Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by skibinski, Oct 23, 2012.

1. skibinski

skibinski Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012
    Anyone have any thoughts about an upcoming GX2? Best I can find, there's some speculation about it coming in November. That's pretty soon.

Any rumors to share?
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Last I read it was rumored that it would be announced in November.

I am excited about this camera, even if it is just a sensor refresh and electronic/silent shutter.
  3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Strong rumours that it'll feature a top-left EVF.

But there's been strong rumours of that since the GF1.
  4. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Just rumors.

Photo Plus show starts Thursday in NYC. If it was real, it would be at the show, just as GH3 will be.
  5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA

... but I still think they will beat Olympus to the rangefinder-styled-but-with-built-in-viewfinder body.
  6. skibinski

skibinski Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012
    How can they cram a viewfinder into that compact form factor?
  7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think the only thing "strong" about these rumors is the wishful thinking of a certain segment of the online community.

Take a look at the Nex6 and Nex7.
  8. theconejo

theconejo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    evf or bust.

The add-on EVF that Panasonic offers makes me cringe every time I see it, so I am totally on board for a built-in one like the Sony's or Fuji's. Actually I really like everything about the Fuji x-e1 but do not want to ditch :43: as I have gotten few nice lenses and also comfortable with mostly all aspects of my gf2.

This rumor is why I didn't pick up a gx1 in Taiwan(for cheap!) or even on Amazon used for 320. Just waiting!
  9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I doubt GX2 will have a built in VF. It would drive up the camera price, make it compete with G5 and leave all the LVF2 owners really upset :)
    I do think they could release a RF style camera like the Fuji XE1 but as a separate premium priced model.
    They are not in a rush because Olympus does not have a camera like that either. I don't think they really see themselves as competing with Fuji or even Sony.
  10. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

PhotoPlus show feedback

Just attended Photo Plus show in NYC.

No GX2 - nothing in the works for the immediate future.
    Hung around the booth and the GX1 was getting lots of attention. The optional view finder was well received.

GH3 was the real attention getter, along with the custom "Lumix" motorcycle adorned with very photogenic passenger. I'll post some photos soon, as long as we don't loose power from the storm.
  11. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    like it doesn't really exist? :biggrin:

... sorry can't help it. typo maybe?
  12. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    He made me laugh "... and got desired results. It has unique features."
    Are you from future? Are you human? Tell us more.

I am sorry, couldn't help here.
  13. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    IF true, that might indicate it's going to be a major redesign, not just a tweak with a new sensor and a few new features.
  14. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    If true there might be two causes. Unlike what this forum thinks GX1 was not a hit, we can see it in the price drop. Panasonic is rethinking about GX product line. Panasonic is late in the development of a competitive sensor. This might cause the release of the GH3 with Sony sensor.

If the second reason is true, the GH3 will have a short life span and will get the the Panasonic sensor when it will be ready.
  15. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    How much is the possibility (marketing-wise) that they will update the new GH3 out of the production line with new Panasonic sensor if they finished it, rather than announcing GH5 ?
  16. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Panasonic is probably using Sony sensor in the GH3. If Panasonic is developing a competing sensor it will be wise for them to change the GH3 in the future.

This can be done by introducing an updates version GH3s, GH5 or even just replace the sensor in cost reduction operation, without changing the name.
    They introduced the GH3 with Sony as a gap filler for two reasons, OMD showed superiority over any Panasonic product and the GH2 was probably behind in the competition thus losing sales.
    All this is with the assumption that Panasonic is developing a competing sensor. It might be that Panasonic due to their restructuring, decided not to invest in high quality low volume sensor, in this case they will continue to buy the Sony sensor to their high end cameras.

We as outsiders can only guess.
  17. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I'm a bit disappointed in Oly and Pany both for not coming out with a rangefinder styled Gf/x or Pen series to date, yet alone an advanced/weather sealed one. Given 90% of my shooting is w/ primes, I was really hoping for an Oly w/ ibis, though I've only owned pany bodies to date, I'm really not brand loyal.

I've actually been drooling over the e-x1, and I'm avoiding the local camera shops incase they have them on display. If adobe fixes the raw issue before oly/pany makes a RF style camera, I may jump ship.
  18. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    They have to at least change the name, since it's tied to other coponents in the pipeline (raw processor, color profiles, etc).
  19. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA