GX1 w/ kit PZ or body + 20mm

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by sirmarcel, Dec 11, 2012.

1. sirmarcel

sirmarcel New to Mu-43

Dec 11, 2012
    Hey there,

so, after some slightly obsessive research I have more or less decided on the GX1 as my new camera, stepping up from point & shoot and iPhone photos. I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to shoot, I'd guess it's going to be about half random snapshots in my day-to-day and half landscape photos on holiday. There's a bit of a need for small size and portability on my side, this is a camera I want to carry around most of the time and not worry about size/weight.

So, the question now boils down to:

Get the GX1 body with the kit 14-42mm PZ lens (~600-700€) and maybe the Panasonic 14mm prime (~200€)

or

Get the GX1 body standalone (~400-500€) with the (ridiculously highly regarded) Panasonic 20mm (~300 €) thrown in?

I'd be very grateful for some pointers in the right direction. If you think that this is a stupid kit for a beginner, please say so. Maybe I'm going down the entirely wrong path?

/edit: Completely forgot to mention budget: 800€ with a tiny bit of wiggle room.

2. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    Hi There,
    First off, I am by no means an expert... but I was in your very same shoes a few months ago. I was coming from taking pics on my point and shoot as well as my iphone. Then got a GX-1 to achieve better pictures. After a few months, I decided I wanted to get a prime lense and decided on the 20mm f1.7. I never tested out the 14mm but I did read a comparison I found on this link that helped me make my decision. In the end, both lenses were both rated well but I figured if I was going to spend good money on a lense, I would spend it on the one with better reviews. I've had the lense for about 2 weeks now and have not been disappointed. Which ever way you go, I'm sure you'll be pleased. Specially if youre coming from point and shoots photo's like I did. Good luck with your decision!

3. apbtlvr

apbtlvr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    NoVa
    Rick
    My initial µ43 kit consisted of a GX1 body, 20mm f/1.7 and 14mm f/2.5 primes. It provides light weight & great image quality in 2 widely used and versatile focal lengths. I've had no regrets whatsoever with this choice.

4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I've had my 20mm f/1.7 since I bought my GF1. It has since moved to my GX1. I have also added the 14-42mm X (PZ). So, I guess that you could say that I'm well versed in your choices.

Let me start by saying that if someone asked me for a compact travel kit to supplement a larger working system, I'd recommend those three (body + 20mm +14-42mm X.) You don't get much smaller without going to the lesser GF5 and 14mm. The 20mm gives you a very nice low-light option, but it lacks flexibility and has relatively slow AF. The 14-42mm X adds flexibility and faster AF, but lacks the low-light capability and sacrifices a bit in IQ (I'm not as critical of it as some.) They complement each other well. If I need low light, top IQ and/or shallow DOF, I go with the 20mm; if I am walking around on a sunny day, I'm grabbing the 14-42mm.

If you have to choose one, the usage is pretty important. For me, shooting my daughter around the house as she learns to roll -> crawl -> walk, the 20mm has all but lived on my camera. I wish it were a little longer (25mm) and that the AF were better, but it's still a favorite.

I would say that used prices on 20mm's tend to be higher than the 14-42mm X, so if it costs the same or less, grab the 20mm now, then pick up the 14-42mm X when a deal pops up.

5. sirmarcel

sirmarcel New to Mu-43

Dec 11, 2012
    Thank you all for your tips– I went with the kit zoom and the 20mm, we'll see how that turns out. Is it Christmas yet? ;) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.