GX1 w/ kit PZ or body + 20mm

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by sirmarcel, Dec 11, 2012.

1. sirmarcel

sirmarcel New to Mu-43

Dec 11, 2012
    Hey there,

so, after some slightly obsessive research I have more or less decided on the GX1 as my new camera, stepping up from point & shoot and iPhone photos. I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to shoot, I'd guess it's going to be about half random snapshots in my day-to-day and half landscape photos on holiday. There's a bit of a need for small size and portability on my side, this is a camera I want to carry around most of the time and not worry about size/weight.

So, the question now boils down to:

Get the GX1 body with the kit 14-42mm PZ lens (~600-700€) and maybe the Panasonic 14mm prime (~200€)

Get the GX1 body standalone (~400-500€) with the (ridiculously highly regarded) Panasonic 20mm (~300 €) thrown in?

I'd be very grateful for some pointers in the right direction. If you think that this is a stupid kit for a beginner, please say so. Maybe I'm going down the entirely wrong path?

/edit: Completely forgot to mention budget: 800€ with a tiny bit of wiggle room.
  2. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    Hi There,
    First off, I am by no means an expert... but I was in your very same shoes a few months ago. I was coming from taking pics on my point and shoot as well as my iphone. Then got a GX-1 to achieve better pictures. After a few months, I decided I wanted to get a prime lense and decided on the 20mm f1.7. I never tested out the 14mm but I did read a comparison I found on this link that helped me make my decision. In the end, both lenses were both rated well but I figured if I was going to spend good money on a lense, I would spend it on the one with better reviews. I've had the lense for about 2 weeks now and have not been disappointed. Which ever way you go, I'm sure you'll be pleased. Specially if youre coming from point and shoots photo's like I did. Good luck with your decision!
  3. apbtlvr

apbtlvr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    My initial µ43 kit consisted of a GX1 body, 20mm f/1.7 and 14mm f/2.5 primes. It provides light weight & great image quality in 2 widely used and versatile focal lengths. I've had no regrets whatsoever with this choice.
  4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I've had my 20mm f/1.7 since I bought my GF1. It has since moved to my GX1. I have also added the 14-42mm X (PZ). So, I guess that you could say that I'm well versed in your choices.

Let me start by saying that if someone asked me for a compact travel kit to supplement a larger working system, I'd recommend those three (body + 20mm +14-42mm X.) You don't get much smaller without going to the lesser GF5 and 14mm. The 20mm gives you a very nice low-light option, but it lacks flexibility and has relatively slow AF. The 14-42mm X adds flexibility and faster AF, but lacks the low-light capability and sacrifices a bit in IQ (I'm not as critical of it as some.) They complement each other well. If I need low light, top IQ and/or shallow DOF, I go with the 20mm; if I am walking around on a sunny day, I'm grabbing the 14-42mm.

If you have to choose one, the usage is pretty important. For me, shooting my daughter around the house as she learns to roll -> crawl -> walk, the 20mm has all but lived on my camera. I wish it were a little longer (25mm) and that the AF were better, but it's still a favorite.

I would say that used prices on 20mm's tend to be higher than the 14-42mm X, so if it costs the same or less, grab the 20mm now, then pick up the 14-42mm X when a deal pops up.
  5. sirmarcel

sirmarcel New to Mu-43

Dec 11, 2012
    Thank you all for your tips– I went with the kit zoom and the 20mm, we'll see how that turns out. Is it Christmas yet? ;)