1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GX1's big trip to Isle of Skye, Scotland

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Al., May 24, 2013.

1. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    Here are some images from my trip to Isle of Skye in Scotland, the weather was appalling, With my trusty GX1 with either p14 or p14-45, most are panoramas, with up to 10 images stitched together (5 top,5 bottom) as its such a big place and I don't have anything wider than 14mm. But makes impresively big images, some up to 12000 pixels wide. So will print well

skye_1.
    Eileen Donan Castle on way to Skye (5 images)

Loch_Eynort_3_.
    Loch Eynort

[​IMG]
    Loch Eynort

peacock_Talisker_bay.
    Talisker Bay

talisker_bay_panorams.
    Talisker bay (6 images stitched)

Talisker_Bay_2_.
    Talisker Bay (6 images stitched)

Talisker_bay_.
    Talisker Bay

quinaig_1.
    The Quiraing (8 images stitched)

Old_man_of_storr_modified_bw_.
    The Old Man of Storr (10 images stitched)

Old_man_of_storr_4.
    The Old Man of Storr ( 8 images stitched)

Forest_3_.
    Glen Brittle forest

2. Julia

Julia Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2013
    Stuttgart, Germany
    I like the scope of "The Quiraing" best and the narrow perspective of the last image. Very nice.

Which app did you use for stitching? I've never been very successful in stitching images and have all but given up on it. Also, did you use a tripod when taking the image sets?

3. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Talisker bay is my favourite, the mist in the distance and waterfall in the forground seem to link together with the sea and interconnection between water and solid!

Great set of images that must have taken a fair amount of work in editing and stitching but the end justifies the means........thanks for sharing such a super moody set!

4. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I can't choose. They are all very well done.

5. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    Thanks for the comments, for the stitching I use photomerge in photoshop. none are taken with a tripod. On a big scene I shoot a row at the top, overlapping by about 1/3 each time, then the same number of shots for the bottom row. I always tick the box, reposition images. I find the best results to merge the top and bottom layers seperatly , then merge the top to the bottom set of images.
    On Long single row panoramas I usually merge pairs together, then merge the resulting pairs into one image, that way I get less distortion. Hope thats all clear and helps. ... I'll have to get a wider lens

6. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    Nice photos...I love it, and it makes me want to add this country to my bucket list

7. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Beautiful images and great technique to produce them.

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Great series - especially #3 for me! :smile:

9. madtownkeith

madtownkeith Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI
    Wow, beautiful shots! Would really love to visit there someday - thanks for sharing these.

Only feedback I'd have on these is to try to recover the highlights a bit more on the sky in the first two shots. May be that you already have pulled it as far as you can, so take that for what its worth.

10. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    yes, I agree about the blown out skies, one of the limits of :43: sensors, the lack of dynamic range, I must admit I cheated on the 9th shot (Old Man of Storr) and took another sky from a stock photo and duped it in.

For some of the shots I did use a grad filter, which cures the problem. but when climbing and walking with a big pack , its not practical, as its so cumbersome and needs removing to get the camera in and out of the case

11. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Great set of pictures, I was on holiday across the water from you this week on the Isle of Harris. I understand why you have got blown highlights due to weather and low clouds. I too found it challenging trying to juggle between blown highlights or a too dark an image.

12. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Beautiful images! Thanks for sharing! :smile:

13. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Beautiful set! Thank you for sharing!