GX1 vs a $4000 Sony pro camcorder

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Steven, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I was at a concert a few days ago and noticed a guy in the corner with a big pro looking camera on a monopod. I didn't think much of it as I took a few snaps and clips with my lowly GX1 + 20mm/1.7. Today I came across what must be the footage taken with that pro camera and I have to say the GX1 compares very favorably IMHO. What do you think?

GX1 + 20mm/1.7 in teleconverter mode (doubling focal length by cropping sensor)
    Into Another - Running into Walls, Live in Brooklyn 2013 - YouTube

This is the Sony cam used according to the comments. Sony HVR-Z5U Professional HDV Camcorder Sony HVR-Z5U Professional HDV Camcorder HVR-Z5U B&H Photo Video

Same footage on the Sony:

Into Another - May I / Running Into Walls (Saint Vitus 2013) - YouTube

I think I even prefer the sound out of the GX1's internal mic .
  2. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Yeah, but you get focus peaking and $50 off Adobe Premiere Elements 11 if you buy the Sony.
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
  4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
  5. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    did you try hacking your gx1 yet? for better quality
  6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    No. What advantages does that give? Last I checked it didn't give any extra exposure controls , right?
  7. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    I don't know if I'd really compare the sound since you 2 were in totally different positions in the crowd. The sound isn't going to be the same and I don't think they had it set up that well to begin with because there were parts where I could just bare hear him singing. But the video was pretty good on the GX1. Impressive. Just my 2 cents.
  8. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    the gx1 footage looks better. colors were all too weird and saturated with the other one.
  9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    The guy with video camera wasn't that far away from me. Maybe 3-5 feet off to the left. He climbed on top of some furniture. It was a smallish venue. Maybe he did some post production on the sound to eliminate crowd noise that didn't turn out too well.
  10. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    no that price includes the 20x zoom lens... and a very good one at that.....ooops sorry... you were referring to the VG900

plus a whole bunch of stuff that pros demand like built in ND filters, and audio XLR connectors.

It also has three sensors - one each for red green and blue.

I have and have used the predecessor to this model the Z1 and it is a very fine camera. Back 5 years ago it was one of the few lower cost cameras that the BBC approved for broadcast work.

Still your GX1 did a fine job

11. sammaritan12

sammaritan12 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2012
    I think that one of the reasons many buy the pro camera is not just because of image quality but because of the workflow.
    You can change settings easier rather than fiddling with on camera settings. You can get stabler footage because of the heavy weight (I don't know whether the stabilisation can counteract this though). You get more ports and options on the pro one. You also can get a better codec (MPEG-2 instead of AVCHD) for your editor.
    Pros don't necessarily buy their camera on image quality.

But for everyone else there are these cameras. Also the VG900 is for consumers not pros and while full frame is better more lenses are available for Super 35mm sensors (similar to APS-C).
  12. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Ah it looked like he was at the far left side and you were somewhat middle right side.