GX1 vs.. eh, what?

Kroisos

New to Mu-43
Hello m43 friends!

I've been in the business of updating my GX1 for years, but I still cannot see a clear upgrade option with a reasonable price tag. I carry my GX1 around almost everywhere I go with Lumix 1:2,5 14mm and the package is very robust + small ..and the pictures are, at least for me quite sharp. I also have a GX8, but despite all upsides (wifi, OVF + 20mp sensor) I still grab the GX1 going out.

Anyone found a good (ultra compact, bullet-proof) option to retire the "little m43 body than could"?

Cheers!

palombasso

Mu-43 Veteran
My better than smartphone/smaller serious camera for walking around with the kids is a GM1 (with the small metal grip).

For your situation I'd probably look at GM1, GM5, GX800, GF7 or models like that. Don't know about olympus models.

But actually take a look at what feature you hope to gain.

I'm just now upgrading my gx7 to a gx9 mostly for the sensor, better Ibis and same body (had a G85 but sold it as I prefer the smaller cameras).

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hi!

The 14 lens is really great!

It works good on Olympus bodies also if you go that path. But that would mean another menu system so it is not something you do just like that.

Bob T

Mu-43 Veteran
Like you I have both a GX8 and GX1, (plus a couple others), and often took the GX1 with me.
That is, until I got a GX85 in a trade last year. It has become my go to, everyday camera.
About the same size, but with a viewfinder, tilt screen, and very good IBIS...

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
Everyone I hear states the jpeg engine is much better now. I didn't perceive many issues with the GX1 but jpeg accuracy and 4k are the big features now. I saw little shutter shock so that wasn't a factor for me. I've a GX8 now too, but I need more time shooting far more than a new body - a GX1 and more time would yield better images I suspect.

Kroisos

New to Mu-43
Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

My better than smartphone/smaller serious camera for walking around with the kids is a GM1 (with the small metal grip).
But actually take a look at what feature you hope to gain.

Yeah, Palombasso, I also have that/a metal thumb grip attached to the flash hot shoe. The grip and handling is so much better with it.

Ideally, I would have the same size camera with magnesium-alloy frame, the 20mp sensor, pop-up flash, wifi and physical dial for exposure on top (the thumb wheel with GX1 is a little numb) + USB-C charging, no tilt-screens (less to break, takes more space), HD video would suffice.

Hi!

The 14 lens is really great!

It works good on Olympus bodies also if you go that path. But that would mean another menu system so it is not something you do just like that.

I really like the 14 too. Hmm.. maybe Oly EPL-9? Its almost exactly the same size.

Like you I have both a GX8 and GX1, (plus a couple others), and often took the GX1 with me.
That is, until I got a GX85 in a trade last year. It has become my go to, everyday camera.
About the same size, but with a viewfinder, tilt screen, and very good IBIS...

Ok, I hear you. In terms of size the GX85 seems to sit between GX1 and GX8. There's 1/3 more weight and that protruding EVF though. Release date was back in 2016 ..hmm.. if we were talking about smartphones, it would be ancient, but to put things in perspective then again I am struggling to find a replacement for a 10-year-old camera.

..but preference in practice weighs more than numbers. I'll keep my eyes peeled for one. Thanks!

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
Not to drive you out of m43, but would a Ricoh GR ii or iii work for you? Same field of view you are getting with your 14mm lens, no tilt screen, pop-up flash in the ii (not new iii) and an overall glowing reviews.

palombasso

Mu-43 Veteran
Yeah, Palombasso, I also have that/a metal thumb grip attached to the flash hot shoe. The grip and handling is so much better with it.
Actually I tried one like yours on my gx7 but didn't like it.

On the GM1 (which does not have a hotshoe by the way) I use the official (i think) grip which screws on the tripod hole and gives some height and a metal piece at the front. Came with it when I got it used.

Makes it possible to hold it more like a camera and less like a point and shoot and handles well even it a superzoom like the 14-140ii

Attachments

• IMG_20201019_212934.jpg
    IMG_20201019_212934.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 230

Kroisos

New to Mu-43
Not to drive you out of m43, but would a Ricoh GR ii or iii work for you? Same field of view you are getting with your 14mm lens, no tilt screen, pop-up flash in the ii (not new iii) and an overall glowing reviews.

Yeah, I've considered Ricoh, but didn't mention it because of thread policy. I also placed an order for Fuji XF10 (also aps-c, 24mp) from E-Infinity Camera Store, but they messed things up and I backed out to square one.

Real Name
Andrew L
I know the purpose of this thread is to compare M4/3 cameras, but... You've been using your GX1 as a GR for a long time. I think you'd be happy with the "real" thing.

If you want to stick with M4/3, I'd recommend a GM1 or GM5 if you want to stay small. They're good 16mp sensors with very crisp RAW files, no shutter shock whatsoever (could be bad on the GX1, that shutter is like a hammer) and really nothing not to like. I tested my GX85 for sharpness of the newer AA-filterless sensor unit, there was a difference when you really pixel peeped, but the GM5 produced a lot of sharp photos for me with good latitude in editing.

But... a GR, it'll change your life :p

Note: I'm totally a M4/3 evangelist. I think they're the best generalist camera system out there. But, right tool for the right job. If you're using the camera like a fixed lens camera, consider a fixed lens camera. If you want a small, pocketable 28mm equivalent, the GR is king. The XF10 is inferior in user interface and speed of operation, but also cheap and has tons of IQ. The Nikon A is another option, I guess, though it's long in the tooth now.

Kroisos

New to Mu-43
You've been using your GX1 as a GR for a long time.

This might be accurately diagnosed. It just makes me wonder why there are no a real challengers in this niche. Btw, the XF10 was supposed to be only 300€ (new) so I thought it was a value deal (hoping the latest firmware did something to the infamous autofocus issues..).

But yeah, GM5 is definitely now on my radar too. Thank you for your insight!

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Claude
For my part I use my GM5 pretty much for the same purpose as you are mentioning, but with the Oly 17-2.8, which is approximately the same size as the Pana 14-2.5 - just somewhat narrower.
I think it is quite adequate for the job and I would recommend it - except that these little beauties are often way overpriced on the market.

GM5__O17 200724_0450_lr.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hello m43 friends!

I've been in the business of updating my GX1 for years, but I still cannot see a clear upgrade option with a reasonable price tag. I carry my GX1 around almost everywhere I go with Lumix 1:2,5 14mm and the package is very robust + small ..and the pictures are, at least for me quite sharp. I also have a GX8, but despite all upsides (wifi, OVF + 20mp sensor) I still grab the GX1 going out.

Anyone found a good (ultra compact, bullet-proof) option to retire the "little m43 body than could"?

Cheers!

Honestly, if you like the form factor of the GX1 so much so that you use it instead of the GX8 why bother with something different? Maybe sell the GX8 and buy a few spare GX1s. :)

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Everyone I hear states the jpeg engine is much better now.

I always kind of joke about that. Every year Oly and Panny release new models and every time there is always some mention of improved sensor, improved ISO, improved JPG engine, less noise, etc. And well they have been saying this for 20 years now. So you would think with all those improvements every single year, the photos you take now would be night & day when compared to photos taken on cameras from years ago. Well, under normal shooting conditioned at normal viewing sizes, most of us would be hard pressed to pick out the clearly better photo in a blind test. My joke is that by now shouldn't our digital photos be spinning in 3D space in front of our eyes with how much people gush about the improvements from one camera to the next? :rolleyes:

Real Name
Andrew L
Panasonic used to have real problems with their JPEG colors, it meant that even when editing RAWs, the starting point in LR was really ugly. Their colors improved very gradually until the GX85, that camera had vastly better out of camera looks. Night and day. The GX9 and G9 improve even on that. GX9 files look great. The below are in-camera conversions from the GX9.

2020-10-20_08-59-19.jpg

2020-10-20_08-59-05.jpg

sciomako

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
John
I have GX1, GM5 and GX85.

GM5 even with a grip attachment won’t handle like GX1. I love GM5’s miniature-ism, but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

GX85 is heavier, but it gives you IBIS and EVF. Its grip is shallower than GX1’s and doesn’t have that rubber coating. Getting a JJP grip helps if you mount bigger lens onto it.

If I were you, I would try to future-prove it a bit and consider Fuji 24mp ASP-C. (The future of the m43 mount is very uncertain.) A Fuji X-E3 + 27/2.8 pancake is quite close to GX1 + 14/2.5 in size.

size comparison: https://j.mp/2TjBs7g

p.s. I dunno. These days I use my iPhone’s cameras way more than my Panny’s. Maybe a new smartphone is the answer?

Shadetree

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Butch Oakey
I have GX1, GM5 and GX85.

GM5 even with a grip attachment won’t handle like GX1. I love GM5’s miniature-ism, but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

GX85 is heavier, but it gives you IBIS and EVF. Its grip is shallower than GX1’s and doesn’t have that rubber coating. Getting a JJP grip helps if you mount bigger lens onto it.

If I were you, I would try to future-prove it a bit and consider Fuji 24mp ASP-C. (The future of the m43 mount is very uncertain.) A Fuji X-E3 + 27/2.8 pancake is quite close to GX1 + 14/2.5 in size.

size comparison: https://j.mp/2TjBs7g

p.s. I dunno. These days I use my iPhone’s cameras way more than my Panny’s. Maybe a new smartphone is the answer?
A GX7 has an even nicer grip an works well with the Lumix 12-60mm and the Olympus 12-40mm

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've been surveilling recently this range of cameras. Initially I was looking for a GM5 but as they are no longer produced, the 2nd hand asked price has sky rocketed to insane levels. I considered the GX80/85 too, but compared to the GX9, the little additions of the latter, while probably not enough for someone already owning the former to change, are sufficient to strongly plead in favour of splurging the price difference. I pair it with the 14/2.5 for street shooting, and it's a great camera.

hannahntilly

Mu-43 Regular
I've got a GX1 and GX85. The GX85 is far better technically but my main gripe is the weight and it feels very front heavy even with a pancake lens. My G85 feels lovely but is too big for a jacket pocket.
I had an XF10 but had to return it twice under warranty for dust spots on the sensor so I've now given it up. Beware of similar problems with the Ricoh and other fixed-lens cameras.

sciomako

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
John
My joke is that by now shouldn't our digital photos be spinning in 3D space in front of our eyes with how much people gush about the improvements from one camera to the next? :rolleyes:

It pretty much has improved to what you said. But the innovations mostly happen on smartphones. :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom