GX1 vs.. eh, what?

Kroisos

New to Mu-43
I found some instant relief from bumping into a customer-return-new GX800 (with kit lens) for a confusingly little 139€. It is absolutely T-I-N-Y: about the same step down as that X-E3 => GX1. It has USB-charging, wifi, and a even a miniature flash- money!

Downsides / doubts: There is no grip what so ever + no hot shoe => cannot use the thumb grip either. It doesn't have many physical knobs nor levers either, but maybe this can be compensated with programmable function keys. It's border line plasticky-icky, but definitely good build quality for the price or even double. We'll see how it handles..

I have GX1, GM5 and GX85.

GM5 even with a grip attachment won’t handle like GX1. I love GM5’s miniature-ism, but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

GX85 is heavier, but it gives you IBIS and EVF. Its grip is shallower than GX1’s and doesn’t have that rubber coating. Getting a JJP grip helps if you mount bigger lens onto it.

If I were you, I would try to future-prove it a bit and consider Fuji 24mp ASP-C. (The future of the m43 mount is very uncertain.) A Fuji X-E3 + 27/2.8 pancake is quite close to GX1 + 14/2.5 in size.

size comparison: https://j.mp/2TjBs7g

p.s. I dunno. These days I use my iPhone’s cameras way more than my Panny’s. Maybe a new smartphone is the answer?
Yeah, thanks for the tip! I've been looking at Fujis too, but they seem a little pricey as a whole so I pulled a trigger on a used 16mm Sony lens. If it gives promising results with old nex3, I might try to find an A6x00. There seems to be a lot of dead stock and pre-loved, but barely used units in circulation.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
I always kind of joke about that. Every year Oly and Panny release new models and every time there is always some mention of improved sensor, improved ISO, improved JPG engine, less noise, etc. And well they have been saying this for 20 years now. So you would think with all those improvements every single year, the photos you take now would be night & day when compared to photos taken on cameras from years ago. Well, under normal shooting conditioned at normal viewing sizes, most of us would be hard pressed to pick out the clearly better photo in a blind test. My joke is that by now shouldn't our digital photos be spinning in 3D space in front of our eyes with how much people gush about the improvements from one camera to the next? :rolleyes:
Patrick, when I compare my E-1 with my E-M1 MkII, that is pretty much what I do see ... ;) .

Real Name
Roddy
The future of the m43 mount is very uncertain.
What? Unless humanity kills itself we will be buying m4/3 bodies and lenses for years to come yet. In fact, if you like m4/3 then why not buy a few spare new bodies now, together with some batteries, and put them away in a cupboard somewhere. In 30 years time when people will be taking photos with a sensor-embedded finger, or holographic spectacles or something, you'll still be able to go 'click' :). I daydream about a cupboard-shelf stocked with white and black boxes, some containing not just camera bodies but also copies of lenses I like already, together with a bulk box or two of batteries.

And I bet along the same lines there are some here stockpiling film and chemicals for the days when the world really has ended. Digital will be useless then.....

MiguelATF

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Hello m43 friends!

I've been in the business of updating my GX1 for years, but I still cannot see a clear upgrade option with a reasonable price tag. I carry my GX1 around almost everywhere I go with Lumix 1:2,5 14mm and the package is very robust + small ..and the pictures are, at least for me quite sharp. I also have a GX8, but despite all upsides (wifi, OVF + 20mp sensor) I still grab the GX1 going out.

Anyone found a good (ultra compact, bullet-proof) option to retire the "little m43 body than could"?

Cheers!
I still have my GX1 and still rather love it - the tiny size, the form factor, the quality. However unlike you, I did upgrade to a GX8 and quite like it...except, definitely, it's sooo much larger than the GX1.

My only other (somewhat radical) suggestion - would be to consider getting a Pen F body. Compared to the GX8 - and even to the so-cool earlier GX7, the Pen F feels almost svelte. It's still not as compact as your GX1 package - but when you pair the Pen F with a tiny prime (I'm currently using the PanaLeica 15mm), it's a camera which I often wind up reaching for, since it's so much fun to shoot with. (Obviously, Olympuses and Lumixes don't handle the same - so if you don't feel comfortable shooting with both systems, the Pen F isn't a great idea.)

Real Name
Butch Oakey
I still have my GX1 and still rather love it - the tiny size, the form factor, the quality. However unlike you, I did upgrade to a GX8 and quite like it...except, definitely, it's sooo much larger than the GX1.

My only other (somewhat radical) suggestion - would be to consider getting a Pen F body. Compared to the GX8 - and even to the so-cool earlier GX7, the Pen F feels almost svelte. It's still not as compact as your GX1 package - but when you pair the Pen F with a tiny prime (I'm currently using the PanaLeica 15mm), it's a camera which I often wind up reaching for, since it's so much fun to shoot with. (Obviously, Olympuses and Lumixes don't handle the same - so if you don't feel comfortable shooting with both systems, the Pen F isn't a great idea.)
I agree. Had a GX1 once upon a time and, like a dummy, sold it when the GX7 arrived at my house. Got a Pen F and what a great camera! And still have the GX7 and it still takes great pictures when I do my part. Just got the 15/1.7 and it looks promising on the GX7 and the Pen F is usually paired with the 17/1.8.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I found some instant relief from bumping into a customer-return-new GX800 (with kit lens) for a confusingly little 139€. It is absolutely T-I-N-Y: about the same step down as that X-E3 => GX1. It has USB-charging, wifi, and a even a miniature flash- money!

Downsides / doubts: There is no grip what so ever + no hot shoe => cannot use the thumb grip either. It doesn't have many physical knobs nor levers either, but maybe this can be compensated with programmable function keys. It's border line plasticky-icky, but definitely good build quality for the price or even double. We'll see how it handles..

Yeah, thanks for the tip! I've been looking at Fujis too, but they seem a little pricey as a whole so I pulled a trigger on a used 16mm Sony lens. If it gives promising results with old nex3, I might try to find an A6x00. There seems to be a lot of dead stock and pre-loved, but barely used units in circulation.
I don't know if this works, but for my GM5 i got an after-market grip for the Sony DSC-RX100, it is a bit of rubber (?) that is fastened to the front of the camera with double sided tape. It is moulded to the camera on the edge so if the GX800 is wider it might not fit. But the price was right only 150SEK (15€), so might be worth a try. It is a tiny grip and only gives me place for 2 fingers, but it works for me on the GM5.

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Claude
I don't know if this works, but for my GM5 i got an after-market grip for the Sony DSC-RX100, it is a bit of rubber (?) that is fastened to the front of the camera with double sided tape. It is moulded to the camera on the edge so if the GX800 is wider it might not fit. But the price was right only 150SEK (15€), so might be worth a try. It is a tiny grip and only gives me place for 2 fingers, but it works for me on the GM5.
I also bought my GM5 with a Sony grip already in place. Probably similar to yours. We can see "Sony" written on it (on the lower right part of the grip).
It surely improves a lot for the handling of the camera.

GM5_O17 200701_8269(crop).jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I have had my GX80 for about 4 years from new. Fitted a long thumb grip and a JJC body grip. I have borrowed and used a GX9 and G9. Finding that it was easier to take photos with the G9, viewfinder and controls. However the improvements of the photos taken were negligible. Unfortunately. So with a collection of 13 lenses, 3 of which I do not use, and probably a 4th redundant lens. I am a happy photographer. Most used lens is probably my only Olympus, a 60mm macro that I really find useful. Well, I shall see what 2021 will bring.

Real Name
Deryck
The walk around camera is the primary reason I bought into mu43

I bought an e-PM1, stopped using it when I got my e-M10, thought I didn't need it when I sold both to get an e-M1.
I then realised I missed the little "large pocket" camera and have happily used a LX100 for the past 2 years.
However I am now considering a Xiaomi Note 10 to replace it.

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
Have thought about doing that with my GX7 but wonder what all the options are - are there a lot of varieties?
There are several- I chose the "standard/normal" one. I wanted to use it for B&W, not interested in the color options. They seemed to discourage the B&W filter choice, so I went with the standard they suggested. Given my experience, I'd rather have chosen the B&W one. I do get B&W jpegs (choosing jpeg+RAW), and can fairly easily convert the RAW to B&W as wanted. I am otherwise pleased with their service and the result.
I had previously used a normal sensor and the IR filter, but that always needed a tripod due to the long exposures. You might try that route if you want to see if you'd like to do a full conversion.

https://www.lifepixel.com/infrared-filters-choices

Real Name
Butch Oakey
The walk around camera is the primary reason I bought into mu43

I bought an e-PM1, stopped using it when I got my e-M10, thought I didn't need it when I sold both to get an e-M1.
I then realised I missed the little "large pocket" camera and have happily used a LX100 for the past 2 years.
However I am now considering a Xiaomi Note 10 to replace it.
The LX100 is a great camera and sure regret selling mine. They have a nice Leica lens and lots of good shooting options in an almost pocketable size.

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
Went the other way, and have just closed a deal on a what seems to be a little used GX1 with the 14-42 pancake zoom and a nice but dusty Manfrotto bag. All inn at about $110 bucks. Plan is to use it for a trotting about camera, I already have quite a few of the tiny primes to pick from and have been thinking about picking up something properly small to match with those, a worst case scenario I can probably hock it for about twice of what I paid, by selling camera and lens separately, and still get to keep the bag. :O

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
I had a GX1, liked it quite a bit but found I had to use the eyelevel finder in the hotshoe to see well through it. Gave it to my grandson when I replaced it with a GX7. Eventually replaced the GX7 with a pair of GX85's.

They work well for me.

z

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
I also reverted to a gx1 after looking over newer options. Love the gx85 but prefer the size and simplicity of the original gx, and tight $ was also a factor. My eM1.ii now stands alone for top-line specs, and the gx1 can capably do anything with a lower profile.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom