1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

gx7: 17mm vs 20mm II

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by rabican, Nov 2, 2013.

1. rabican

rabican Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2012
    Hello all,
    I have a Olympus epl2 with 17mm but I'm getting a gx7 for Xmas.

Should I sell the 17mm for the 20mm? I used to own to old 20mm and really enjoyed the colors and small form factor over the 17mm. The 17 was just so much faster with focus. Since this isn't a problem anymore which is best?

I'm hoping to break even so price shouldn't be a issue.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    How do you mean that isn't a problem? The new 20 is just as slow as the old one. It'll be faster on the GX7 than on the E-PL2, but it's still nowhere near as fast as the 17.

3. rabican

rabican Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2012
    I meant it wasn't a problem because I thought it was faster on the gx7. I want aware it's slow still. :(

4. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    I have it on my GX7 it's fast.
    But wait, just keep it and compare ^^!

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Sorry, I guess I should have qualified my statement more - both 20s are certainly slower than the 17. Whether that's too slow for your use may be a different question though.

6. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Since any lens will be faster to focus with the GX7 than with the EPL2, you might be able to forgive it. Seeing as it's not much more to get the lens in a kit, I would get that and sell the lens later for much monies if you don't like it.

Just as an aside... that's one hell of a christmas present!

7. rabican

rabican Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2012
    Agreed, def a good xmas present :p

...I've heard pannys in lens stabilization is very good, and the in body stabilization isn't as good. This makes me think that the 20mm might be better due to the stabilization over then 17mm using the cameras stabilizer. Thoughts?

8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    The 20 does not have stabilization built into the lens.

9. rabican

rabican Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2012
    really? I just assumed all panasonic lenses did.

10. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    If the lense states OIS it is stabilized, otherwise no. The 20 and 25 are not stabilized, but if you are getting a GX7...that body has stabilization, so you will have the option with any lense.

11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    And most people who have tested it think the Panasonic IBIS is pretty good, though not as good as Oly's 5-way. There area couple of outliers, but most reports are that it's within about 1 stop of the 5-way.

12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    This whole thread is built upon a wobbly tower of misunderstandings.

Sell everything, buy the Sigma 19mm.

Or not.

13. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    And we dont even know which 17mm lens he is talking about, 1.8 or 2.8? big difference there alone. Surmising its the 1.8 to be comparable.

14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Reading between the lines it's the big one with fast focus, the 17mm F1.8

15. rabican

rabican Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2012
    Yes, sorry 17mm F/1.8.

So if the focus is only slightly slower, and there isn't any stabilization differences it really just comes down to the size in which case the 20mm is smaller...I'll prob buy both, return the 20mm if I'm not happy or less the 17mm if I like it more.

16. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I tried my 17/1.8 on my E-PL2 and the focus is slow, but not quite as slow as the 20/1.7 (which I also have). On the more recent Olympus bodies, and the GX1, the 17/1.8 is nearly instantaneous; the 20/1.7 is not. I suspect the 17/1.8 will be noticeably faster on the GX7 than a 20/1.7. Since the speed of both lenses will be very different on the GX7, I suggest trying them both. There's more to a lens than just AF speed.

17. rabican

rabican Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2012
    As i previously stated, I have both and after playing with both, only my GX7 I think im going to stick with the 20mm since the focus speed is dooable and the photos are slightly nicer looking. I love the compact size and look on the camera. I'm going to be selling my 17mm 1.8.

18. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    The 17 1.8 is my bread and butter lens on my EM5 and I really like it, but I can't for the life of me figure out why Panasonic would not improve the focusing on that 20 when they came out with the new model. That is the only thing that needed changing in my view. A lens of that size and optical performance would be in everyone's bag if they did.

19. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    They didn't come out with a new model. They gave it a new shell to match the newer lenses. No expensive optical design team and retooling required. Just a redesign of the shell and new molds. Why spend money redesigning a well-liked, good selling lens?

Fred

20. gswpete

gswpete Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2011
    I have both and prefer the faster AF speed of the 17mm and how it renders images.
    The focus speed of the 20mm is not too bad. Most of the time it locks focus pretty fast, but when it hunts it takes a while.