GX1 viewfinder options?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by phil_gx1, Apr 23, 2012.

1. phil_gx1

phil_gx1 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 19, 2012
    Are there any reasonable options for a GX1 viewfinder other than Panasonic's LVF2 which runs about $230?
  2. Sawfish

Sawfish Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    It is the only EVF which can be used on a GX1. I think it is well worth the investment and I am going get one myself, as it is a pain to focus legacy glass outdoors with the LCD.
    There may be OVF witch fit in the hot shoe, but I don’t suppose you were asking about these.

3. retroglide

retroglide Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    I bought the EVF for my GX1 to use with the 100-300 lens and it works great. A thumbs up purchase for me.
  4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I also have the LVF2 and it is great and is a world apart from the previous LVF1.

Well worth the money on a bright sunny day and I would not go out without it.
  5. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    I'm going to miss a viewfinder in a couple of weeks when I go back to my hometown in Spain, but that will encourage me even more to save up for it for future trips...
  6. phil_gx1

phil_gx1 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 19, 2012
    I think I understand how the EVF works but I'm honestly not sure how an EVF differs.
  7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    I'll add my voice to the chorus here, the new LVF2 which goes with the GX1 is a massive improvement over the LVF1....worlds apart and if you plan on purchasing the GX1 or have one already and haven't got the viewfinder...do it. It really is excellent. About the only gripe I have with it is i would have liked a slightly larger eyecup....not too sure if these can be replaced, I doubt it though.
  8. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I would never use it but would love to look thru it just once....

Phil, I'm an old guy, so could you explain your question so I can understand it better?
    Thanks my friend..... Don
  9. phil_gx1

phil_gx1 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 19, 2012
    I meant to say that I wasn't sure how on OVF differs from an EVF.
    BTW, I'm no youngster either!
  10. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    An EVF sees what the sensor sees. It can also show camera info or not.
    An OVF is an optical finder that just shows a close reference to the framing of the image.
    There is usually parallax involved. There are no issues with changing light conditions.
    It's a great way to work but not as accurate as an EVF....

If your near Philly, you can try my Leica finders.
    I have an EVF for my GXR but never use it.
  11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The EVF gives a direct view from the sensor. An accessory OVF (the kind that you'd use with the GX1) is just a small glass 'window' that approximates the angle-of-view seen by a particular lens.

The disadvantage with an accessory OVF is that it's solely a framing device, and a limited one at that. The framing isn't particularly accurate (it may show things that will not be captured, or not show things that will be), and it only shows one angle-of-view - so you have to buy one for each lens you have (to match the focal length). Moreover, it can't zoom, so it only makes sense with prime lenses. Also it provides no information regarding focus (where it is, what part of the image is in focus).

The EVF has none of these disadvantages - you see what the sensor sees - both in terms of framing and focus. There's no issue with zooming or framing accuracy. The EVF can also display additional information (exposure information, live histogram, gridlines, AF point, etc.) on demand.

• Like Like x 1