1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX2 coming soon?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jonathan F/2, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    It seems like a lot of GX1 deals are popping up. These type of deals just don't pop up, unless they're trying to clear inventory for a new release. I'm actually interested in picking one up, but I'm waiting for that moment when the GX1 hits rock bottom prices! :tongue: I'm sure the GX2 will be great and awesome, but I'm a sucker for great deals, especially for technology that's still perfectly good! Anybody else monitoring the prices?

• Like Like x 1
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Realistically, I can't imagine them dropping much further. They're already selling the GX1 kit for less than the GF5.

I read somewhere that the US is a very very small portion of Panasonic's camera sales, which I guess explains why they don't lose too much money when they sell of their stock at huge discounts!

3. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I find the G3/GX1 combo sort of the poor man's OM-D/E-PL5 combo!

4. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    I know this has been said a million times, but I do envy you in the US, here in the EU we do not gen even half close to such deals!

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Yes, but you folks in the EU have that je ne sais quoi.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    What I also like about the GX and GF models is that they're the only M43 bodies made in Japan.

7. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Lately...

I have been taking out my GX1 (which had been on the shelf a lot lately since I got my G5) and really liking the output files. I love to take my 20mm f1.7 and GX1 and have fun especially when using the monochrome setting.

It really is a great value at the recent price drops I have seen.

Dan

8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Europeans could probably get deals like these... if they simply stopped buying until they got them. The camera makers know that a certain amount of brand-new cameras sell in the U.S. to those who must have the latest and greatest. Then sales become sluggish until the prices drop. Then sales spike.

9. sun12321

sun12321 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2010
    also, don't even think about the gx-2 will double up the spec of gx-1 ... pany only know how to modify the appearance, add some fancy functions and triple the price at the beginning and cut off 60% one year after release.

Gx-2 expected has no EVF, maybe a g5 sensor, less function buttons. if gx-1 design for man then gx-2 will be lady's cam... orz.... I guess same as those gf-2, 3, 5...

End up, gx-1 got a better photo experience.... but you have to buy it because of the sensor or maybe a better processor...

10. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I couldn't resist picking up one of these for $264 to my door. Love my OM-D, but wanted a smaller walk around body. I have the E-PL5, and the IQ and tilt screen is great, but I hate the little LCD and have to use the clip on EVF for accurate framing.

The GX-1 looked like it might work better for some things. After getting acquainted with it for a few hours Here's what I like:

- Really like the basic body shape & size (just a little slimmer than the E-PL2), and really like the grip. Feels better in my hand than any of my other µ4/3 bodies.

- Although the shutter isn't particularly quiet, it produces very little vibration. I only have lenses without VR, but can hand hold them to the same, or lower, shutter speeds than I can with the PEN IBIS.

- When shooting JPG's with Panasonic lenses CA and distortion is removed. Very noticeable with the 14/2.5 & 20/1.7.

- When shooting, the LCD can be configured to only show the f stop & shutter speed (P, A, S mode + meter for M), so there's very few distractions.

Here's the mixed bag:

- Prefer Olympus JPG processing/colors from their 16mp bodies, but is better than the Olympus 12mp bodies.

- Controls and menus are mixed bag compared to Olympus.

Not thrilled with: the rear control wheel. It's small, stiff and slippery; this makes it easy to press it in when making adjustments, which then changes its function.

11. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Currys in the UK are currently offering the GX1 body for £309 which is a very good price, kits with lens are up toward the £450 - £499 range.

I do not expect body prices to fall below the £300 mark and also expect that the take up has not been quite as Panasonic would have hoped for especially with the OMD that has converted many to Olympus.

I also think that for Panasonic to remain competitive they will have to do something fairly radical with any new GX2, possibly built in EVF?

I do know that I am really pleased with my GX1 and when paired with the 25mm f1.4 it makes a great street combo being smaller and even less conspicuous than the OMD.

Current drop in sales due to the global financial crisis is also forcing manufacturers to be competetive and this could be another reason fro price cuts where many will pair back to bare bones just to keep product moving and justify production runs (small profit on many can be better than high profit on a few).

12. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    It's quite a value isn't it! I couldn’t resist buying a third body for $274 at the beginning of the month.

Without any Olympus experience, I thought similarly after trying GX1, G3, then G5, choosing the GX1 for my m4/3 camera of choice for now.

Good points. I like the rear control wheel concept, and that +/– exposure compensation and something else are both easily adjusted with the wheel, without looking for another button. Though I also sometimes press the wheel 'in' when I don't want to, changing the wheel's function... still developing the touch here. Seems it could require a harder push to change functions, though I assume some would then complain the wheel is too stiff? I think if the wheel did not require a firm push to rotate it might change the setting too easily, which would also be a negative.

As far as the GX2... we shall all see. One of the things I preferred on the GX1 over the G3/5 was the tactile build quality and user interface of the machine; from all reports and indications the GX1 is an enthusiasts camera and to me this shows.

I don't know if the GH3 has this same good feel or not, but having used some higher-end enthusiasts cameras in the past (Contax, Leica) I really prefer and enjoy using this type of tool, even if the pictures are not necessarily better, my experience and joy os use matters too. Any GX2 should retain this feel and design focus to make it a little different and special. If there is to be a GX2, maybe it's a year or more away?

13. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Hereford, UK
    Martin Connolly
    Cameraworld had a ridiculous deal the other week which I snapped up: GX1 body plus 14-42 for £269. Turns out it was a twin-lens kit from which they had removed the 14mm, but even so it's a bargain. Looking forward to using it when it warms up a bit (I hate fiddling with gloves and cameras).

14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    B&H is showing the Silver body only as discontinued.

15. Judderman62

Judderman62 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester
    Mike
    Yep I bought the GX1 with 14-42 lens (original manual not push button zoom) on sunday from Currys for £ 309

16. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    I managed to bag a brand new GX1 body for just over £200 from someone that bought a kit to split. Not bad including the 3 year warranty.

Gave me more money to by my 3 primes….however I am seriously considering a OM-D as a backup for my Nikon system.

17. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I thought I saw a post within the news section that indicated that Panny's upcoming announcement involved only updates for the G and GF models, that led me to believe that a new GX would not be coming out soon.

Whenever the GX2 does come out I'll definately consider it as I really enjoyed my time with the GX1. I hope they add a tilt or articulating LCD and more external controls. When I upgraded to the OMD those are the two features that really made me stop using my GX1.

18. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    That will loosen up a bit with use. I used to have the same complaint, now the inadvertent function change rarely happens.

19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Just ordered a gx1 for $275 to try it out.

20. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Been watching a few on eBay. If they drop below $200 I might just bite. There have been a couple in the 220-230 range with S&H.