GX1 with EVF for G3....?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Being a liker of new toys I'm considering trading my G3 for GX1 with EVF.

Two things that really niggle me about the G3 are the 'tiny' thumb wheel and the real killer is not having automatic switching from LCD to EVF, a button has to be pressed.

Just a thought, does the GX1 have auto switching between LCD to EVF.

Thoughts very welcome...especially from GX1 owners.
  2. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    No, the LVF2 does not have a detector to switch automatically. You have to press the button on the back. Only the G1/G2/GH1/GH2/G10 switch automatically.

Also, I can remember my G3 exactly, but I don't believe that the GX1 thumb wheel is much bigger. Certainly, the one on the GH2 is bigger.

That said, I switched from a G3 to a GX1 and haven't looked back. The GX1 with the 20mm (or 14-42mm X) is a great little jacket-pocket camera. Add on the LVF2 and it still works as a more complete package even with larger lenses (I've used the 14-140mm.) I would have liked the G3 a lot more with the GX1 grip, but the LVF's size still would have bothered me. Of course, the swivel screen was nice.
  3. eno789

eno789 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2010
    Bay Area, California
  4. sevenil

sevenil Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
    As already pointed out by eno 879 there's no switching required if you set up properly - open the screen and it's on, close the screen and the evf is on....perfecto. I wish I had a $ for every time I've read pundits decry this 'negative' of the G3 not having an eye sensor. It's un-necessary, just another bit of technology just for the sake of it.
  5. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Sounds like a first world problem to me, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
  7. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I shoot using the view finder leaving the screen open to make changes, It's then that I find pressing a button to go back and forth a real pain.

It's all rather achademic now anyway as the GX1 does not have a detector to switch automatically.
    The cameras, G3 and GX1, are 'basically' the same animal under the bonnet.

Thanks for your input, saved me a few £££££.