GX1 with 25/1.4 night images

pawzitiv

Mu-43 Regular
These images, while no compositional masterpieces, should give some idea of what the GX1 is capable of at night. All images were taken using the 25/1.4 and all were handheld with shutter speeds in the range of 1/25 sec to 1/60sec.

20111217GX1P1000136-LR-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

GX1+25/1.4; f/2; 1/50sec; ISO1600

20111217GX1P1000152-LR-X2.jpg

GX1+25/1.4; f/2.2; 1/50sec; ISO1600

20111217GX1P1000171-LR-X2.jpg

GX1+25/1.4; f/2; 1/25sec; ISO1600

20111217GX1P1000145-LR-X2.jpg

GX1+25/1.4; f/2; 1/30sec; ISO1600

20111217GX1P1000154-LR-X2.jpg

GX1+25/1.4; f/2; 1/60sec; ISO400

20111217GX1P1000169-LR-X2.jpg

Incidentally, the 25/1.4 lens shows very little CA around specular highlights .. very impressive performance.

Livnius

Super Moderator
Real Name
Joe
Thanks Arie.

These GX1 posts, in particular when combined with the PL25....are of great interest to me and are much appreciated.

In barely a week I'll be just down the road from Samys Cameras in Santa Ana kicking off my trip to The US & Canada and based on what I am seen here, it will take some discipline to resist the temptation to pick up the body only option.

For mine, I think that particular body-lens combination is showing impressive low light output.

ibcj

Mu-43 Regular
Great example of what this lens can do in the right hands. Kicking myself for not pulling the trigger a few weeks ago.

pawzitiv

Mu-43 Regular
Glad to hear all who viewed the images are as impressed with the PL 25/1.4 lens as I am. Yes, $600 is a lot of money for the µ43 equivalent of a "fast fifty" but, if you feel you need or want one, the PL 25/1.4 is the only option available.

0dBm

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In barely a week I'll be just down the road from Samys Cameras in Santa Ana...
I was just there two days ago and spotted the GX1. I briefly operated it with the kit lens.

It took ALL of my self control to NOT buy it considering that it was one of the items that was on the "no tax" list when purchased this weekend. I have a no-interest account with Samy's as well.

No tax, no interest, and seeing Arie's images is just too much to resist, but I did. The 4th of July, 2012 seems like a good time to acquire the GX1.

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Interesting how the change in body style has created interest and recognition of the IQ improvements of the G3 ...

pawzitiv

Mu-43 Regular
tc,

I guess the G3 is like Rodney Dangerfield .. "I don't get no respect". Both the G3 and GX1 are equally impressive .. I don't get it either.

timallenphoto

Mu-43 Veteran
pawzitiv said:
These images, while no compositional masterpieces, should give some idea of what the GX1 is capable of at night. All images were taken using the 25/1.4 and all were handheld with shutter speeds in the range of 1/25 sec to 1/60sec.

GX1+25/1.4; f/2.2; 1/50sec; ISO1600

GX1+25/1.4; f/2; 1/25sec; ISO1600

GX1+25/1.4; f/2; 1/30sec; ISO1600

GX1+25/1.4; f/2; 1/60sec; ISO400

Incidentally, the 25/1.4 lens shows very little CA around specular highlights .. very impressive performance.

Very impressive, would you be able to put a couple of these online as the full size original files? Would be interested in taking a close up look at the files. Were these jpegs or raw? Many thanks in advance.

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Is it GX1 or PL25 1.4 which shines here? I think if u mount that lens even on G3/EPL3/P3 , u will get the same result. ANyway its makes me again drool over PL 25 ..hahaha

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
tc,

I guess the G3 is like Rodney Dangerfield .. "I don't get no respect". Both the G3 and GX1 are equally impressive .. I don't get it either.

Great photos!

IMO, the G3 is perceived by some as the GF2/3 when compared to the GF1. Other than giving it a nicer sensor and faster AF, Pany dumbed it down from prior G models - less direct controls, no EVF/LCD switch sensor, smaller grip. I had the G3 myself for about 3 days, but just couldn't make myself like it.

Objectively speaking though, the G3 is a bargain especially when compared to the GX1 now. Built-in EVF, articulated LCD, same sensor, but much cheaper! I may have to do a take two on the G3.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Objectively speaking though, the G3 is a bargain especially when compared to the GX1 now. Built-in EVF, articulated LCD, same sensor, but much cheaper! I may have to do a take two on the G3.

Funny, I'm having an almost identical reaction. Sometime later this winter or early next spring I'm going to want a second m43 body. I'm much more drawn to the Oly bodies for a number of reasons and the EPL3 is my body of choice, largely because of its flip out screen (otherwise, it would probably be the EP3). The GX1 had me thinking of going with Pany for the second body because it does appear to be about a stop better in really low light and that's a pretty critical stop in those situations. And probably closer to two stops better then the GF1 I used to have. But that led me to start thinking about the G3...

I'm not drawn to cameras with built in EVFs for the most part. I had a GH2 for a while and never really liked it despite its great capabilities. I sold it and moved to Olympus for my single m43 body as soon as the new Pens were announced. But, as a SECOND m43 body, one to carry when you have your whole bag of gear, always at the ready with a second lens, and for specialized applications, I'm thinking I wouldn't mind the G3. If it was a primary camera, I'd no doubt pick the GX1 first if I preferred Pany to Oly generally. But as a second body, I don't think the rear extension of the EVF would bother me as much as it would on a primary camera. And considering that a G3 body goes for between $100 and $200 less than the GX1 and wouldn't need a separate EVF, I can see it. It appears they're both pretty useable at 3200, even more than the GH2, which I don't quite understand.

So who knows - maybe the GX1 will lead me to the G3, which I've never had even a remote interest in. As a first camera, I'd actively stay away from the G3 (and did), but as a second body, it could make a lot of sense. I wouldn't have to actually bond with it like I would the primary camera - I'd just use it for specific purposes...

But, I'll have to see what Fuji's ILC system looks like and if anything else pops on the m43 front over the next couple of months. And by February or March, the G3 will likely be even less expensive...

-Ray

gfspencer

Mu-43 Regular
You won't get an argument from me. The G3 is a bargain. However, I wanted the smaller body, I didn't need an articulated LCD, and I really wanted the level line indicator, so I ordered a GX-1. And I think the GX-1 will be a step up from my GF-1.

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
You won't get an argument from me. The G2 is a bargain. However, I wanted the smaller body, I didn't need an articulated LCD, and I really wanted the level line indicator, so I ordered a GX-1. And I think the GX-1 will be a step up from my GF-1.

I hear y'a! In spite of my reservations about paying a premium, I'm still clammoring for a GX1. That, and a GXR. And a Nikon V1. :smile:

pawzitiv

Mu-43 Regular
Very impressive, would you be able to put a couple of these online as the full size original files? Would be interested in taking a close up look at the files. Were these jpegs or raw? Many thanks in advance.

Not to be difficult but rather than posting the full size originals here, please go to the link in my signature line. There's a pop-out menu in the upper right of each image in my :43: gallery allowing you to view the full size original.

I always shoot RAW and these images are JPEGs post-processed to my taste.

Hope this helps.

pawzitiv

Mu-43 Regular
Is it GX1 or PL25 1.4 which shines here? I think if u mount that lens even on G3/EPL3/P3 , u will get the same result. ANyway its makes me again drool over PL 25 ..hahaha

Can't disagree that the PL 25 is a terrific low light lens but it won't diminish high ISO noise. That's strictly up to the each camera's sensor S/N ratio.

Latest threads

Top Bottom