ae on screen button a solution?

11. ripgriffith

ripgriffith Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2015
    In your custom menu, immediately below the AE Lock selection is AE Lock hold. Set this on, then the AE Lock becomes an on/off toggle.